OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2020, 22:19 

Blade: TSP Ctrl / Yasaka Xtra
FH: CJ8000 / MkV
BH: CJ8000 / MkV
oldhands wrote:
Hi NissanskylineN1, when we can restart playing again , I hope you will enjoy your new racket from TT11.
Allow some time to get used to the feel of the new bat, the Mark V rubbers are quite different from the
Tsp you have. Please keep us posted , when you can, on how you are getting along with your new set up.

Iskandar, from a sense of nostalgia, I was wondering if you ever had the chance to try the
gold Tornado or the Black Power from Yasaka and what your playing impressions where.

oldhands

Hey!
I really am enjoying the bat and the level of craftmanship they put into its assembly. I've been playing table tennis with my father for about an hour and a half every night since we have a table in our basement. I am trying to take good care of the racket for now - wipe down with damp cloth after every session and store in a case.

The rubber feels fantastic! I find that it is slightly faster than the old TSP/Spectol, especially at the time when it comes off the racket. My father (opponent) says it is much faster than the TSP and he has to work harder to return the ball. I also find that it is moderately more spinny than the old Spectol. It also grips the ball REALLY well and is super consistent! I'm not sure how much of it is because the Spectol rubber is now 30 years old and it just hardens over time. I also find that it sounds a little more springy than the Spectol, you can really hear and feel the elasticity of the rubber. Overall, I find that it is much easier to play far away from the table and to induce top spin. Chops are a little tricky, blocks are effortless, forehand and backhand topspin is also very rewarding and consistent.

As for the blade, I do find it significantly thicker and heavier than what I had before. I weighed both rackets: the TSP is 145g and the Yasaka is 170g. I have much more shots hitting the side of my racket and hitting the ceiling now. I also find that it is more difficult in transitioning between fore and backhand due to the weight - the racket feels like a mini hammer. I feel that this will take more time to adjust, but when I go back to the TSP/Spectol I find that it is less physically demanding and much more nimble.

PostPosted: 09 May 2020, 23:01 

:Chop: Hey all,

So I ordered some CJ 8000s for the TSP and I made the racket yesterday!
Getting the old Spectol off was a pain and I had to use a damp cloth with a hot iron to get it off the racket. Then I used 3000 grit sandpaper on the handle and the face off the blade itself to make sure the surfaces are clean and like-new. I used rubber cement, a cutting knife, and a rolling pin to put the rubbers on. I have attached pics at the bottom of this post. However, I have a few questions now:

1) The rubber feels tackier than the Mark V, which I find is helping me return low shots much easier over the net. I find that when I try to brush the ball with the Mark V, sometimes it just fails to grip the ball and the ball literally slides down and falls onto the floor. Is this okay? Should I be using that rubber instead?

2) The TSP is lighter and much more balanced in terms of weight. I can return more shots with greater accuracy than I can with my Yasaka Classic Extra with the Mark V rubbers. I find that my Yasaka racket is much more head heavy and feels like a hammer. Why do people reccommend it if its more wieldly? Is it supposed to be like this? What's the benefit of this?

3) I'm finding that the TSP has very little sound now but still vibrates if I hit it in the sweet spot. My Yasaka is the opposite. Which one is supposed to be good?

Attachments:
IMG_3836.jpg
IMG_3836.jpg [ 195.78 KiB | Viewed 971 times ]
IMG_3821.jpg
IMG_3821.jpg [ 189.53 KiB | Viewed 971 times ]
IMG_3817.jpg
IMG_3817.jpg [ 133.75 KiB | Viewed 971 times ]
IMG_3813.jpg
IMG_3813.jpg [ 118.1 KiB | Viewed 971 times ]

PostPosted: 10 May 2020, 02:49 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Generally table tennis glue is designed so that rubber is easily removed, the old Butterfly Chack was one of these. The rubber should have pulled right off without coming apart. Elmer's Rubber Cement also behaves like this. So do the newfangled water based cements, though they hold on tighter and can cause damage to the blade if the blade isn't sealed. If you need to dissolve the old glue to remove the rubber I'd suggest Ronson lighter fluid - it dissolves glue pretty easily and evaporates leaving no residue.

Now, the sort of pre-made bat you find at Wal-Mart - THOSE have rubber that's been staked on.. almost impossible to remove without a LOT of effort.

