OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 17:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 28 Nov 2020, 15:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:
What, people still play table tennis?

I can start again on Tuesday. There were 30 about cases of covid over the last 2 weeks and that caused all indoor sport to cease. There are now zero cases per day, so life goes back to normal in Adelaide.

We officially have ~80 new cases every day in the city I live (population about 1 million). Unofficially probably a lot more. The local healthcare is overwhelmed and most doctors seem to get covid at some point. Yet there are tournaments and people are playing. Some events were canceled due to bad outbreaks, though.

Yeah, the situation sucks everywhere. Even though there is no community transmission in Australia, people are nervous and it's not exactly business as usual. Everyone is really hoping for an effective vaccine.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2020, 01:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:
What, people still play table tennis?

People are still sending through video with their robots/partners at home. All members are always invited to do so.

People who still own a table (and a home to put it in). I am tableless (also homeless but less worried abt that) for the first time since 2012. The journey to Broward has taken a Covid-induced 18 month detour. Thinking positive, my bed and floor serves will be world-class by the time I get there in Spetember or October, if all goes well.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2020, 01:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Ok, I guess it is all over we can start playing tomorrow!

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2020, 22:04 

Brett Clarke wrote:

Harimoto Dive training below.

Do you think he is using the dive more now because

(a) he is physically stronger than before, i.e. the dive with his current physique is as powerful as the shove with his previous physique plus recovery is probably faster with the dive or

(b) he wanted to copy ML or

(c) maybe there's another reason

I noticed that he's lifting his heels off the floor whereas ML doesn't seem to do that (it's not obvious at least). Do you have a recommendation on that?

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 00:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

(a) he is physically stronger than before, i.e. the dive with his current physique is as powerful as the shove with his previous physique plus recovery is probably faster with the dive or

I noticed that he's lifting his heels off the floor whereas ML doesn't seem to do that (it's not obvious at least). Do you have a recommendation on that?

(d) he and his coaches read this thread

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 10:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I think it could be a bit of everything. The dive allows you to take the ball early and that cut into the opponent's time. Maybe he has been watching lots of Ma Long.

His heels are coming off the ground because he's taking the ball very early. I don't really have any thoughts on this vs Ma Long.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 10:56 

Dr.Pivot wrote:

(d) he and his coaches read this thread

lol...his dad was bored during the state of emergency and he was looking for some tt comedy. he found some technical advice as well and now Tomokazu has to pay the price (or is he reaping the rewards?) Tomokazu looks really annoyed that his dad is asking him to practice the dive after doing the shove for such a long time

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2020, 10:58 

Brett Clarke wrote:
chopblock wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I think it could be a bit of everything. The dive allows you to take the ball early and that cut into the opponent's time. Maybe he has been watching lots of Ma Long.

His heels are coming off the ground because he's taking the ball very early. I don't really have any thoughts on this vs Ma Long.

Thanks! I am trying to improve my mental approach to the game using the visualizations you talk about in some of your videos. can you recommend some books on this topic?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 08:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

chopblock wrote:
Thanks! I am trying to improve my mental approach to the game using the visualizations you talk about in some of your videos. can you recommend some books on this topic?

I don't have a book recommendation.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2020, 17:18 

Brett Clarke wrote:
chopblock wrote:

ok

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2020, 00:07 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
chopblock wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
chopblock wrote:

ok

Some of the books I have heard recommended (they may or may not help and not all are table tennis books and some may not seem worth the money):

Get Your Game Face On
Ping Pong for Fighters
The Inner Game of Tennis
With Winning in Mind

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2020, 03:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
chopblock wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

ok

Some of the books I have heard recommended (they may or may not help and not all are table tennis books and some may not seem worth the money):

Get Your Game Face On
Ping Pong for Fighters
The Inner Game of Tennis
With Winning in Mind

I read the first three and liked PingPong for Fighters the most. All three were good in different ways.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2020, 08:44 

@NextLevel and BRS

thanks for the recommendations!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2020, 10:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I really liked "Winning Ugly: Mental Warfare in Tennis." A lot of the material is applicable to table tennis and is a really fun read anyway. I read the "Get Your Game Face On" and I was not really impressed.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 00:34 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Dr.Pivot wrote:
I really liked "Winning Ugly: Mental Warfare in Tennis." A lot of the material is applicable to table tennis and is a really fun read anyway. I read the "Get Your Game Face On" and I was not really impressed.

This is probably the one I was really thinking of when I wrote "With winning in Mind", which is a different book - Brad Gilbert is a really entertaining guy.

I know what you mean about Kurimay's book. But for someone who doesn't have any familiarity with the field, it might help.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524 ... 568  Next