OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2020, 23:34 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
big d wrote:
Went 4 - 4 in Friday league at Lilly yip.

Beat both of the players that were higher than me Amir Khan and Ricardo but kinda lost fuel after that. Lost few matches 2 3.

Was able to get some footage and this time it’s all edited!!

Here is the playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... qJx2N6XezU

Your footwork is a bit slow. You are getting away with it against these guys because they are not upping the pace but your stance often becomes an extreme backhand stance close to the table after you play a shot (both forehand and backhand) and this is going to compromise your forehand recovery and options if people take away your time - I think the first focus should be getting in and out faster. Maybe a later focus should be not shifting your legs so much to play every shot, especially the backhands. IT is okay/correct to step in with the right foot, but you leave it in front for so long that your forehand is compromised but the opponents are too slow to capitalize.

That said, if I could beat these guys playing the way you did, I would probably go up a couple of levels - I would be whacking every ball if I played them and I am not sure that is a good thing.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2020, 23:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

big d wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
Do both... :lol: The rest of us want to read all about it.

Iskandar

Hey Isklandar, what's happening in KL? Lockdown or freedom? I haven't been to KL for 18 months, which is a 30 year record for me.

I hear you about the matches, but I leave it up to big d? If so requested, I'll tell the world how to go about beating those pesky NJ 1700-2000 league dudes. But I'm like a genie and he only gets one wish. Once granted, the opportunity is gone forever.
Options include:
A: Tactics to play against 5 NJ league dudes!
B: Improve!

Drum roll, please.....

If you claim to be a Genie I fully expect you to pop out randomly completely out of the blue, sing Aladdin songs. And instead of making me a regular Prince i would prefer to be a table Tennis Prince. :lol:

I can turn you into a prince for sure, but there is a downside. You're going to have relinquish the tactics advice for destroying 5 NJ league players. What will it be, kid? There's no cheating on this one!

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2020, 23:46 

Hey Isklandar, what's happening in KL? Lockdown or freedom? I haven't been to KL for 18 months, which is a 30 year record for me.

I hear you about the matches, but I leave it up to big d? If so requested, I'll tell the world how to go about beating those pesky NJ 1700-2000 league dudes. But I'm like a genie and he only gets one wish. Once granted, the opportunity is gone forever.
Options include:

Drum roll, please.....[/quote]

If you claim to be a Genie I fully expect you to pop out randomly completely out of the blue, sing Aladdin songs. And instead of making me a regular Prince i would prefer to be a table Tennis Prince. :lol:[/quote]

I can turn you into a prince for sure, but there is a downside. You're going to have relinquish the tactics advice for destroying 5 NJ league players. What will it be, kid? There's no cheating on this one![/quote]

I give up willingly.

Side note: Not too bothered about tactics. Even though I lost to Narendar the 2 games I did win against was probably the best i player the entire night. Just slow looped and as NL says “rinsed and repeated”

If I can replicate that over and over all these folks are in Big trouble

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2020, 23:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

big d wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
big d wrote:
Went 4 - 4 in Friday league at Lilly yip.

Beat both of the players that were higher than me Amir Khan and Ricardo but kinda lost fuel after that. Lost few matches 2 3.

Was able to get some footage and this time it’s all edited!!

Here is the playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... qJx2N6XezU

Dan, this is a serious question. Are you hoping I tell you how to beat all of those opponents individually, or do you want me to give you advice on how to improve your overall game?

Overall please

I can hear the crowd booing from here in my Northern India compound, so I think it will have to be everything. Let's do this properly for once in my pitiful life.

I've turned over a new leaf and I'm now a proper 3 wish genie, like our idol Aladdin. 5 match tactics, some overall strategy and technique coming right up....tomorrow...or the next day.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2020, 23:51 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

https://youtu.be/Dgp1eNFJdTQ?t=853

How to make this short push drill better?

I think I am going to can forehand and backhand transitions and do more serve and receive drills going forward. Transition is putting me to sleep.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2020, 23:56 

NextLevel wrote:

I think I am going to can forehand and backhand transitions and do more serve and receive drills going forward. Transition is putting me to sleep.

You might need to fold on short push and take the ball right of the bounce. If you fold it should allow you to apply spin and be a little aggressive yet keep it short at the same time.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 00:06 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

big d wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

You might need to fold on short push and take the ball right of the bounce. If you fold it should allow you to apply spin and be a little aggressive yet keep it short at the same time.

