OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 13:53

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 17:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
What should this guy use?

LPs with no sponge?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 17:54 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Quote:
So what about the 1800 guy with average power, but struggles to return serve? What should this guy use?

I refer the honourable gentleman to an statement made by the honourable gentleman yesterday: cheap and slow. I think the basic Friendship 729 Super FX does everything you need at this level. With reasonable and improving technique you gen generate plenty of spin. It's easier to contol serve and return than the fast tensors and butterfly rubbers. It's linear. The quality is pretty much always the same. And it's cheap.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 18:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
I'm going over the DTT series and perhaps doing DTT8 and DTT10 would be easier to get buyin for and perhaps more realistic. I did DTT8 today and it was pretty fun.

Is DTT11 even a thing? Is the cross footwork looping backspin a shot? Shouldn't we just be moving to the ball and doing our stroke here? The only footwork in TT is getting into position after serving, I thought.

I'm a big fan of all of those returning exercise. I still use stuff like that.

In relation to DTT11, I don't think I've properly explained it. You are 100% correct that there is no such thing as footwork in TT, so thanks for the clarification and bringing this to my attention.

You should just be jumping into the backswing and then playing the ball. The problem is, I've failed to properly explain how this works on wider balls to the forehand. It's on my list of things to do.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 21:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
EJ Alert!!!

So what about the 1800 guy with average power, but struggles to return serve? What should this guy use?

$7 pf 4 because you can play like garbage with anything?

I bought a sheet off aliexpress, btw, based on your rec. It better be good! lol

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 21:25 
LP Collector
LP Collector

A few sets against my friend. We also tried the quarter bat thing, but didn't record it.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 21:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
EJ Alert!!!

$7 pf 4 because you can play like garbage with anything?

I bought a sheet off aliexpress, btw, based on your rec. It better be good! lol

The irony of this is, I haven't tried it myself.

I really just wanted you to buy it after all the lottery ticket money you've made me lose in FL & NY. You made some big promises and I didn't win s***!

It feels pretty slow when I hit the ball up in air. I hope you've got some type of booster/baby oil ready. I think I'll use it when I get out, no matter how much I hate it.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 21:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
A few sets against my friend. We also tried the quarter bat thing, but didn't record it.

Set the video to "unlisted" so we can check it out.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 21:45 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Brett Clarke wrote:
LordCope wrote:

Doh! Fixed!

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 21:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
Quote:

I refer the honourable gentleman to an statement made by the honourable gentleman yesterday: cheap and slow. I think the basic Friendship 729 Super FX does everything you need at this level. With reasonable and improving technique you gen generate plenty of spin. It's easier to contol serve and return than the fast tensors and butterfly rubbers. It's linear. The quality is pretty much always the same. And it's cheap.

That makes it a $10 problem. You said "it's linear". Can you explain what that means?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 22:00 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Brett Clarke wrote:
You said "it's linear". Can you explain what that means?

I mean the response of the ball off the bat seems proportional to the effort or arm speed you put in. By contrast, at least in my perception, tensors and Tenergies don't feel like that. For example if I play a shot with one "unit" of energy, with tensor, I feel like I get more than one out... but the more energy I put in, the less the gap... so five units in might get five units out. This rubber feels much closer to 1:1 effort:result.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 22:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
You said "it's linear". Can you explain what that means?

I mean the response of the ball off the bat seems proportional to the effort or arm speed you put in. By contrast, at least in my perception, tensors and Tenergies don't feel like that. For example if I play a shot with one "unit" of energy, with tensor, I feel like I get more than one out... but the more energy I put in, the less the gap... so five units in might get five units out. This rubber feels much closer to 1:1 effort:result.

Got it.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 22:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
LordCope wrote:

Doh! Fixed!

Thanks, I watched the match twice.

First, please give us a bit of context. For example, your opponent seems fairly experienced. Does he normally beat you? Where do you feel you want to go from today? What are you looking to improve?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 22:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
LordCope wrote:

Thanks, I watched the match twice.

First, please give us a bit of context. For example, your opponent seems fairly experienced. Does he normally beat you? Where do you feel you want to go from today? What are you looking to improve?

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 22:21 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Brett Clarke wrote:

So my opponent is what in the UK we would call a "band 3 and 4" player - so around top 300 senior men. I've never beaten him in a match, although have got games off him (including today!)

I felt I did "ok" given the conditions (not a lot of room behind the table, and not a lot of room for me to step around my BH). Against this particular player, I find it hard to transition into attack - you'll see often I end up twiddling against him - in this case with a few good results, but also a few rushed or mistimed shots.

I think service return wasn't too bad, but service could be tightened up, with more variety.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2020, 23:02 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Quote:
Where do you feel you want to go from today? What are you looking to improve?

Looking back over the video again, posture and balance are my biggest concern - my shoulder are tight and high and my head disappears into my shoudlers, which leads to a cramped form, and a strange perspective of the table and the opponent. I'd like to improve that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 485, 486, 487, 488, 489, 490, 491 ... 568  Next