OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 19:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
For those of you that play hardbat, what blades (and rubbers) from the mainstream manufacturers do you find suitable for hardbat?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 21:45 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
Dr Evil for me, but I've only tried it on that slow blade I made with the laser cutter (still double-sided taped together :lol: ), so it was extremely slow... wil probably true on something a bit faster.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 12:48 
Super User

I'm using Friendship 802 OX short pips on a Butterfly Matsushita Pro Special blade (willow/carbon). I've not really used hardbat type rubbers before (only long pips with no sponge), so I don't know whether it would be considered traditional hardbat, but I find it makes for a very nice combination, and I'm starting to play quite well with it actually!

Chopping was quite easy to pick up, the attacking took a little bit longer to find the right bat angle but I'm getting there.

At any rate, it is a lot of fun to play with and it has gotten me quite a bit of attention at the club when people hear the sound of a hardbat thwocking the ball! ;)

Greg

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 01:37 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The hardbat topspin drive is a little different - very short backswing if any, concave bat path, ending up over your head. If against backspin (lots of chop vs. topspin drive rallies in hardbat, or at least there were in the past), it's even done with an open racket face. Check out all those old hardbat videos on YouTube.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 02:17 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
I thought it has to be all-wood for the blade?!

I guess I'd use Sword 309 with WP1013 and 802-40 if I'd gave it a try.

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 02:23 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Red wrote:
I thought it has to be all-wood for the blade?!

I guess I'd use Sword 309 with WP1013 and 802-40 if I'd gave it a try.

I think it has to be all-wood for official hardbat tournaments, at least in the US. However, to explore 'hardbat-style' TT, you can use any combination of blade and OX rubbers, purists be damned.

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 02:29 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There's some evidence that some rubbers used during the "classic" period (1930s-1950s) were actually quite long-pipped.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 11:11 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Thanks guys!

My main question was really about what current blades are suitable for hardbat style play. Are we saying any all-wood blade would do? Were they usually fast blades? Were they stiff, hard, etc?

PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 02:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The classic old hardbat blades were generally:

1) Bigger than current blades, what we'd call "oversized".

2) Often three or five ply. Forget what the classic Hocks were made of, I think basswood. Bernard Hock had the plywood made at a factory to his specs, rather than gluing it up himself. The three ply blades were slower and meant for choppers, the five plies were for allround or attacking play. I think the consensus is they were slower than current five ply blades.

3) I think most people used ST handles (Bernard Hock was ADAMANT that FL handles didn't have any control).

Aside from this, the sides were usually rounded. You used a file to cut the rubber to size, and you'd probably end up filing away some of the wood.

So.. what modern mass-produced blades fit the bill? Probably most of them are usable enough, but the closest I've heard of to the old blades would be those KTL/LKT Toxic blades. Actually, I wouldn't mind getting one or two myself, just for hardbat. Don't seem to be made any more, though, at least Eacheng doesn't seem to sell them any more. Failing that, I suppose something like an oversized Stiga Allround Classic would be nice. I'm sure a M8 would work, but it's got a normal-sized head.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 12:09 

Blade: Gambler Oversize Kevlar
FH: RITC 802 OX
BH: RITC 802 OX
I was a full-time hardbat player (mostly against sponge players) for about 10 years with an LKT Toxic 3 with Dr. Evil. For what it is worth, I am primarily a hitter.

PostPosted: 20 May 2020, 15:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

steveh wrote:
I was a full-time hardbat player (mostly against sponge players) for about 10 years with an LKT Toxic 3 with Dr. Evil. For what it is worth, I am primarily a hitter.

Wow, I would have thought the Toxic 3 was too slow for hitting...

PostPosted: 23 May 2020, 00:10 

Blade: Gambler Oversize Kevlar
FH: RITC 802 OX
BH: RITC 802 OX
For me, at least with hardbat, the blade is everything. The shot I win most points with is a hard, flat hit, and the Toxic 3 is plenty fast. It usually takes a few topspin drives to lead up to that flat hit, though, and I find that a soft/slow blade allows me to produce enough topspin to bring those drives down on the table. Other hardbatters prefer faster, harder blades, but I have found nothing I like better than the Toxic 3.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!