OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2020, 11:20 

Blade: Stiga Defensive Classic
FH: Victas V>15 Extra 2.0
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5
Hey everyone! Long time member, hardly ever post but I had a question I was hoping get people's opinion on,

I live in the US, around 1900 USATT, I'm having to cut practice with live partners for now do to a large spike in Covid. Hoping I could still get some kind of practice in I crammed my table into the house and as well as a VERY old Newgy robot ( A 2040 I believe)

Problem is, the robot only can takes the old celluloid balls,

Looks like my options are,
1. Just play with old celluloid balls, will this screw up my technique and timing when I eventually return to the POLY?

or

2. Somehow modify the robot, if this is even an option?

Anyways, thanks appreciate any advice!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2020, 11:53 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I've seen one modified one, back when 40mm balls first came out. It was at the Indianapolis club.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2020, 15:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
If it's a 40mm Newgy 2040, then it should work ok with most 40+ polyballs as well. Some of the older models had a switch for either 38mm or 40mm balls, the current model does not have this switch anymore, it only works for 40mm balls.

However yours mighty perhaps be the much older 38mm ball 2040? This original 2040 could only take 38mm balls, which will be hard to find.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2020, 06:40 

Thanks for the reply!

It's hard to say because I got it second-hand a few years back. Funnily enough the control box says 2000, yet the head says 2040 (just noticed the switch for 38!), I suspect that it was upgraded for the 40 ball in the past.

I did try to load some of my cheap 1star plastic double-fish balls and they got stuck in the wheel.

Seems like the 40+ balls have quite some variance in size, maybe I'll try a different ball?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2020, 08:46 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Interesting...similar name, similar situation!

I am using a Newgy 2040 with the Nittaku "Japan Star," one star, 40+ balls and have had zero issues with jamming.

I still like to mix in old balls (and even cheap walmart ones) b/c I like how it varies the spin a bit more, making it more realistic.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2020, 12:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

JuicyHook wrote:
I suspect that it was upgraded for the 40 ball in the past.

Yes, the 2000 model was the original, before the 2040. Upgrade kits were always available to upgrade 2000 to 2040, so I think your're very likely correct.

If you have a box of 3* 40+ balls, try feeding those through, see if they stuck.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 04:21 

Thanks, great suggestion, I just tried my 3* nittaku 40+ and the robot shot them out no problem.

For whatever reason i guess it doesn't like my double fish, I'll probably order some of those Nittaku Japan-Star balls you suggested Joo Se Kev, best!

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 15:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes, the trouble is that there are really no regulations on what size 1* or 2* balls are supposed to be.
For some brands the 1* and 2* are those rejected from the 3* ball production (after sorting), in which case they are likely to be close in size, as the same machine is used to make all the balls.
When a company only makes 1* balls, there is no requirement to be this accurate in size, so there is the potential for them being significantly oversize.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 18:14 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Double Fish, though, is notable in making very good 3 star balls.

I don't know of any company that "only makes 1 star balls" - there are LOTS of brands of low quality balls, which are not ITTF approved, but they either don't use stars at all (you see these in grocery stores), or they mark them all as "three stars" :lol: I think Huieson actually uses four stars... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does ITTF actually mandate the use of three stars to denote approved balls? Or is it just a marketing thing that manufacturers all adhere to by fiat..

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!