OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bomb talent?
PostPosted: 27 Nov 2019, 10:13 
Super User

No shortcomings with BT for me as I find I am able to cope well with all types of spin/no spin from opponents. Apologies I cannot explain how! This may well be because I have been a very loyal BT user for a long while and with a fun-casual approach to TT have built a game and strategy in using it to good and successful effect without realising any of its shortcomings. :lol: One thing is for sure - players below, on par and even stronger than my level/standard all struggle against me at my weekly social practice sessions :devil:

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2019, 21:23 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
TraditionalTradesman wrote:
charmander defender wrote:
TraditionalTradesman wrote:

Good question. I guess I'd say several things.

Normally, if get a no-spin ball, a bit of grazing with my pips helps gain control over it. So, on contact with my pips against no-spin, I'll usually graze a bit sideways or a bit up or a bit down. All of these generally work, depending on what effect you want to achieve. With Bomb Talent, however, I found many no-spin balls sailing (and, less often, going into the net). I'm not sure what the reason is (that the pips have smooth tips?), but I'd have to be far more careful than usual about timing and blade angle to deal with no-spin effectively.

As for blocks, I don't do passive blocks against no-spin balls (and with BT, those would DEFINITELY sail long), but against topspin, I'm finding that you also have to be more precise than with Troublemaker or Death Metal in blade placement, especially against fast loop-drives. A bit of wrist action/chop-blocking helps here, and that's fine, but it means more errors than I like. As for the trajectory of the ball, it's low but not as low as some others (again, Elite Long but especially Troublemaker and Death Metal have a lower trajectory in my view).

BT does create some welcome weirdness that generates errors on my opponents' part, but I think it requires lots of training to play effectively.

I agree ,you must practise a lot to master no spin balls with BT, hence, TT Buddy has no problems :) . I wonder if you are using a worn down BT or not . Maybe, is your BT new? or not worn down enough?

I am telling you this because I have a friend at the club that has been using BT for years and he still is and his BT has very little friction and his blocks and pushes are really dangerous .He is using it on a Joola Toni Hold .Also, it became slow so with the TH + BT he has lots of control .

Perhaps, BT is blade dependent too? but yes, I recall having issues with no spin balls back in the day,which were minimised with loads of training sessions .

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2019, 02:54 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Yeah, consistent with what you're saying, my impression is that Bomb Talent can be very effective if you master it (and, as you say, when it's worn down a bit more, as I was indeed using a newer sheet), but you have to play it actively.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2019, 10:40 
Super User

Well, seeing how well BT works with the new ball, I will give it a go on my Grubba as well.Perhaps, we can come to very interesting conclusions and share the experience here .

Traditional Tradesman, which blade did you use BT on? maybe the blade + a new BT have made the issues with the no spin balls even greater ?

I think we can benefit from BT's disruption if we train enough since the new ball makes other Lps ineffective , or less effective than usual .Another factor to take into account is the price, cheaper and more effective, what else???

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2019, 13:17 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Well, seeing how well BT works with the new ball, I will give it a go on my Grubba as well.Perhaps, we can come to very interesting conclusions and share the experience here .

Traditional Tradesman, which blade did you use BT on? maybe the blade + a new BT have made the issues with the no spin balls even greater ?

I think we can benefit from BT's disruption if we train enough since the new ball makes other Lps ineffective , or less effective than usual .Another factor to take into account is the price, cheaper and more effective, what else???

Used one of the ReImpact blades (think balsa combi blade with a low-throw backhand.

I'll be interested to hear about your experience when you have a chance to experiment with the BT.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2019, 18:55 
Super User

Perhaps, BT is blade dependent too? but yes, I recall having issues with no spin balls back in the day,which were minimised with loads of training sessions .

I've been playing with BT (ox) for around 6 months now, and I'm beginning to think the same...

