OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 423, 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 13:46 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
chopblock wrote:
This is my attempt at the BH Shove Topspin from 1.5 weeks ago (i.e. before watching the official video). I tried to copy the stroke from Brett's short video he previously posted in this thread (he also provided comments on shadowswings I had sent to him directly). Some questions:

(1) Brett, does the shadow swing look ok?

What I find interesting and frustrating is that my actual stroke is different (imo I need to bow forward more and shove directly forward) than the shadowswing -- this happens to me quite a lot. I look at the recording after returning home because I don't want to keep my practice partner waiting.

(2) Any advice on how to minimize the difference between shadowswing and actual stroke? Do you recommend practicing the shadowswing more often?

https://youtu.be/nNcHxXv3K_4

Just in case this gets lost - there is nothing wrong with having more than one backhand topspin shot IMO (or more than one kind of forehand topspin shot either). I tend to do something more like the shove when I counter a topspin ball, but something with more elbow driven action (and sometimes more wrist usage) when I want to loop backspin or play a spin shot from off the table with more venom.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 13:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
My backhand is a mix of all kinds of things - shove, twist, arm usage, and none of them done 100%... what the heck...

https://youtu.be/0jAftP-e0xA?t=264

:D :D :D

If you want pure shove, focus on exaggerating the body movement and do it all earlier. Get your non-playing arm going forward too, at least for now. The non-playing arm will help to eliminate twisting if that's your goal.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 14:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
chopblock wrote:
This is my attempt at the BH Shove Topspin from 1.5 weeks ago (i.e. before watching the official video). I tried to copy the stroke from Brett's short video he previously posted in this thread (he also provided comments on shadowswings I had sent to him directly). Some questions:

(1) Brett, does the shadow swing look ok?

What I find interesting and frustrating is that my actual stroke is different (imo I need to bow forward more and shove directly forward) than the shadowswing -- this happens to me quite a lot. I look at the recording after returning home because I don't want to keep my practice partner waiting.

(2) Any advice on how to minimize the difference between shadowswing and actual stroke? Do you recommend practicing the shadowswing more often?

https://youtu.be/nNcHxXv3K_4

Just in case this gets lost - there is nothing wrong with having more than one backhand topspin shot IMO (or more than one kind of forehand topspin shot either). I tend to do something more like the shove when I counter a topspin ball, but something with more elbow driven action (and sometimes more wrist usage) when I want to loop backspin or play a spin shot from off the table with more venom.

Right.

For example, when you go back from the table, you could add a twist and a more rounded arm movement.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 14:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Here is my first attempt:

It's very very hard to remove the wrist whip. I was of course trying different things here, like using both arms, then 1 arm. I wasn't even really focused on the ball.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 14:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

It's very very hard to remove the wrist whip. I was of course trying different things here, like using both arms, then 1 arm. I wasn't even really focused on the ball.

The body movement is flawless but you need to shove your arm out much lower.

Try to get the feeling that you are hitting down on the ball and throwing your arm low and forward.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 15:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

Try to get the feeling that you are hitting down on the ball and throwing your arm low and forward.

The closest one was at 00:20

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 15:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

The closest one was at 00:20

I must disagree, the one at 10 seconds was best. In fact all of them with 2 arms were better. I can see a change when I go to 1 arm. I'm going to stick to 2 arms for a little bit and see if that helps.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 15:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
I must disagree, the one at 10 seconds was best. In fact all of them with 2 arms were better. I can see a change when I go to 1 arm. I'm going to stick to 2 arms for a little bit and see if that helps.

No, they really weren't. Let's take a vote then - All two arms, or the one at 00:20?

I'm just kidding about the vote. You need to get your arms coming through low. Avoid the wrist follow through on this one. Don't go to bed tonight until you get this right, okay?

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2020, 20:44 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
wilkinru wrote:

It will get better but the ball quality looks pretty good. Tuck your arm in towards your chest more. I think taking the backswing further gives you more room to come forward and straight into the ball.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 00:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

It will get better but the ball quality looks pretty good. Tuck your arm in towards your chest more. I think taking the backswing further gives you more room to come forward and straight into the ball.

I think this is a good tip for everyone.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 04:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Quote:

Alright I will try this later. I had to sleep on what it meant. Just got done with my cov19 three hour daily training camp.

Brett we need more content. Now is the time for really working on technique.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 11:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
wilkinru wrote:

:o :o :o

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 12:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Quote:

Alright I will try this later. I had to sleep on what it meant. Just got done with my cov19 three hour daily training camp.

I'll make you a deal...post a video with a correct shove and I'll post another video within 24 hours. deal?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 03:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Newest entry:

Looks like I have another 8 hours to get a good one in, if this one isn't it.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 07:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
Footwork is way overrated imo.

Indeed! Topspin technique is IMO overrated too. Just push and block, should be enough to reach 2200 USATT at least, probably even higher.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 423, 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429 ... 568  Next