OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 14:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2020, 01:12 

Recently i got my hands on a sheet of 563 (1.8mm black) i pretend to put it in my galaxy 987. My play style is flat hit on forehand, wide blocks, side cut and smash in backhand (although i want to try chopping some balls).
I heard that at 1.8mm this pip plays similarly to a SP, and if so does it still retains the light reversal that the MPs have ? And also as a penholder is there anything i should keep in mind during game, like being extra aggressive and taking every ball as forehand ? or is it feasible to maintain a Chiang Peng Lung style of penhold ? (just sitting on my back corner blocking everything)

Well guys, its been 3 years and I was wrong (kinda) the rubber can do basically everything, serve, hit, loop-ish, attack, block, chop block etc, its just mostly average in all of those aspects as opposed to doing one thing well and doing average at everything else. That being said, I do like the play-style, for the most part. I found myself using the block to kite my opponent if he was attacking until I could get a counter-hit (the blocks and hit are the only above average thing with this particular, rubber-thickness-racket combo). Or even attacking a push, initiating the aggression myself and forcing a mistake, I hit backspin balls rather easily, even on the backhand. That said you need to play close to the table which really isn't my thing so I did end up dropping this rubber

Last edited by nighitimare on 26 Mar 2023, 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020, 03:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I don't know. But I can tell you what happened to me.. :lol: I put a sheet of 563 on my backhand about five years ago - I thought I'd try playing like Fukuhara Ai. Not only did it not improve my backhand, it totally wrecked my forehand, since I had to play so close to the table. I gave it up in about a week...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020, 20:07 

iskandar taib wrote:
I don't know. But I can tell you what happened to me.. :lol: I put a sheet of 563 on my backhand about five years ago - I thought I'd try playing like Fukuhara Ai. Not only did it not improve my backhand, it totally wrecked my forehand, since I had to play so close to the table. I gave it up in about a week...

Iskandar

oh well, perhaps it will perform differently with a penhold style

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2020, 04:00 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Oh wait.. are you planning to put it on the back side of your penhold blade?? (Short) Pips out penhold has a long history in table tennis, this was China's national style back in the 1960s and 70s. This was based on close-to-the-table hitting. But on the reverse side?? I don't think I've ever come across anyone who uses pips out on the RPB side (I'm sure they exist, I just haven't come across any), though I've seen twiddlers (Old Man Huang uses expanded long pips/short pips and twiddles). RPB is mainly used for topspin drives and loops on the extreme backhand, and banana flicks - drives on the near backhand and middle are usually covered using the front side of the blade. RPB is relatively new - the old Chinese masters only had rubber (pips out) on one side of the blade.

I'm not saying pips out RPB (especially med pips RPB) won't work, but it would be unusual.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2020, 09:28 

iskandar taib wrote:
Oh wait.. are you planning to put it on the back side of your penhold blade?? (Short) Pips out penhold has a long history in table tennis, this was China's national style back in the 1960s and 70s. This was based on close-to-the-table hitting. But on the reverse side?? I don't think I've ever come across anyone who uses pips out on the RPB side (I'm sure they exist, I just haven't come across any), though I've seen twiddlers (Old Man Huang uses expanded long pips/short pips and twiddles). RPB is mainly used for topspin drives and loops on the extreme backhand, and banana flicks - drives on the near backhand and middle are usually covered using the front side of the blade. RPB is relatively new - the old Chinese masters only had rubber (pips out) on one side of the blade.

I'm not saying pips out RPB (especially med pips RPB) won't work, but it would be unusual.

Iskandar

not rpb, using it for single sided play

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2020, 20:18 

Moin,

563 is more disrupting but also lacks control compared with short pips.
And with your style i think control is paramount.
Give it a try but i think with a classic SP like Spinpips, 802, 802-1, 802-40... for an all out/penholder style you will do better.
See Videos with He Zhi When on youtube.

Greetings Claus

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2020, 22:13 

ClausTrophobie wrote:
Moin,

Give it a try but i think with a classic SP like Spinpips, 802, 802-1, 802-40... for an all out/penholder style you will do better.

Greetings Claus

I had a chance to us it last Friday and oh boy, it not only soaks up most of the ball's energy it also reverses spin. Although i will have to work very hard to get my forehand stroke right, i am into something. At some points in the training i was able to produce backspin counter hits and even loop with it.

edit 10/2/2020 - first week went by and my suspicion was correct, the rubber has an immense potential, but it is hard for a single sided penholder to harness it

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2021, 17:42 

Blade: DHS PG7
FH: DHS 651
BH: 1 sided (Red covering)
nighitimare wrote:
ClausTrophobie wrote:
Moin,

Greetings Claus

I had a chance to us it last Friday and oh boy, it not only soaks up most of the ball's energy it also reverses spin. Although i will have to work very hard to get my forehand stroke right, i am into something. At some points in the training i was able to produce backspin counter hits and even loop with it.

edit 10/2/2020 - first week went by and my suspicion was correct, the rubber has an immense potential, but it is hard for a single sided penholder to harness it
as someone who has playe MP 1 sided before, I can safely say, stop looping with it, it is not designed to be played that way.

Here are some examples :
- Enemy serves pendulum serve, you sideswipe to counter the sidespin, and then stand a bit closer to the middle of the table, then hit the next attacked ball (If enemy pushes, aggressively push to their elbowthen pivot a bit.) (Guaranteed FH hit, try it yourself)

- Serve a short reverse pendulum, then pivot a bit, guaranteed FH hit on MP

Don't play steady blocks, play strong blocks that "punch" and direct the ball, use FH to hit, and don't hesitate on TPB hitting

Sent from my RMX2002 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2021, 16:04 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
Rubber properties for shakehand and penholder grip are very hard to compare. Pips orientation (horizontal and vertical) becomes opposite. Wrist axis and flexibility is also very different.

Shakehand FH players typically need more grippy rubber then penhold players.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2023, 23:07 

Blade: Xiom ICE CREAM AZX
FH: VICTAS 102 (ZLC side)2 mm
BH: Spinlord Gipfelsturm 1.5m
nighitimare wrote:
Recently i got my hands on a sheet of 563 (1.8mm black) i pretend to put it in my galaxy 987. My play style is flat hit on forehand, wide blocks, side cut and smash in backhand (although i want to try chopping some balls).
I heard that at 1.8mm this pip plays similarly to a SP, and if so does it still retains the light reversal that the MPs have ? And also as a penholder is there anything i should keep in mind during game, like being extra aggressive and taking every ball as forehand ? or is it feasible to maintain a Chiang Peng Lung style of penhold ? (just sitting on my back corner blocking everything)

I was a SP BH player before but changed to 563 for a period of time. The purpose is to play like SP but have the advantage of medium pimple. However I found one problem of 563. You need to control blade angle very well or you will make the ball too high while push a less strong back spin ball. I gave up 563 after met Spinlord Gipfelsturm. It solves the problem. I use Spinlord Gipfelsturm 1.5mm. You can try 1.8mm if you want more speed.

Blade#1: Xiom ICE CREAM AZX
Blade#2: Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
Blade#3: Joo Saehyuk
FH: VICTAS 102 2.0mm
BH#1: Spinlord Gipfelsturm 1.5mm (ALC side)
BH#2: Nittaku DO Knuckle 1.4mm
BH#3: Yasaka Anti Power