OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 08:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 05:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

Dan has some amazing skills and good anticipation. What's the number one thing he should improve? I feel like he should just warm up with more backspin forehand prior to matches as it seemed that shot improved while watching.

I haven't watched the new matches yet but when I saw the first batch where dan kept missing the ball I thought the #1 thing he should improve is to clean his glasses. I lose matches like that and afterwards when I hold my glasses up to the light it's like looking at a biology sample.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 06:09 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
wilkinru wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
https://youtu.be/Dgp1eNFJdTQ?t=853

How to make this short push drill better?

I think I am going to can forehand and backhand transitions and do more serve and receive drills going forward. Transition is putting me to sleep.

I've done this drill also and I question it's value after a few minutes. What I eventually do is loop anything that comes long, so it's like a punishment for pushing long. Then it turns into short pushing practice with the chance to attack/play out point. I find it extremely difficult to stay low and am constantly focusing on keeping my left leg bent.

The thing is that many good players can do it for a pretty long time. It might not be useful but if someone knows why good players can do it so well for so long just for fun, it would be great. It is almost like their touch allows them to chop even long balls short.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Last edited by NextLevel on 28 Jul 2020, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 06:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Your quote is all messed up.

I don't disagree with you, the drill has value for sure. However it's really difficult to get others to think it has value. I'm sure you and I could make a goal for a week straight we do that drill for an hour a day and really get it down, watching video every few minutes. Who else is up for that? Uhhhh...

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 06:29 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
Your quote is all messed up.

I don't disagree with you, the drill has value for sure. However it's really difficult to get others to think it has value. I'm sure you and I could make a goal for a week straight we do that drill for an hour a day and really get it down, watching video every few minutes. Who else is up for that? Uhhhh...

I think the good players doing it sometimes is good enough for me, and of course, the occasional flick can be mixed in. Since you are way too far, I guess I have to find a willing (or more likely unwilling) person in my club to work with.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 06:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I'm going over the DTT series and perhaps doing DTT8 and DTT10 would be easier to get buyin for and perhaps more realistic. I did DTT8 today and it was pretty fun.

Is DTT11 even a thing? Is the cross footwork looping backspin a shot? Shouldn't we just be moving to the ball and doing our stroke here? The only footwork in TT is getting into position after serving, I thought.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 08:21 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
I'm going over the DTT series and perhaps doing DTT8 and DTT10 would be easier to get buyin for and perhaps more realistic. I did DTT8 today and it was pretty fun.

Is DTT11 even a thing? Is the cross footwork looping backspin a shot? Shouldn't we just be moving to the ball and doing our stroke here? The only footwork in TT is getting into position after serving, I thought.

I am probably the only player at the club who could feed either drill at a level that wouldn't have me pulling my invisible hair out during the drill. It hurts at a certain point to be the best player in your club and still suck compared to where you would like to be.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 08:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
https://youtu.be/Dgp1eNFJdTQ?t=853

How to make this short push drill better?

I think I am going to can forehand and backhand transitions and do more serve and receive drills going forward. Transition is putting me to sleep.

There are 3 schools of short pushing:
1. Take the ball early off the bounce
2. Take the ball at the top of the bounce
3. Take the ball later

Ma Lin prefers 1. Kamal perfers 2. Some Germans and Swedes prefer 3.

I feel that you are doing 3. I slowed it down and many balls are dropping first. This isn't the reason why I think it's 3 though. It's just my eyes telling me that's late and I used this to confirm myself.

I'm a 1200 level coach at method 3. Can anyone help me out here?

Get a rubber that is so dead it doesn't matter that you are late, the ball doesn't go far enough to pop up or be long. I know of such a magic rubber but NL already knows what it is.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 09:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
During rallies, things become very difficult to control and this opens the door for horrible "coaching" mistakes, because you need only one idea. Let's say the idea here is, always attack to the middle and forehand. Do this as much as you can.

The above ends the discussion because we have accounted for the 3.6 hits. If a rally goes any longer, it will come down to variance and even luck. Hopefully my player can hit the middle forehand with most attacks.

