OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:48

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 496, 497, 498, 499, 500, 501, 502 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2020, 11:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
wilkinru wrote:
https://youtu.be/MoLHkIwMsyo?list=PL1xHYZmEaJtTlgZqVzcgYY2tHt04Kwcqb&t=346

I'm desperately working on serve recovery myself. You were slow on this point. You are probably slow every time. I don't say this to be mean but it's something to work on that will help your results.

The other player here took the ball a little earlier than you are likely used to and forced a push from you. Not much point in practicing drills all day if you can't be ready to execute them after your own serve. One can almost chart serve recovery time and rating. It's pretty interesting, I've watched lots of matches from this point of view now and may actually make a video about it. I may call it 2020 RTTS01 - serve recovery.

FYI: My definition of being ready means being in a neutral position by the time the ball starts bouncing up on the other side of the table. This is the soonest time the receiver can touch the ball and the moment the server needs to start moving for the next shot.

I know BRS will enjoy this post.

It is not serve recovery actually, the issue is serve technique and rehearsed expectations. Changing my serve to a method that actually moves my legs after doing it crappily for years to protect my knees is going to be a huge mental adjustment.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2020, 13:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
I like your post wilkinru!

Even more exciting, both my aliexpress boondoggles cleared customs in the US of A! One is in ATL and the other is in New Jersey or smth.

Lucky you!

For me, giving money to Aliexpress is like giving it to an international airline in 2020...that's the last you every hear of it.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2020, 13:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:

Even more exciting, both my aliexpress boondoggles cleared customs in the US of A! One is in ATL and the other is in New Jersey or smth.

Lucky you!

For me, giving money to Aliexpress is like giving it to an international airline in 2020...that's the last you every hear of it.

My H3 neo(my new love) made it in a month....the balls I ordered are uh being returned? It's the wild wild east.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2020, 21:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:

Lucky you!

My H3 neo(my new love) made it in a month....the balls I ordered are uh being returned? It's the wild wild east.

You should order balls from Mr. Wong in HongKong d/b/a ttnpp.com. shiny (well dusty, but shiny after i washed them) new dhs 3* 70 days to my door.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 04:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Where, oh where, has Brett Clarke gone? Is he sheltering in place while watching every point of CNT Mock Olympics in super slo-mo?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 04:32 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

BRS wrote:
Where, oh where, has Brett Clarke gone? Is he sheltering in place while watching every point of CNT Mock Olympics in super slo-mo?

You have to quarantine a bit when you get into Australia since it is largely covid19 free.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 04:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
BRS wrote:

You have to quarantine a bit when you get into Australia since it is largely covid19 free.

Exactly! People who are in quaratine should be on the forums 24*7. 25*8 even!

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 05:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
BRS wrote:

We're about to hit 500 pages and our glorious leader is nowhere to be found.

Welp here's my Aug backhand update. Here is the description:
I thought this would be quite different looking from July's backhand but it's remarkably similar. Changes I could barely see: Not as below the table and more open on contact. These small changes have reduced errors considerably. For some reason I feel like this backhand handles lower balls much better also. Maybe it's just in my brain.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 06:22 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

No matter how hard you try to change your stroke in real time, it always looks the same to you. That should be the first law of technical improvement in TT.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 06:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
No matter how hard you try to change your stroke in real time, it always looks the same to you. That should be the first law of technical improvement in TT.

In my mind it's entirely different. I guess that's what matters in a way. It feels good in a match, even when moving it feels OK. I was struggling with lower balls (dead or top) and in my mind I'm lower the tip of the paddle and that's getting a bit more spin.

The old guys at the club cant really block it anymore.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 06:46 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

In my mind it's entirely different. I guess that's what matters in a way. It feels good in a match, even when moving it feels OK. I was struggling with lower balls (dead or top) and in my mind I'm lower the tip of the paddle and that's getting a bit more spin.

The old guys at the club cant really block it anymore.

You know what's funny? I know exactly what you mean and how you feel.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 07:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I cant unsee this backhand. Somehow I thought I was doing this. Hah.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 09:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
BRS wrote:

It's my new thing. I write for 7 days straight and then just vanish.

I am in heavy quarantine in Adelaide, South Australia, with a security guard outside the door and daily "visits" from the police. They let me out on Tuesday into the covid-free promised land. Adelaide is now my new home town apparently as it has zero new daily cases. I was first locked up in India on March 17th, so let's just call it a jail sentence.

Yes Elbowed and Maurice, you can come to Adelaide for coaching any time. Lucky you aren't from Victoria!

I have kept up my self experiment using the Table Tennis Edge app and shadow swing to the TTE app daily. I'm also still doing the theraband shoulder strengthening training along with squats and pushups. I finally get to miss the ball completely on Tuesday or Wednesday next week, at the Brighton TT Club, if anyone wants to laugh at me.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 09:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

We're about to hit 500 pages and our glorious leader is nowhere to be found.

Welp here's my Aug backhand update. Here is the description:
I thought this would be quite different looking from July's backhand but it's remarkably similar. Changes I could barely see: Not as below the table and more open on contact. These small changes have reduced errors considerably. For some reason I feel like this backhand handles lower balls much better also. Maybe it's just in my brain.

I like this backhand

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 10:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
I cant unsee this backhand. Somehow I thought I was doing this. Hah.

He is practically standing on the table in this video, so the swing is relatively small and compact.

Harmeet is probably the most all-round player I've ever benched coached. He has good serves, return, backhand and forehand. Probably his only downside is, if he comes under very heavy attack, but even then his short game is good enough to stop that from happening 9/10 times.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 496, 497, 498, 499, 500, 501, 502 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!