The GKI blade I'm using seems to be a hard and stiffísh All blade... and I'm not sure, if it's a match .... The main issue I have, is that at times, the ball just seems to die on the blade .. then there are times, where I feel it gets overloaded against too my backspin... Doesn't put back much, when passive blocking.. Need a bit of wrist-work .. There is some disruption, but I'd say that it's pretty subtle (which, I feel, could be deemed as a plus point) .. On chops, it seems to produce, a bit of side-spin, along with backspin... Even with ox, I feel it chops decently, mid-distance from the table ..I've often wondered, how it'd play with a thin (0.5mm - 0.7mm , perhaps) sponge, on a blade like Defplay V3... I'm not a LP hitter, but of all the setups I play with, if feel that hitting with BT is more consistent..

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2019, 13:57 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
For me, BT is really good on the Grubba Carbon. Not as good on the Grubba ALL+. I'm switching it back to the Grubba Carbon.

My big problem with the Grubba Carbon is the forehand. I'm not getting good control or spin with the 1.0 rubbers I've tried. Need to go to a thicker sponge.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2019, 04:57 
Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
For me, BT is really good on the Grubba Carbon. Not as good on the Grubba ALL+. I'm switching it back to the Grubba Carbon.

My big problem with the Grubba Carbon is the forehand. I'm not getting good control or spin with the 1.0 rubbers I've tried. Need to go to a thicker sponge.

I wonder what issues you had with BT on the Grubba . I guess less reversal ..... no spin balls,.... the carbon on the Grubba should help a lot as far as reversal goes plus more speed to mess up with the opponents' timing . I guess it is stiffer than regular Grubba so the fh attack will be different on contact with the ball, yes, more speed, but the control won't be as good right ?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 03:44 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

I've been playing around with the Bomb Talent OX again because it's probably the most disturbing LP out there with the new ball (at least among those I've tried) and can do pretty much everything (I love the Saviga 77 Monster as well, but I'm kind of sick of having to put a new sheet on virtually every month or month-and-a-half due to pips falling out, and the Hellfire X is great if you're at the table, but I can't really chop with it), but with the Bomb Talent I keep running into the problem that others have noted in the past of sensitivity to strong underspin. If I could just get over this issue, this LP would be great. I'd be curious to know if and how any others have dealt with this.

Specifically, what I'm finding is that if someone gives me heavy underspin on a serve, I'm not sure what shot to use:

- An ordinary aggressive push with a fixed wrist and the blade relatively closed (like about 15-20 degrees open beyond 90 degrees to the table) will often result in the ball slipping off the pips and going into the net.

- A shovel push seems to work a bit better (i.e., slight upward forearm motion with a fixed wrist and relatively open blade), but even there the ball can sometimes slip off and go straight down.

- An attempt at a hit (stiff wrist, going into and through the ball with a very slightly open blade) is very blade-angle sensitive, and you have to catch the ball at just the right moment in order to succeed with this shot, which is difficult when the serve is low and spinny.

- A regular push where you bend the pips and graze the underside of the ball with wrist will usually get it over the net, but again, if you don't have just the right blade angle, you'll get a pop-up.

- A sideswipe also seems very sensitive to blade angle.

- A roll (bending the pips and grazing the ball to create slight topspin) seems difficult with the BT; the ball often sails long.

It's possible I'm just not doing a good job of playing one of these shots, but I'm curious to hear any thoughts of anyone who's dealt with this issue (either with the BT or with any other pips that are sensitive to underspin). Thanks.

P.S. I noticed that using a glue sheet instead of gluing the pips straight to the blade might help their sensitivity to underspin a bit, so I might experiment a bit more with that.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 04:12 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Could you explain to me how a rubber could be sensitive to only one sort of spin? It strikes me that given that rubbers are broadly symmetrical, it seems rather unlikely that it's more sensitive to backspin than topspin, or sidespin. It seems far more likely that you're just better at playing shots which are appropriate for sidespin or topspin.

Personally I find a heavy backspin serve one of the easiest shots to play against - I play a little "dead push" - wrist locked, blade almost vertical, blade moving slightly forwards and slightly upwards. The ball shoots back over the net, and skids away. I've played this with Dtecs, Dornenglanz, Hellfire, and now 755.

