OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 15:25

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 13:48 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome pongz.

Great to hear all the different ways.

I think you're right, it will be similar to the glass technique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 19:23 
Angel of Abbyss

Damned, I can't see the video, they now asked to add a tool bar to use megaupload :evil:

http://www.diabolosyl.net (my own site)
http://www.tennis-de-table.com (biggest forum in France)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 20:40 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I just tried it myself...I seemed like I could download it OK, but it came up with another pop-up window, which i just closed, so I think you can still download it without the toolbat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2007, 00:30 
Don Skaffa

I'm also wondering about Long lasting speed glue (bty millenium chack being the most well known).
How would this shift the balance of speed and spin compared to normal speedglue, would it deliver more spin or more speed or maybe even both?
And would the amount of layers have a great influence?
Maybe even more important, will it wear out rubbers even faster than normal speedglue? even if you would only glue 2 times long lasting in contrast to 3-4 times speedglue a week?
Maybe its usefull to put something like this in the hints and tips section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2007, 10:34 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Long life speed glues give more speed than spin, in comparison to "normal" speed glues. Both are still increased, but the increase in spin is less. This probably doesn't matter with tacky rubbers as much as euro rubbers.

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 03:08 

Blade: Victas Koji Offensive
FH: Hurricane 3 neo 2.1 black
BH: Victas P1V 1.5 red
haggisv wrote:
I thought I'd get a topic going on how people speed glue. There seem to be a wide range of different ways of doing it..and I don't think there's a correct way, whatever works for YOU.

Well I personally use Tibhar Rapid Clean Delux most of the time, which is one of the long lasting glues, but I occasionally use the Dawei normal speed glue, so I'll briefly cover how I glue for each of them.

For a new rubber I prime the rubber first. This means putting a few layers of normal speed glue (in my case the Dawei one) on first. I usually add 2 to 3 layers, just enough to get a slight dome, then I leave it at least overnight.

When I'm ready to glue:

Tibhar: I put on one fairly thicker layer, spread it out evenly over the whole surface. I leave this for abuot 1 hour. Then I put a thin layer of normal glue or Dawei speed glue just on the blade to make it stick better. I put the rubber on, starting just above the handle, and use a roller and roll it on, not too hard, but fairly firm so that not too much tensioning/stretch is caused by the rolling effect. The I immediately clamp it and leave it at least 12 hours before I use it.

Dawei speed glue: I put on a thicker layer and really rub it in with the brush, especially in the middle part. Then I wait till it's touch dry, and add another layer. If this gets a decent dome after about 5mins, I put a thin layer onto the blade and put the rubber on with the roller as before. If it has not domed much, I keep adding layers (up to 4) until it does dome, and then put the rubber onto the blade. I put in in the clamp, and wait for about 15mins before I use it....

Is that true that if you use speed glue it is easier to unglue a rubber? Should I use speed glue?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 13:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

You do realize the last post was in 2007? :lol:

First of all.. where are you going to get speed glue? Most of it's gone, though you can actually get some of the mild stuff ("low VOC") from China. Or you could look around for the "bicycle glue" people were using back in the 1970s before table tennis companies actually started selling speed glue. And I've seen home-made speed glue for sale in shops in Indonesia. I'm not familiar with the 2007-vintage speed glues (the stuff I used back around 1999 was probably VERY different) but the stuff I used would only last for 2-3 hours before you had to re-glue, which meant removing the rubber. And everyone would remove the rubber immediately after playing, because the rubber would shrink and people thought it would get damaged if it remained stuck to the blade. Rubber didn't last long back then, you had to apply it to the blade before every playing session and remove it afterwards. The glue wasn't cheap, either.

As far as ease of removing the rubber - yeah, all this stuff about blades getting damaged and glues which stick too tight started when people started using water-based glues. I quit using water based glues a couple years back, and now use Elmer's Rubber Cement, which is what we used back then then when we were NOT speed gluing.

