OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:27

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Would a video review of Asics Gel Hunter 2 be useful to you
Yes 38%  38%  [ 8 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 6 ]
Not bothered either way 33%  33%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 21
PostPosted: 17 May 2015, 00:54 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Ahah... I was wondering where one would play outdoors a lot, now I know.. ;) Pretty impossible in Holland (I stayed there for some months a few years back) - even when the weather is warm there's enough wind to make it impossible. There were a couple of concrete tables outside, never saw anyone use them.

Every weekend I play "outdoors" but it's in someone's porch. Still very difficult to play when there's even a little wind.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 May 2015, 06:40 

You would think wind would affect your play, but it is actually much less of a factor than you think. Outdoor TT is very popular in China, I lived there for 3 years. I played in Chongqing (a city of 32 million people) and there was tables everywhere. Stone tables on sidewalks, regular wood tables everywhere, even in my apartment lobby. Tournament playing / training halls everywhere (those were indoors). University grounds with endless tables. I played outside 95% of the time and I never remember wind being a problem.
In Bali it's not a problem either. The heat and sun is more of a problem!
Anyway if you are in Bali let me know. I know Holland is not far.

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 04:14 

Just an update on this, I stopped using the New Balance 696 Tennis shoes as I found them too robust, to heavy and bulky feeling. It was hard to move freely in shoes that felt like low top boots. They just felt too big, just not right. This is probably true of any -modern- tennis shoe. So I picked up some Reebok NPC II RE Classic Tennis shoes. Right off the bat these feel much better. Much more like actual table tennis shoes but with a tougher sole, so they will be good for street table tennis. I'm basically convinced these are the perfect shoes for me at this point. If anyone else plays in these let me know how they feel for you.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 03:06 

For me it's quality, weight, grip and design in that order. I'm currently using Stiga Instinct which I think is really nice especially the design.

PostPosted: 26 May 2015, 07:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Iron Lee wrote:
You would think wind would affect your play, but it is actually much less of a factor than you think. Outdoor TT is very popular in China, I lived there for 3 years. I played in Chongqing (a city of 32 million people) and there was tables everywhere. Stone tables on sidewalks, regular wood tables everywhere, even in my apartment lobby. Tournament playing / training halls everywhere (those were indoors). University grounds with endless tables. I played outside 95% of the time and I never remember wind being a problem.

Post some photos, man!!! I'd love to see some of these, especially the endless tables!

I find the wind effects me quite a bit - the gentlest breeze and my brush loop (against backspin) goes. Very much more and any ball bounces funny (and then everyone starts playing a pushing game). When it really gets up there whoever is on the upwind side of the table just can't keep the ball on the table and whoever is on the downwind side keeps putting the ball in the net. The wind here never gets as bad as it does in Holland (there's a reason why there are so many windmills there!).

Iskandar

PostPosted: 31 May 2015, 03:10 

So my classic Reebok Tennis shoes were ok for a couple hours play until my toes started hurting because the toe box is too narrow, plus there is not allot of cushion in the insole, and very little ventilation throughout the shoe (although that's not a big deal).
I tried an old pair of Addidas Volcano low top basketball shoes I had, and the work amazingly well. No ventilation in those because they are old school, but they have a harder outsole with a softer insole. No I'm thinking modern low top basketball shoes are my answer for street table tennis. Maybe a shoe such as the low top Nike Kobe shoes http://m.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/kobe-x-ba ... id-1607457
Seem perfect and closest to the shape of actual TT shoes... Anyway that's probably what I'll be trying very soon. If anyone has tried these already let me know! :Chop:

PostPosted: 31 May 2015, 15:12 

iskandar taib wrote:
Iron Lee wrote:

Post some photos, man!!! I'd love to see some of these, especially the endless tables!

I find the wind effects me quite a bit - the gentlest breeze and my brush loop (against backspin) goes. Very much more and any ball bounces funny (and then everyone starts playing a pushing game). When it really gets up there whoever is on the upwind side of the table just can't keep the ball on the table and whoever is on the downwind side keeps putting the ball in the net. The wind here never gets as bad as it does in Holland (there's a reason why there are so many windmills there!).

Iskandar

I lived there (in Chongqing China) almost 6 years ago now. At the time I didn't shoot photos of anything table tennis, because I had just started at the time. I just remember it being extremely popular there. TT shops, tables on sidewalks everywhere, free tournament playing halls. It really is heaven if you play TT. I've since moved to Bali where TT almost doesn't exist. I still play on the odd table I can find.
The wind I don't ever remember being a problem, I guess all the buildings in Chongqing easily blocked any wind. Even if there was wind that's just part of street TT. That and stone or really crappy dirty wooden tables, different surfaces; chewed up asphalt or sidewalks, whatever.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 15:38 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
7 years on and these are my Asics Gel-Hunter 2's. This is how they have lasted.... or not.

The biggest issue over that time has been how the sole changed.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 19:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Very impressive! I don't think I've ever had shoes that long! :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2020, 22:57 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?