OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 19:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Article: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... nt-weikert

Quote:
Two of the most senior officials at the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) have started a campaign to drum up opposition to President Thomas Weikert and find a suitable candidate to stand against him in 2021.

In a joint statement, ITTF Deputy President Khalil Al-Mohannadi and executive vice-president for finance Petra Sörling raised several concerns with Weikert's leadership and expressed their hope that he is not re-elected next year.

They claim to offer a "new direction for the ITTF membership under the leadership of a new President" in the letter, sent to members of the ITTF by the Swedish Table Tennis Association (SBTF).

Weikert announced in February that he would stand for a second four-year stint at the helm of the worldwide governing body, despite his previous insistence that he would only hold the role for one full term.

It is not clear whether either Al-Mohannadi and Sörling are considering a run at the Presidency in 2021.

Sörling declined to reveal her own intentions when contacted by insidethegames but said she would have more information after the pandemic has passed.

The SBTF President added the letter had been sent to start "internal discussions" within the ITTF and the response to the COVID-19 pandemic remained the highest priority.

The two Executive Committee members criticised Weikert's handling of the coronavirus crisis.

Al-Mohannadi and Sörling denounced the German, elected President in 2017 but who has served in the role since 2014 after replacing Adham Sharara mid-term, for a "lack of strategical and constructive initiatives... to safeguard the ITTF from a structural and financial point of view in these difficult times".

They also claimed Weikert had placed his own interests ahead of those of the Federation.

The two officials allege Weikert has made "several moves and contacting national association representatives around the world, clearly with the aim to strengthen his own election platform, instead of following the decision making and meeting protocol of the ITTF Executive Committee".

Some may point out that Al-Mohannadi and Sörling also appear to be playing politics at a time where Federations, including the ITTF, are fighting for survival because of the pandemic and the financial implications of the decision to postpone the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

Weikert's "perspectives on global leadership... lack necessary depth and true understanding", Al-Mohannadi and Sörling added.

The ITTF has suspended all of its events until at least July in response to the crisis, while this year's World Team Table Tennis Championships have also been postponed.

The tournament in Busan has been provisionally rescheduled for September 27 to October 4, but is likely to be pushed back again.

Weikert and senior staff at the ITTF have agreed to reduce their salary to mitigate the financial impact of the COVID-19 virus on the worldwide governing body.

When contacted by insidethegames, Weikert said he was not in a position to comment immediately but would do soon.

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 19:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Weikert's response:

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles ... hip-claims

PostPosted: 25 May 2020, 21:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Doubles and Mixes fired from all events forthcoming in 2020. (2021 ??)

PostPosted: 28 May 2020, 17:35 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Quite interesting how that'll go.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 06:11 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
Weikert promised "transparency" then didn't deliver. Remember how hard it was to get minutes on ITTF meetings? His main initiatives were the failed TTX fiasco and multi-colored colored rubbers. His reign after the corrupt Sharara regime has been utterly forgettable.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 06:23 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Any more news about the elections?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2020, 08:35 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Nothing new.

It's usually harder running against an incumbent. Al-Mohannadi and Sörling were probably counting on Weikert honoring his pledge to only run for one term.

Al-Mohannadi previously ran for ITTF president against Weikert in 2017 but then withdrew, throwing his support behind Weikert against Saive. Maybe Weikert promised Al-Mohannadi his support in the 2021 election?

Sörling is a very ambitious woman who has been on the executive committee for a long time. She likely thinks the time is right for the first female ITTF president.

Perhaps Saive will decide to run again since he only lost to Weikert by 28 votes.

Sharara is a darkhorse candidate. He's currently suspended by the ITTF for three more years. The terms of his suspension are he is not to participate in any capacity in a competition or activity organized by either the ITTF or any ITTF member federation.

But get this.

Sharara is openly defying that suspension and is currently the president of the Canadian federation (TTCAN). Sharara claims the ITTF suspension is specifically designed by Weikert to keep him from running for ITTF president again in 2021.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Sharara somehow weasels his way back into the ITTF presidency with Al-Mohannadi's and Sörling's help.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2020, 15:26 

Blade: Grubba
FH: Tenergy
BH: Desto
It will only get much worse for Weikert after December 15

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2020, 22:23 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Adham Sharara

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 06:52 
Joo Too
Joo Too

mynamenotbob wrote:
Adham Sharara

?

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 06:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

CHINA GOES ON MARKETING JUNK RUBBERS IN PLENTY. ITTF SITS DORMANT.
ITTF IS NOW OUGHT to enact a set of Marketing Regulations mandatory for all manufacturers, CHINESE included.

Chinese DHS does now make a solid profit from the ITTF T4 omission of not having any control over the many unrecognizable and low-quality rubber products on market. ITTF did a fatal omission. It its time to redress the omission in most urgent manner.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2020, 08:39 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Lorre wrote:
mynamenotbob wrote:
Adham Sharara

?

He's back. viewtopic.php?f=69&t=37433

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 07:18 

igorponger wrote:
CHINA GOES ON MARKETING JUNK RUBBERS IN PLENTY. ITTF SITS DORMANT.
ITTF IS NOW OUGHT to enact a set of Marketing Regulations mandatory for all manufacturers, CHINESE included.

And how do you plan to enforce that ? LOL
If I want to make a non-ITTF-approved rubber, all I need to do is simply start a separate new company for that.

This also assuming that the same company that manufactures ITTF approved rubbers is banned by ITTF from also making non-ITTF-approved rubbers. But I don't think it is. If you find a link (or a clause in ITTF handbook etc) that says so, please post it.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 08:01 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

ITTF jumped all over Dr. Neubauer when they tried to sell a non-ITTF approved rubber. But in China, it's totally OK. Unfair double standard.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 09:03 

mynamenotbob wrote:
ITTF jumped all over Dr. Neubauer when they tried to sell a non-ITTF approved rubber. But in China, it's totally OK. Unfair double standard.

I doubt very much this is true. Even true, as I said he could have easily bypassed it by starting another company.

I also doubt if it was ok in China, if this whole thing is true to start with, as I am still waiting to see a proof (link etc) where it says ITTF connected manufacturers are not allowed to make non-ITTF rubbers