OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2020, 16:28 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
I want to get your opinion/experience/strategy when you play against club mates in tournaments. There are times you cannot avoid them during tournaments.

Since it is normal to play and be familiar with your club mates during practice games, how do you deal with them during tournaments? How do you ensure a win if you are the top dog? How about if you are the under dog?

Do you let them win during practice games and blast them without mercy during tournament?

:Chop: :topspin:

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 02:58 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
The advantage : you know how they play , disadvantage: they know how u play.

Be a more complete player day by day, dun think of overcoming a player based on their style alone. SO that no matter who comes you will have a chance against them

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 04:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Tough question.

I've lost TT buddies to this sort of situation. My general rule is...don't play matches close to a upcoming tourney with people who you will likely face. If that's unavoidable, perhaps just play 1 serve and drill something in the game.

Multiball, drills, play points with rules like short serve only.

In the end your mates at the club will know your game to some degree but probably best not to remind them about how you don't like the long push to your backhand after that one serve just before an event.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 12:33 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

The reason I asked this is because its working against my advantage.

It is taking me more effort to beat them, although I still come out winning.

What I try to do is play against their strength during practice. My serve is simple and no variation. However, they can anticipate my attack during tournament thus, I have to work harder...

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2020, 06:55 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Red_lion wrote:
The reason I asked this is because its working against my advantage.

It is taking me more effort to beat them, although I still come out winning.

What I try to do is play against their strength during practice. My serve is simple and no variation. However, they can anticipate my attack during tournament thus, I have to work harder...

see like in this case, you know one of your weakness in this game, like serve variation. Maybe take a 30 mins to train serve every day ( i do this last time when trying to master the pendulum serve) add some sidespin, short , long , no spin serve. if u practice your serve, it will show in game later on ( hide it in your club not useing the serve, only use it during tournament would help)

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2020, 13:09 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Thanks for the advice kim.. I will try to work it out :?:

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2020, 23:28 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
It's a bit different for attacking players but as a chopper I work hard to have a couple of different styles at my disposal. All out chopping, modern defense, all out forehand offense with little to no backhand, etc. It's actually more beneficial to play someone you know very well because you don't have to spend your game 1 on discovery.

I would also not start with my usual game if I were to play my good friend. I would change things just a bit from the get go, i.e., serve down the line vs cross-court, start with no spin vs a more traditional pendulum. These little things will cause a lot of discomfort for your opponent even if he/she knows you very well.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2021, 02:07 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
I would think you know their weaknesses by now? Just be a jerk and play into those!

It really comes down to who executes better on the day if you're close to evenly matched.

Unless you've been practicing some secret serve etc. Just to catch them off guard

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2021, 19:45 
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.
A.D.D.I.C.T.T.

Blade: Victas Koji Matsushita ZC
FH: BTY Dignics 64 (2.1mm)
BH: Victas P1V (1.5mm)
Yeah personally I never/very rarely use my reverse pendulum or Par Gerell servces during practice. If I then have to play against people I practice with, I can practically guarantee a couple of points per end from those serves.

I don't do this intentionally in case I have to play against them, I do it because I don't like practising where I win points off serve alone, so I'll often use a more basic serve. Sometimes I exclusively use the same serve (same spin, same motion, same length, just different directions) for a full 5 set match, so that I can concentrate more on the rest of my game.

[Other gear I've used]
Blades: Butterfly Defence 3, Butterfly Defence Pro, Butterfly Innerforce ZLC, Butterfly Innershield, DHS Power G7, Stiga Offensive Classic Carbon
SPs: Friendship 802 (1.5), TSP Spectol (1.3, 1.8, 2.1), TSP Spectol Speed (1.3), TSP Super Spinpips Chop Sponge 2 (0.5, 1.3)
LPs: Butterfly Feint Long II (1), Butterfly Feint Long III (0.5, 1.3), Tibhar Grass D.TecS (OX), TSP Curl P1-R (0.5, 1, 1.3), TSP Curl P4 (1.3)

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2022, 22:42 

I want to recommend a good website where you can find the tournament you are interested in https://tennis-tournaments.com/