Thanks. In my head I am folding but it doesn't show up on video lol.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 00:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

Options include:

Drum roll, please.....

Tactics! Tactics! Tactics!

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 00:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

There are 3 schools of short pushing:
1. Take the ball early off the bounce
2. Take the ball at the top of the bounce
3. Take the ball later

Ma Lin prefers 1. Kamal perfers 2. Some Germans and Swedes prefer 3.

I feel that you are doing 3. I slowed it down and many balls are dropping first. This isn't the reason why I think it's 3 though. It's just my eyes telling me that's late and I used this to confirm myself.

I'm a 1200 level coach at method 3. Can anyone help me out here?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 00:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

Options include:

Drum roll, please.....

Tactics! Tactics! Tactics!

Relax, Genie has this covered. I'm about to make all your wishes come true.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 00:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

There are 3 schools of short pushing:
1. Take the ball early off the bounce
2. Take the ball at the top of the bounce
3. Take the ball later

Ma Lin prefers 1. Kamal perfers 2. Some Germans and Swedes prefer 3.

I feel that you are doing 3. I slowed it down and many balls are dropping first. This isn't the reason why I think it's 3 though. It's just my eyes telling me that's late and I used this to confirm myself.

I'm a 1200 level coach at method 3. Can anyone help me out here?

I have no idea how to improve short push, but I'd approach this drill from the tactical point of view: I'd attack any ball that goes long or too high.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 01:10 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
NextLevel wrote:

Depends what you want to achieve... what's the purpose of the drill? It seems to me that you want it to be rewarding - ie you should be testing whether or not your short push is effective or not.

What are you trying to achieve with a short push, in a match situation? Prevent an attack? Induce a longer push back that you can open up against? I don't see in this drill that you're getting any feedback on whether your pushes are of good quality or effective. It looks more like a touch-to-touch warm up, but to get a feel of the ball.

As an example, could you have the partner try to flick your push - if they can, easily, and you can't recover and respond, you have some more meaningful data.

One thing I do is gamify it... with, eg, service return, which is just a variation. For example - opponent serves, I touch the return short - it should in theory bounce twice. If I return the serve, I get a point. If I hit it in the net / off the table, the opponent gets a point. But, at any point, the opponent can elect either to play the third ball, or not play the ball - if they don't play the point, and the ball doesn't bounce twice, they get two points. I do something similar with half-long serves - the receiver can elect not to play the shot, and if the serve is long they get two points. Perhaps you could come up with a variation on this sort of theme.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 01:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
One thing I do is gamify it... with, eg, service return, which is just a variation. For example - opponent serves, I touch the return short - it should in theory bounce twice. If I return the serve, I get a point. If I hit it in the net / off the table, the opponent gets a point. But, at any point, the opponent can elect either to play the third ball, or not play the ball - if they don't play the point, and the ball doesn't bounce twice, they get two points. I do something similar with half-long serves - the receiver can elect not to play the shot, and if the serve is long they get two points. Perhaps you could come up with a variation on this sort of theme.

This isn't exactly what I do, however, it's dangerously close to describing my entire junior training repertoire.

I gamify serve and return.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 02:40 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

LordCope wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Depends what you want to achieve... what's the purpose of the drill? It seems to me that you want it to be rewarding - ie you should be testing whether or not your short push is effective or not.

What are you trying to achieve with a short push, in a match situation? Prevent an attack? Induce a longer push back that you can open up against? I don't see in this drill that you're getting any feedback on whether your pushes are of good quality or effective. It looks more like a touch-to-touch warm up, but to get a feel of the ball.

As an example, could you have the partner try to flick your push - if they can, easily, and you can't recover and respond, you have some more meaningful data.

Thanks. Yes it was a touch to touch warmup. I usually just try to do things and record them so I have something to start with and improve. I do have problems moving in and out that I have to address. But it is good feedback to hear that I am potentially too high and likely taking the ball too late. Though if I could learn a short push or a long push when taking the ball late, that would be ideal.

I might consider making it a game - since my training partner and I talk a lot of trash during practice, it might escalate the level of trash talking...

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 05:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

I've done this drill also and I question it's value after a few minutes. What I eventually do is loop anything that comes long, so it's like a punishment for pushing long. Then it turns into short pushing practice with the chance to attack/play out point. I find it extremely difficult to stay low and am constantly focusing on keeping my left leg bent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489 ... 568  Next