OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 12:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Advice Needed . . .
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2020, 04:38 

Hi!! I've been using LPs on my BH for 15-years, so that's coming along, but still tuning up my FH. Since I don't use much spin, I am conducting another SP experiment. Any thoughts on what would be best for up close, fast attack . . . hit, punch block, push/chop over the table play? I need control . . . I can supply the speed . . . hitting through spin is helpful . . . don't want floaters and balls sailing off table.

I've been using Winning Komann NP-8 on 1.5 and it's not bad. Never liked 802 or 802-40 much (I realize many are similar, but . . . )

Moristo SP
    Rakza PO
    Victas VO>102
    Spectol
    Other ______

Sponge configuration?

Post subject: Re: Advice Needed . . .
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2020, 22:15 

Blade: Gambler Oversize Kevlar
FH: RITC 802 OX
BH: RITC 802 OX
Right now I am experimenting with short pips on both sides myself, and I have put together setups that range from a Gambler Oversize Kevlar with 729 802 on .6mm sponge to an Avalox P700 with 729 802-40 on 2.2mm sponge and others in between. It sounds like you want to do what I want to do: stay at the table and win points with speed and control. I have found that I greatly prefer a slower blade with more control and supply the power myself. My favorite setup so far is actually the Gambler oversize Kevlar with 802 on .6mm sponge. The control is wonderful, and the speed seems to be adequate so far. I may end up migrating to 1.0 or 1.2 mm sponge to see if I can retain the control of .6mm with a little more speed. So my vote would be to try a DEF-ALL blade and thin sponge.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2020, 02:01 

Yeah, we're in it together!
I conducted dozens of experiments since about 2005 . . . changing rubbers and blades like underwear. ;-) I have a bit of a physical disability, so my strokes and style of play are unorthodox. It's much easier for a two-winged looper, chopper, or other standard form to zero-in on the best gear. I don't have high level examples that I can model after. I need to pick and choose and piece it all together. I tried all the standard offerings for SP (stiff 7-ply like P-700, Clipper, etc) and LP (oversized balsa, etc). The combination game also presents some problems as what suits LP often contradicts what suits SP. In addition, I've found that I'm more comfortable getting low when stroking with SP, but more upright for LP . . . bouncing up and down is problematic and I need to stay smoother with my positioning and footwork. If you are using SP on both sides it's much simpler for sure.

Yep, going with a slower blade with more feel seems to be a big step in the right direction.

Blade: I'm currently using Donic Appelgren Allplay, and it's not bad, but as an EJ Madman I can't help but to think there might be something better.
LP: OX or .6 sponge to reduce a little "clunk" and provide a little cushion is all I'd need.
SP: Not sure. I wish I could be happy with a cheap Chinese rubber here like 802, but damn . . . . what about those Euro/Jap options that cost 4x more? Are they better?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2020, 03:38 
Super User

Tommy Zai wrote:
SP: Not sure. I wish I could be happy with a cheap Chinese rubber here like 802, but damn . . . . what about those Euro/Jap options that cost 4x more? Are they better?

A number of European brands pips and rubbers like Dr Neubauer, Der-Materialspezialist, Spinlord are made in China. The difference is they have better quality control. You may like a "cheap chinese rubber", but when you go buy a replacement, that new rubber may perform very differently. Or even look and feel differently. By buying the Euro brands, you can expect the same consistency.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2020, 05:00 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: Stiga Vertical 20 0.5mm
I briefly tried Gambler's GXS short pip in 1.5mm. It was a hell of a lot faster than the 802-1 I'm using now, and way spinnier. I was able to do both banana and strawberry flicks off of moderate backspin balls with the pips, while still being able to drive & smash against topspin with consistency. The sponge is too fast to defend with, but hey most people don't get SP's to chop so that point is probably moot.

Quality was great, and its cheap at only $15 a sheet. I haven't tried other expensive SP's, but it probably plays more similar to the tensored spinny shortpips... It's definitely very different from 802-1!

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2020, 05:24 

fazer227 wrote:
Tommy Zai wrote:
A number of European brands pips and rubbers like Dr Neubauer, Der-Materialspezialist, Spinlord are made in China. The difference is they have better quality control. You may like a "cheap chinese rubber", but when you go buy a replacement, that new rubber may perform very differently. Or even look and feel differently. By buying the Euro brands, you can expect the same consistency.

For sure! You can buy a few sheets of 802 and each are different . . . especially the sponges.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2020, 06:49 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I liked Butterfly Challenger Attack 1.5mm. Good for hitting and blocking. You can also chop defend with it although that's not it's strength. Can't really remember many if any short pimples that excelled at pushing. TSP Spectol 21 will also let you hit and block and it can create quite nasty flat skiddy balls although I found it harder to learn to use than the challenger.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 12:30 
Super User

Hopsquatch wrote:
I briefly tried Gambler's GXS short pip in 1.5mm. It was a hell of a lot faster than the 802-1 I'm using now, and way spinnier. I was able to do both banana and strawberry flicks off of moderate backspin balls with the pips, while still being able to drive & smash against topspin with consistency. The sponge is too fast to defend with, but hey most people don't get SP's to chop so that point is probably moot.

Quality was great, and its cheap at only $15 a sheet. I haven't tried other expensive SP's, but it probably plays more similar to the tensored spinny shortpips... It's definitely very different from 802-1!

How does it play GXS?

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 12:38 
Super User

fazer227 wrote:
Tommy Zai wrote:

It depends where you buy, all my dawei sheets were the same.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!