OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2020, 06:16 

So I played in my middle school 3-4 days a week, 30+ weeks until the coronavirus, and spin regularly, mostly backhand and forehand topspin. I used a Butterfly RDJ S2 at school (64,66.5,81 ratings). After the coronavirus, i played with my family, and they are not that good, and played with wood paddles that came with the table. So I thought it would be good idea to get a better paddle and give the Butterfly to my family. So I got a Sportout 77-008. The paddle came with a tag that said 90,90,90 rating. It is about 30g heavier and maybe 2mm taller and wider. However, it doesn't really feel any better, spin and speed seem the same. And it is heavier, which makes it a bit harder to play since I am a kid (I have pretty big hands but still). Also, I still miss a lot with forehand topspin on the new paddle even after a week, with the butterfly I hit fine. Should I maybe get a cheaper/different paddle? I don't know much about TT oof any help appreciated.

Links:
https://www.amazon.com/Butterfly-RDJ-Ta ... B079RTVNVL
https://www.amazon.com/Sportout-Approve ... B07JBY182R

Last edited by dolphin2025 on 15 Aug 2020, 04:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 04:22 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

dolphin2025 wrote:
[...] used a Butterfly RDJ S2 at school (64,66.5,81 ratings) [...] good idea to get a better paddle [...] got a Sportout 77-008. The paddle came with a tag that said 90,90,90 rating. [...]

90-90-80 on the Amazon ad, but that is beside the point. Those ratings are arbitrary, there does not exist aggreed-upon "100" values for measuring speed, spin or control. Any maker can put the numbers they like on their equipment and no competitor will ever bother to contest their claims.
dolphin2025 wrote:
It is about 30g heavier and maybe 2mm taller and wider. However, it doesn't really feel any better, spin and speed seem the same. And it is heavier, which makes it a bit harder to play since I am a kid (I have pretty big hands but still). Also, I still miss a lot with forehand topspin on the new paddle even after a week, with the butterfly I hit fine. Should I maybe get a cheaper/different paddle? I don't know much about TT oof any help appreciated.

Look for Iskandar Taib's suggestions. That will be good equipment at a good price. Just search for user.

The Butterfly paddle you have is probably OK.

That Sportout thing looks like a monster reading the specs (carbon fiber between every layer of wood). They probably use the "carbon factor" to hype up the product. Two layers of carbon will change playing characteristics significantly (improving some properties and degrading others). The other six are most likely only adding weight.

"[...] sticky glue with nanocarbon makes sure the rubber won’t separate from the blade" is a telltale sign of a beginner/toy bat. Competition blades are typically meant to outlast rubbers many times. TT glue is made to break the joint before the rubber gives.
dolphin2025 wrote:
Also, no offense but this website is pretty clunky and not good looking, I would suggest the devs consider [...]
[/quote]
The devs don't live here. See the link at the bottom of the page, saying "Powered by phpBB"? That is where your design advice should go.

Little is spent on cosmetics in this place, which makes the site run without spending huge resources. Content is good. That is what matters in the end. Perhaps not to you, but to the people who run the place, and most of the users/members, it seems.

No offense intended, but your posting two threads with essentially the same content is suspicious. Are you really asking a question, or just making an excuse to post links to somewhere for SEO purposes?

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 05:06 

keme wrote:
dolphin2025 wrote:
[...] used a Butterfly RDJ S2 at school (64,66.5,81 ratings) [...] good idea to get a better paddle [...] got a Sportout 77-008. The paddle came with a tag that said 90,90,90 rating. [...]

90-90-80 on the Amazon ad, but that is beside the point. Those ratings are arbitrary, there does not exist aggreed-upon "100" values for measuring speed, spin or control. Any maker can put the numbers they like on their equipment and no competitor will ever bother to contest their claims.
dolphin2025 wrote:
It is about 30g heavier and maybe 2mm taller and wider. However, it doesn't really feel any better, spin and speed seem the same. And it is heavier, which makes it a bit harder to play since I am a kid (I have pretty big hands but still). Also, I still miss a lot with forehand topspin on the new paddle even after a week, with the butterfly I hit fine. Should I maybe get a cheaper/different paddle? I don't know much about TT oof any help appreciated.

Look for Iskandar Taib's suggestions. That will be good equipment at a good price. Just search for user.

The Butterfly paddle you have is probably OK.

That Sportout thing looks like a monster reading the specs (carbon fiber between every layer of wood). They probably use the "carbon factor" to hype up the product. Two layers of carbon will change playing characteristics significantly (improving some properties and degrading others). The other six are most likely only adding weight.

"[...] sticky glue with nanocarbon makes sure the rubber won’t separate from the blade" is a telltale sign of a beginner/toy bat. Competition blades are typically meant to outlast rubbers many times. TT glue is made to break the joint before the rubber gives.
dolphin2025 wrote:
Also, no offense but this website is pretty clunky and not good looking, I would suggest the devs consider [...]

The devs don't live here. See the link at the bottom of the page, saying "Powered by phpBB"? That is where your design advice should go.

Little is spent on cosmetics in this place, which makes the site run without spending huge resources. Content is good. That is what matters in the end. Perhaps not to you, but to the people who run the place, and most of the users/members, it seems.

No offense intended, but your posting two threads with essentially the same content is suspicious. Are you really asking a question, or just making an excuse to post links to somewhere for SEO purposes?

quote 1: Thanks! I understand now! :D

quote 2: Oh lol that's what I thought, so I should probably return it and get a similar price but more legit paddle right? Or maybe I can ask if my family likes it and if so give it to them.

quote 3: Oh sorry I'm new I didn't mean it like that :( I edited that part out of both posts. Except the other post was different, I just copied like 30% of it from this post so I wouldn't have to type as much ...

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2020, 19:05 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

It is fine to link when the link is relevant, which yours were. No need to edit them out. It is just that when largely the same content (including links) is posted in multiple instances, you draw some suspicion. There are so many spammers out there that some of us have become quite loose on the trigger...

Don't worry, though. This is a friendly place, so I don't think you are going to be blocked or anything without a fair chance to rectify a bad impression.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2020, 14:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Welcome to the forum dolphin2025 :rock:

Regarding development of this site, yes keme is spot on. This site is basic PHPbb forum installation, with some customization.

I would agree with you, that it needs a major facelift at some stage. Although the current site is very secure and runs very efficiently (uses much less server resources than most forums), it will need to be updated at some point.

The trouble is, I have no developers to do this, and hiring developers would be costly. As you may have noticed, there is zero advertising for members that are logged in, so there is almost no income and significant costs to host the site, so money to develop the site would need to come out of my own pocket. :(

I certainly take no offence with your comments (which you have removed, there was no need), so no worries there. :)

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!