OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 13:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Two-speed Blades
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 05:37 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Could those with experience offer their observations and general advice on two-speed blades, as a thing?

My coach suggested to me that I might like to try one, since I like my BH to be slow and controlled, but attack with my FH and with my current (slow) blade, it's quite an effort to generate a lot of spin and power, compared to even an ALL+/OFF- blade. I could move to a faster blade, but at the cost of losing the braking effect of my LP on the slow blade, so the idea has merit.

I know DMS and S&T make them, and there's the faithful old Hallmark Aurora.

Are they worth trying? What are the advantages & disadvantages? Is it just a bit of a gimmick?

Post subject: Re: Two-speed Blades
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 05:47 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I've tried many of them and always went back to one-speed blades because I like slow and controlled on both sides. Made too many mistakes on the fast side. You might like it if you can control it.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 06:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
The Pimplepark Murus looks interesting at a reasonable price on tt11

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 21:51 

To your multi-question: (1) in general, combi blades are definitely worth it. in particular, it depends on your tactics and preferred form of play. If you see your play as producing a setup in order to "kill", then combi blades are lovely. Why? From my pov, there are three forms of winning points: change in speed, spin and/or placement. The combi blade gives you the flexibility and power to make those changes. Let's face it: we neither have the time nor age to play at a pro level. Therefore, SPEED of foot, stroke, reaction time and spin are not going to win matches, all things being equal. As a result, inducing "errors" that allow you to win points is a viable tactic for lower level players, eg under 2000-2500. (2) in my experience with straight, stiff, offensive and defensive blades plus combis, the benefits of combis are clear. Of the combis, only one or two blade developers are clearly heads and shoulders above the rest. Achim Rendler (of Re-Impact and some Dr. Neubauer blades), IMO, is the one you can close your eyes and know that the blade fits your style. Yes, it may cost a bit more than an Aurora but the blades will last half your lifetime so the cost per year is low. Have you ever seen Samsonov's, Boll's etc blades? They're used, almost battered, reflecting the time spent on their hands. A blade is an investment and probably--unlike most Western thinking--the most important piece of equipment in your tt hands.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 22:06 

Blade: OSP Imune Pushblocker
FH: Yasaka Rakza Z
BH: DrNeubauer TroubleMaker
I think we can't speak really of two speed for a blade because due to the blade we can't have a real strong difference between the 2 faces.
Instead of two speed, i prefer to speak of two side characteristics, for exemple i use a OSP Pushblocker blade, the face of this blade are very different (One face for topspin with backside and One face for playing with a LP) the speed are not very different but the LP side has a harder outer ply that makes the ball having a low throw and so you can keep the ball low in block or chop.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 23:36 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Chinese brands also have two-speed blades if you want to test with cheaper cost.

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2017, 10:55 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Derf59 wrote:
I think we can't speak really of two speed for a blade because due to the blade we can't have a real strong difference between the 2 faces.
Instead of two speed, i prefer to speak of two side characteristics, for exemple i use a OSP Pushblocker blade, the face of this blade are very different (One face for topspin with backside and One face for playing with a LP) the speed are not very different but the LP side has a harder outer ply that makes the ball having a low throw and so you can keep the ball low in block or chop.
Ahh!!!

http://ospblades.com/combi-wood-pushblocker/

| really looking for blade that slower on the hard side,

Thanks Derf! ;)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2020, 02:22 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

For what it's worth - just came across this.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32916177003.html

I kinda like the handle, though it'd look nicer with thinner sheets of wood. Note the grain direction on the back side... THAT'S unusual. What is it.. bare paulownia?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2020, 19:42 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
I really like the Sauer & Troga Black & White blade as it has a fast, spinny but controlled forehand with a rubber like Rasanter R42 whilst the back hand is a bit slower and softer in feel which quite suits faster SP's or MP rubbers with thin sponge . Not sure about OX LP on BH though as the softish outer plies may not be that effective for max spin reversal

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 00:57 
Super User

Snawei Even 7 (I think), is another combi blade...

However, the one I want is the Friendship/729 Hao Shuai Champion Carbon .... Sadly, it seems to be discontinued... If anyone knows where to get it from, please do let me know

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 03:02 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
ootbs wrote:

However, the one I want is the Friendship/729 Hao Shuai Champion Carbon .... Sadly, it seems to be discontinued... If anyone knows where to get it from, please do let me know

https://www.spinfactory.de/hoelzer/729-hao-shuai-champion-carbon.html?___store=en&___from_store=de

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 06:44 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I have some "two speed" blades which were custom made by Peter Freundlieb. I discussed my needs with him and he suggested core thickness, and which veneers would suit my style on each side. At the time I went with a hard veneer on my BH as i used SP's and liked to counter hit / block with them and a softer wood on my FH which was better suited to spinning the ball. Most impressive with his bats though were the handles. They didn't look like much but were very comfy.

I've now stopped using SP's - currently using Hurricane 8 Hard on my BH and use a thinner soft sponge rubber on my FH (stiga calibra tour S 1.9mm). I like the flexibility that comes with having slightly different feels on both sides of the bat and glad I made the switch. I played with a Nittaku Acoustic Carbon for about 6 months but still returned to my custom blade which was 1/6th of the price. There is a thread on this forum about Peter and his blades. Unfortunatley I think due to ill health he no longer makes them. Nice guy and very helpful with amazing prices.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 07:10 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
I've used Achim Rendler's two-speed Re-Impact blades for some time now and highly recommend them. They're not the cheapest blades in the world, but they're also high quality, super light, can have customized features, etc. I love the Tachi Plus 2019 that I've been using as my primary blade, for instance.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2020, 15:47 
Super User

merlin el mago wrote:
ootbs wrote:

https://www.spinfactory.de/hoelzer/729-hao-shuai-champion-carbon.html?___store=en&___from_store=de

many thanks ... €43 + shipping is on the expensive side ... However, I will strongly consider it ..

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 04:28 
Super User

Sorry for resurrecting this thread :rofl:

I am looking for a chopper attackers 2 speed blade.
Fh speed around off- backhand defensive if possible.
It needs to chop and loop very good.

Has anybodt tried Zeus of Firestarter from Sauer and Tröger ?