Again... I'd have thought the best way to work on this would be to find someone who can give you consistently heavy backspin serves, and experiment with which action works best for you. If you have access to a robot, they tend to give very heavy and "pure" backspin, so ideal for this experiment.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 04:48 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

LordCope wrote:
Could you explain to me how a rubber could be sensitive to only one sort of spin? It strikes me that given that rubbers are broadly symmetrical, it seems rather unlikely that it's more sensitive to backspin than topspin, or sidespin. It seems far more likely that you're just better at playing shots which are appropriate for sidespin or topspin.

That's an excellent question. Many people have observed that this particular rubber is sensitive to underspin. I don't think it's just me, nor do I generally have problems handling underspin with pips. In fact, pips are generally excellent for dealing with (and attacking) underspin, as I'm sure you know. This rubber is no exception once the rally gets going and underspin shots are generally longer and/or a bit less spinny. The problem is short, heavy underspin serves.

So why would it be more sensitive to underspin than to topspin? Maybe "sensitive" is the wrong word to use. I think the problem has to do with the flight trajectory of the ball when it comes off the rubber on topspin vs. underspin. If, for example, you do a passive block against topspin, the pips (which are relatively firm and don't have much friction on their tips, as opposed to their sides, which are high-friction) return a low, spin-reversed ball, but the ball generally makes it over the net due to the pace of the incoming ball rebounding off the pips, as well as the topspin reversing into slight underspin to create a slight upward trajectory. The problem against short, heavy underspin is that if you push back in the "dead push" manner you just described (almost my usual approach against underspin), what I assume happens is that the lack of pace on the incoming ball and the underspin reversing into topspin creates a slight DOWNWARD trajectory, and the balls dies into the net. On the other hand, if you try to graze the underspin ball, then the high-friction sides of the pips kick in but create the potential for a pop-up if you don't use the right blade angle. Possibly the solution is to be more aggressive with the dead-push, meaning, impart enough pace to it that it'll go over the net. Not sure and need to experiment more with this.

And, yes, some practice against a robot or someone feeding me lots of short underspin serves should definitely help. I was just reaching out to see if anyone has already solved this problem with this particular rubber, so that I can save myself some time in experimenting with strategies that don't work.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 06:07 

TT, your main blade is Tachi2019, which is a spongy balsa blade.Bomb Talent is a grippy pip. This rubber is too reactive on your blade. If you want to keep
Bomb Talent then you have to change the blade. Otherwise you have to use slippery long pips.
A good combination with Bomb Talent is Nittaku shakehand carbon defense Model year 2014. A German guy on YouTube site Gemblock TT reviews
Bomb Talent. He is a classy player with 1800 German Rating points. All his set ups as per his signature on German forum - Noppen Test Forum are NSD blades with OX long pimples on a backhand. Bomb Talent is listed on a second set up.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 06:30 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Thanks, Redspot, that's an interesting view. I have a Nittaku Shake Defense blade somewhere, but I like lighter blades. But maybe I should dig that blade out and try it out with the BT. (One thing about the Bomb Talent: it IS slippery, at least the tips. It's the sides of the pips that have high friction.)

I'm wondering, also, what the forum name is of the guy you're talking about on the Noppen Test forum. I know what he looks like from the video reviews those guys post here and at Noppen Test (usually the guy who posts those videos is Croudy, but his signature has double-inverted). I love the way the guy who tests the pips plays (and have watched many of his reviews, including the review of the BT), but I don't know his forum name.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 06:45 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I used Bomb Talent with a Hallmark Strategy blade in 2018 and had some good upsets with it. Usually just bumped back the serves. If I was putting it in the net, the lift shot was effective. Bomb Talent is one of the best long pips against the 40+ ball. The only reason I quit using it was all the overblown hype over NB Troublemaker. That led me to the Grubba blade, which I love. I dumped TM and have been happy with Dornenglanz. I haven't tried BT with the Grubba. Probably should.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2020, 06:54 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

mynamenotbob wrote:
Usually just bumped back the serves.

Thanks. What do you mean by "bumped back"?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 433 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 29  Next