CJ8000 is a tacky Chinese rubber, while Mark V is non-tacky, hence the difference. CJ8000 does seem to have a softer topsheet than most Chinese sheets, and is excellent EXCEPT that it often has this "dish", where the sandwich curls towards the sponge side. This can make it difficult to apply to the blade, especially if you're a beginner at gluing rubbers. This is the reason I never recommend it to beginners - I've seen others recommend treating it with such stuff as boosters and baby oil to make the sponge expand before applying the rubber to the blade.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 10:36 

I have a bat with cj8000, the soft one I think it’s 36 hardness. It plays well, definitely not as much spin and speed as the tensors I usually play with, but it only takes a few minutes to adjust so that I would happily play a match with it if I had to. I often use it for blocking while my son practices his forehands. My sheets are not tacky though, just grippy. I think other versions of cj8000 have a tacky top sheet, must try some. I have bought half dozen sheets over the last two years and they have all been flat no curl.

PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 10:52 

Nissan, if you want to, you should try some modern tensor rubbers on either your old blades or the Sweden extra. You will definitely feel more zing when you are playing. Something like Rakza 7 from TT11 is actually not much more than mark v, in fact if you buy four for the price of three then it may even work out cheaper per sheet. I’ve been using Rakza 7 soft and like the way it feels. It has a slightly tacky top sheet and I don’t have problems with balls slipping.

PostPosted: 12 May 2020, 11:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Yes, I agree you should TRY one of the modern Tensor(oids). Rakza 7 if you want something soft and controllable, something like Evolution MX-P if you want to see what a really fast and spinny rubber is like. Whether you're pleased and find it a quantum leap, or like me, end up disappointed and wondering what all the hype was about, remains to be seen. To be honest, I found even MX-P and Tenergy 05 (a $75 rubber!) to be, meh.. very good rubbers indeed, but nothing to write home about. Controllable and easy to use. But then again I didn't put them on ultra-fast carbon blades like a lot of beginners tend to do.

By the way, if you've gotten to the point where you've sanded the faces smooth, make sure you varnish the blade before applying the new rubber. Lots and lots of discussion threads about varnishing blades if you look around.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 May 2020, 23:24 

iskandar taib wrote:
By the way, if you've gotten to the point where you've sanded the faces smooth, make sure you varnish the blade before applying the new rubber. Lots and lots of discussion threads about varnishing blades if you look around.

Iskandar

Should I varnish/seal the blade even if I use Elmer's rubber cement? I thought someone said here that I should do it only if I use the water-based glues.

1shot wrote:
Nissan, if you want to, you should try some modern tensor rubbers on either your old blades or the Sweden extra. You will definitely feel more zing when you are playing. Something like Rakza 7 from TT11 is actually not much more than mark v, in fact if you buy four for the price of three then it may even work out cheaper per sheet. I’ve been using Rakza 7 soft and like the way it feels. It has a slightly tacky top sheet and I don’t have problems with balls slipping.

I don't think I'm looking for more "zing" per se. I have enough muscle (I used to hit the gym daily before COVID) so I am able to hit the ball as hard as I need it to go. What I'm really looking for is something that will help me return low balls easier on the forehand. I've tried putting more topspin on the ball to get it over the net but it just ends up arcing into the net (maybe its my technique?). Therefore, I would actually prefer something that provides more feedback (both from sound and feeling) and control to me. I really do not like the mallet/sledgehammer feeling of the Sweden Extra - although it helps with providing me momentum on my backhand, it makes it awkward for me to switch from forehand to backhand and vice versa. Its really wieldly.

1shot wrote:
I have a bat with cj8000, the soft one I think it’s 36 hardness. It plays well, definitely not as much spin and speed as the tensors I usually play with, but it only takes a few minutes to adjust so that I would happily play a match with it if I had to. I often use it for blocking while my son practices his forehands. My sheets are not tacky though, just grippy. I think other versions of cj8000 have a tacky top sheet, must try some. I have bought half dozen sheets over the last two years and they have all been flat no curl.

I really like the CJ8000 - at least on the TSP. It provides more of an attacking feeling and the grippy/tackiness makes it more forgiving (kinda like game improvement irons in golfing). It lets me lift the ball more on my forehand and get it over the net easier. However, I've found that the TSP blade is thin for the new 40mm balls and I often get a strong vibration in the hand if I apply lots of power (as if its gonna crack the blade). Maybe it also could be that the 36-38 sponge is too soft?

PostPosted: 17 May 2020, 07:27 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I'd varnish it anyway.. get the edges and handles too, and it'll keep moisture out - we often use water to clean rubber.

Iskandar