OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2020, 20:37 

Hey guys,
So I understand what is hard and soft feeling.
But what is a crisp feeling in a blade?
Thanks

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020, 10:48 
Roar Talent
Roar Talent

Blade: Tiago Apolonia ZLC
FH: Rhyzer 50
BH: Donic Acuda Blue P3
Are you referring to vibration jack?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020, 18:18 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Probably the same as "hard". And I'd say a blade feels "hard" if it's stiff and it vibrates at a high frequency, while a "soft" blade vibrates at a lower frequency.

As with pretty much everything when it comes to describe the properties of table tennis bats, the term is poorly defined and there can be more than one definition. And you'll find terms coming in and going out of favor. Few people talk about "dwell time" anymore these days. "Catapult" seems to be in at the moment.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2020, 19:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Personally I only use 'crisp' to describe a blade with rubbers, not a blade by itself. It's a nice feeling you get when you loop/drive the ball hard. Timo Boll ALC with T05 has a really nice crisp feeling, one of the best I've felt. That does not mean it's suits you or me though. :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 11:22 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Personally I only use 'crisp' to describe a blade with rubbers, not a blade by itself. It's a nice feeling you get when you loop/drive the ball hard. Timo Boll ALC with T05 has a really nice crisp feeling, one of the best I've felt. That does not mean it's suits you or me though. :lol:

Thus Iskandar's mentioning of "poorly defined", I find the Boll ALC not nearly crisp enough :lol:. In fact, I would go as far as to say it is rather dull and numb.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 14:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I'd agree that, to me, it mainly applies to how certain blades or blades+rubber feel for certain shots. For me the N-11 blade had a really crisp flat topspin drive.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 17:36 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
I'd agree that, to me, it mainly applies to how certain blades or blades+rubber feel for certain shots. For me the N-11 blade had a really crisp flat topspin drive.

Iskandar

Key word is "for certain shots".

I also have a few N-11's lying around (Thanks Isk). It certainly has a "dry crisp" feel on moderate impact drives, but because of its lack of stiffness and "density", high impact can feel "hollow" and "flimsy" which eats away some of the crispness.

For the Boll ALC, it has a very nice clicky feedback on smashes, and fairly precise feel on soft strokes. But for moderate high impact shots, there exists a cross-over point where you don't fully feel the bottoming out crack and the hard surface yet low density construction along with composite dampening make me feel like I'm not hitting hard enough, thus dull.

For some thick 7 plies (hinoki/basswood blades), you get a stiff reinforced solid yet not dampened feel on mid and high impact (thus crisp). But you also loose some precise feedback on low effort shots, thus some people will say these feel dull.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 17:41 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Probably the same as "hard". And I'd say a blade feels "hard" if it's stiff and it vibrates at a high frequency, while a "soft" blade vibrates at a lower frequency.

As with pretty much everything when it comes to describe the properties of table tennis bats, the term is poorly defined and there can be more than one definition. And you'll find terms coming in and going out of favor. Few people talk about "dwell time" anymore these days. "Catapult" seems to be in at the moment.

Iskandar

To further complicate things, I've had low frequency blades that felt hard and high frequency blades that felt soft/hollow. Frequency is an approximation of stiffness, not hardness/density.

Also, hardness and density can be mutually exclusive...

Sigh, if only our sport can be as scientific and standardized as golf equipment.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2020, 22:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

SECRET RECIPE always UNDER LID.

Plywood glue is the key.
Gluing materials will contribute much to the overal speed of blade.
Formulation OF GLUE YOU NEVER KNOW.
URETANE? Silicone? Metacricin? NITROSEAMINE? Cyanoacrylate? None.
Fish boney glue is the best. Refer to AMATI, Stradivari violine gluing works..

https://www.restauro-online.com/epages/ ... cale=en_GB
/BE HAPPY./

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020, 03:43 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

lasta wrote:
To further complicate things, I've had low frequency blades that felt hard and high frequency blades that felt soft/hollow. Frequency is an approximation of stiffness, not hardness/density.

Also, hardness and density can be mutually exclusive...

Sigh, if only our sport can be as scientific and standardized as golf equipment.

To be honest, I don't think the sport is really any the worse for it. It's only us equipment enthusiasts and hobbyists who obsess about this stuff actually care.. :lol: The pros just find what works for them and continue to buy it, they probably don't care at all about why it actually works or what wood is in it or whether blade A is "harder" than blade B. They do know that both are great, but they like A better than B. All those new rubbers that come out every year - who are they intended to attact? Us, not them. We're the ones who make the companies money.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020, 20:47 

Bang on Isk!