The biggest mistakes that coaches make is not understanding what is controllable and how long a rally really goes for. For example, The serve is the most controllable, followed by the return and then a little direction for attacking during a point.

This is incredibly useful stuff for me to bench coach myself. I'm a complete idiot player, so one idea is definitely the max. I'm about a 1200 coach too. You should do tactics more often!

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 10:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

big d wrote:

Was able to get some footage and this time it’s all edited!!

Here is the playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... qJx2N6XezU

I tried to watch these matches but your opponents' styles burnt my eyes and I had to stop.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 10:33 

BRS wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

Dan has some amazing skills and good anticipation. What's the number one thing he should improve? I feel like he should just warm up with more backspin forehand prior to matches as it seemed that shot improved while watching.

I haven't watched the new matches yet but when I saw the first batch where dan kept missing the ball I thought the #1 thing he should improve is to clean his glasses. I lose matches like that and afterwards when I hold my glasses up to the light it's like looking at a biology sample.

Yep that could’ve been an issue

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 12:34 

Hey guys. I haven't been feeling too well or playing much the last 2 weeks so I haven't been as active. But I've been following all the discussion. I especially like the ones on tactics.

This is for NL or anyone interested in doing short pushes. I know this video isn't exactly what you're doing since they're not rallying, but there might be some value in watching it. I saw it about two days ago and thought it was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1wB4cTNKaQ

Jin Ueda demonstrates his short push and then uses a racket with only a quarter of a rubber stuck on, one at the top corner and one at the bottom corner to do 2 different short pushes against both side spins.

This one is also interesting because you can see the push really clearly. The video is also a little clearer (probably because it's by Butterfly). He also shows 2 different short pushes. A spinny short push and a no-spin short push.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJwZVSzjLLE

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 16:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Brett Clarke wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
Do both... :lol: The rest of us want to read all about it.

Iskandar

Hey Isklandar, what's happening in KL? Lockdown or freedom? I haven't been to KL for 18 months, which is a 30 year record for me.

I hear you about the matches, but I leave it up to big d? If so requested, I'll tell the world how to go about beating those pesky NJ 1700-2000 league dudes. But I'm like a genie and he only gets one wish. Once granted, the opportunity is gone forever.
Options include:
A: Tactics to play against 5 NJ league dudes!
B: Improve!

Drum roll, please.....

The lockdown's been eased, people are out and about but masks are mandated. Restaurants and shops are open, you have to register and get your temperature taken before entering. No international travel as yet, though, so my long-planned Japanese vacation's still off. Table tennis wise, I'm out of the loop as far as clubs are concerned, we've been doing social doubles at a friend's house 2-3 times a week for the last couple months.

Anyhow, time to read all the posts I missed in the last day or so..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 17:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
mickd wrote:
But I've been following all the discussion. I especially like the ones on tactics.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 17:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

EJ Alert!!!

What rubber should a wheel chair table tennis player use? My answer is boosted Tenergy. This reason is, you can't generate so much of your own power from a chair and you'll need maximum assistance from your rubber. Also, you shouldn't be dramatically impacted by your opponent's serves and you don't need to worry too much about serving short.

What about if you have extremely strong legs and well-training leg and hip twisting? You should probably use Hurricane or something similar. The reason is, you'll be able to generate enough power to get the ball through your opponents and then you'll gain the important benefits in serve and return. Harder and stickier rubber has more control in these areas. This is why Chinese use these rubbers on their forehands.

So what about the 1800 guy with average power, but struggles to return serve? What should this guy use?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 17:49 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
mickd wrote:
Jin Ueda demonstrates his short push and then uses a racket with only a quarter of a rubber stuck on, one at the top corner and one at the bottom corner to do 2 different short pushes against both side spins.

This is a really good idea, and also gives me a use for my shrunken M1 Turbo! I've attached a quarter to each side of a spare blade, as in the video. I'll have a go at doing the same thing today, and share my results!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!