OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 16:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 May 2020, 02:04 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJgiSdKHZbM

PostPosted: 07 May 2020, 03:35 

Blade: Darker Speed25pi
FH: Yinhe Earth II
I know this guy's channel and I admire the way he plays really much (I am subscribed even though I don't understand japanese :D ).
That particular twiddle technique is pretty advanced and it is quite hard to master. When I practice my twiddling I spin it the other way around, since you can hook your index faster (I have a jpen twiddle blade for experimenting).

PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 07:40 
Super User

Blade: DHS PowerG-9 OFF++
FH: Yasaka Rakza X
BH: Palio Thor
This is Coach Arai who developed jointly with Nittaku the Revo-Fusion and some of the other Revo- JPen and CPen rackets. I forget his full name :-D.

1. FH/BH-YRakza9/XOmegaVT
    2. FH/BH-TSP Spectol/Yinhe Qing OX
  • 729 Bomb C-P : FH/BH-DHS H2 Orig/DHS H3 Orig
  • TSP Versal :
    1. FH/BH-XOmegaVA/YJupiter-II
    2. FH/BH-*blank*
Fun blades:
  • Yasaka Battle Balsa(ST) : FH/BH- DHS TG2Neo/Gewo HypeXT 47
  • Dr. Neubauer
    High Technology
    Cypress-Carbon(ST)
    ***************************** : FH/BH-YRakza7/YRakza7
==========================================================

PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 20:59 

man_iii wrote:
This is Coach Arai who developed jointly with Nittaku the Revo-Fusion and some of the other Revo- JPen and CPen rackets. I forget his full name :-D.

arai tacshow i think

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 07:04 

Coach Arai’s twiddling is amazing; I have been a subscriber to his channel for quite awhile now. Since I don’t have those skills, but like having a jpen handle I can twiddle, I have modified the handles of some of my paddles. Here’s an example of one of my oversized Defplays:

Attachments:
5394D753-1354-4D1F-AD10-2C9302F76397.jpeg
5394D753-1354-4D1F-AD10-2C9302F76397.jpeg [ 108.27 KiB | Viewed 5669 times ]

Tibhar Genshu L Xiom Vega Pro 1.8 Tibhar Grass D.TecS 0.5
Stiga Clipper Cybershape Yasaka Rakza 7 1.8 Spinlord Blitzschlag OX

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 07:14 

I have been using the Defplay setup for > 1 yr now, twiddles easily for me.

I hacked off the top part of one of my cheap shakehand blades to try something similar; feels really comfortable and I’d like to try it with a penhold blade. I haven’t had a chance to play with it yet tho

Attachments:
D7F7CB35-123C-4A47-96C7-F2449D675403.jpeg
D7F7CB35-123C-4A47-96C7-F2449D675403.jpeg [ 13.97 KiB | Viewed 5668 times ]

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 19:04 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

There's a lot of Japanese penhold blades designed for twiddling. The first one I saw in a catalog was Butterfly's Rotor. See if you can find the Armstrong catalog - they sell a huge range of Japanese penhold blades of all sorts of shapes and sizes, about a third of them are Rotoroids.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2020, 22:00 

Many of those Armstrong blades look Interesting :up: I saw a guy with a BTY Garaydia Revolver once, with the thick “T” finger grip. I saw him RPB a little, but no twiddling, and I didn’t get the chance to speak with him. I owned a Yinhe Galaxy 989 with a similar shape about 3-4 years ago also—seemed very stable for RPB, but I couldn’t figure out how to twiddle it. If anyone in this forum twiddles one of those handles, especially with a thicker handle, it would be interesting to watch a video of them doing it! ;)

I’m always curious if it’s intended that the owners will just shave down the handles A LOT to their liking, how you often see standard jpen grips.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2020, 20:41 

Hello!
Here is how I twiddle with jpen at the moment. Haven't done it in a while so I am a little rusty.
I made this setup a while back and I switched recently from H2Neo to Yinhe Earth 2 on my one-sided main blade.
This setup is Yinhe 989 with 802-40 on Fh and H2Neo on Bh. I haven't used it much, but, if I intend to, I will switch out the inverted side for Earth 2.
https://imgur.com/a/pfGTx4m
I don't believe it counts as thick handle anymore, but it didn't really change how I twiddle. I shaved off quite a bit from the handle, but not because I couldn't flip it. I have a pic of how it looked before shaving it down.
If I end up using this in the future, I will have to learn RPB and how to play short pips forehand and TPB. I want to focus on proper technique with inverted before ever thinking of changing my playstyle (having RPB in my arsenal is very tempting, though :lol: ).

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2020, 05:37 

Wow, super impressive, Dragon20! :clap: :clap: :clap: Thanks very much for sharing :) What I find so interesting is that I’m a lefty also, but have always twiddled in the opposite direction...I suppose it always felt more natural that way. You do it so fast! I really need to practice and try out your way (seems impossible when I try right now). I have the Nittaku Sou MF R blade that Arai Tacshow promotes, but I had given up on twiddling it the way you both do, was thinking RPB only...but maybe I should persevere with learning another method. I twiddle fast enough for my purposes currently...we’ll see.

I do feel like twiddling can be beneficial in throwing off ur opponent if there’s something markedly different on the backside; otherwise the added weight just decreases control and agility. I really like using long pips ox on the BH—low weight and disruptive effect, but it has taken some time to learn (still learning!) and the bat angles differ, so that can be a challenge too. Once I decided I wanted to commit to long pips, RPB became a necessity! Having rpb in my arsenal has helped my game, and also because I had developed some soreness from tpb at one point. I am fairly comfortable with both now. But you’re right to focus on your existing technique first :up:

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2020, 06:36 

I also began with twiddling in the other direction and doing it this way seemed impossible, but by doing it like this you can make your twiddling faster and it enables multiple flips in one motion. What I find about doing it the other way is that you have a limit in speed and you also have trouble with flipping if the blade is horizontal.
If you watch earlier in the thread I mention that I was doing it like you do :) . I switched over to Arai's method after a few days actually :oops: .
Twiddling enables you to fill your opponent's head with more options, but it also fills yours with the same amount. It demands really good shot selection and a good ability to read situations and spin.
The possible strategy I have in mind with my twiddle setup is to use short pips and RPB close to the table and twiddle to inverted when away from the table.
I tried playing around with the short pips a few times and they are really fun, but difficult nonetheless. I like to think of pips as lower friction inverted. Short pips are more hitting than brushing, the angle is more open and you have less angles to worry about.
BUT you have to be really precise with those few angles, as the difference between a kill and a homerun or netball is that much smaller.
Anyway, any style change in itself takes work. For now I am focusing on footwork and 3rd ball attack and improving my TPB .

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2020, 11:42 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I can't even twiddle properly using my flared blade :D

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2020, 15:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

nighitimare wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJgiSdKHZbM

One problem I can see with this guy's technique is that he's got to toss the bat upwards to twiddle. Not something a shakehander has to do. And I've seen people twiddle with a Japanese penhold bat in a middle of a point without having to toss the bat up like that. It's flashy, but I'd like to see him do it under pressure.

Successful twiddling, in my opinion, has to be able to be done in the middle of a point, and also has to be able to be carried out without looking, under the table so your opponent can't see what you're going to use for your serve, or more to the point, your serve return (see how Bhatra does it).

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!