Dang.. I have to find out more about this "glass technique" Haggis mentions... Never heard of that one before. It doesn't even sound necessary, since we ALWAYS got a "nice dome" by just putting a puddle of the glue on the sponge (and I mean a puddle), spreading it around and waiting for about 10 minutes. Do it too much and you got too much dome. That Megaupload link is long, long dead - the guy running Megaupload (I think he actually changed his named to "Kim Dotcom" :lol: ) got arrested and put in jail years ago. Wonder if it's on YouTube somewhere. If someone has the video, please upload it to YouTube and post a link here.

Oh.. searching for "Speed Glue" on YouTube came up with this:

No, I didn't watch more than 20 seconds of it, I can't stand that sort of music. I wonder why "Taipan" would be a "stupid name" - Australians would be offended, I think.. (Or people from Hong Kong) :lol: I thought "American Gum" would be Elmer's Rubber Cement... :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 14:35 

iskandar taib wrote:
You do realize the last post was in 2007? :lol:

First of all.. where are you going to get speed glue? Most of it's gone, though you can actually get some of the mild stuff ("low VOC") from China. Or you could look around for the "bicycle glue" people were using back in the 1970s before table tennis companies actually started selling speed glue. And I've seen home-made speed glue for sale in shops in Indonesia. I'm not familiar with the 2007-vintage speed glues (the stuff I used back around 1999 was probably VERY different) but the stuff I used would only last for 2-3 hours before you had to re-glue, which meant removing the rubber. And everyone would remove the rubber immediately after playing, because the rubber would shrink and people thought it would get damaged if it remained stuck to the blade. Rubber didn't last long back then, you had to apply it to the blade before every playing session and remove it afterwards. The glue wasn't cheap, either.

As far as ease of removing the rubber - yeah, all this stuff about blades getting damaged and glues which stick too tight started when people started using water-based glues. I quit using water based glues a couple years back, and now use Elmer's Rubber Cement, which is what we used back then then when we were NOT speed gluing.

Dang.. I have to find out more about this "glass technique" Haggis mentions... Never heard of that one before. It doesn't even sound necessary, since we ALWAYS got a "nice dome" by just putting a puddle of the glue on the sponge (and I mean a puddle), spreading it around and waiting for about 10 minutes. Do it too much and you got too much dome. That Megaupload link is long, long dead - the guy running Megaupload (I think he actually changed his named to "Kim Dotcom" :lol: ) got arrested and put in jail years ago. Wonder if it's on YouTube somewhere. If someone has the video, please upload it to YouTube and post a link here.

Oh.. searching for "Speed Glue" on YouTube came up with this:

No, I didn't watch more than 20 seconds of it, I can't stand that sort of music. I wonder why "Taipan" would be a "stupid name" - Australians would be offended, I think.. (Or people from Hong Kong) :lol: I thought "American Gum" would be Elmer's Rubber Cement... :lol:

Iskandar

Hi, I can buy speed glue on local country table tennis store or order some from China. What is thag Elmers Rubber cement?

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 16:01 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Very easy to find in the US, not so easy outside.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 16:28 

iskandar taib wrote:

Very easy to find in the US, not so easy outside.

Iskandar

Thanks, I found it on some website so I can buy it in my country. Should I also lacquer the blade or is this glue enough to prevent from splintering? (I'm a beginner and my first ever blade splintered).

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 20:09 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I would varnish the blade as a matter of course, just in case.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 21:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

-- Zippo fuel
--Toluene
--Limonene

Devil likes you all.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2020, 22:25 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Naah, those don't work.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 00:46 

iskandar taib wrote:
Naah, those don't work.

Iskandar

How do you use that elmers glue? Do you have to wait till it dries or not? How much of it do you use?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2020, 02:24 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

More or less the same way as with water based glue, except you don't have to wait as long and you don't need 2-3 layers. Apply a generous layer to the sponge, and a layer on the blade. Allow maybe 3-4 minutes to dry, then stick together. Before applying the glue I trace around the blade on the sponge, this allows me to limit the glue on the sponge to the area in contact with the blade. Allow maybe 5-10mm around the marked outline in case you don't get the blade and outline exactly aligned. Make sure the rubber is securely attached (no bubbles), then cut around the blade with a knife or scissors.

Iskandar