OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2020, 01:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Dr.Pivot wrote:
I really liked "Winning Ugly: Mental Warfare in Tennis." A lot of the material is applicable to table tennis and is a really fun read anyway. I read the "Get Your Game Face On" and I was not really impressed.

This is probably the one I was really thinking of when I wrote "With winning in Mind", which is a different book - Brad Gilbert is a really entertaining guy.

I know what you mean about Kurimay's book. But for someone who doesn't have any familiarity with the field, it might help.

Agree about Kurimay but if you don't have a between-point routine, it could still be really valuable on like a $6 investment. If you have a problem concentrating or sometimes lose your temper (like I do bigly) Game Face could be great. It makes a good 1-2 with PPfF. PPfF will teach you to unleash an epic bat-throwing tantrum (look Tahl up on YT), and GYGFO will teach you how not to.

Yoko Ono

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2021, 03:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Since we are all stuck inside, has anyone tried table tennis in Virtual Reality? IMHO bringing TTEdge App to VR would be the next level.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2021, 20:39 

Nice to see a posting on the forum. Dr Pivot's suggested VR extension of the ttEDGE app sounds great, although resource and expertise requirements might act as a brake.

Happy New Year to everyone. Let's hope for some TT in 2021.

Shove & Dive: I'm posting here to admit my ignorance of the detailed nature of these alternative BH topspins, and am not sure which one I do (probably neither!).

On 21 March 2020, Brett announced ttEDGE 2020 03 – BH "Shove" Topspin. Mickd then posted video (28 March), and I *think* his version was named, somewhere, the "Dive". Lots of postings at this time, which I've just gone back to re-read, including a blizzard video of BHs from Fan ZhenDong and Ma Long.

It would appear, from what Brett says about this video, that FZD does the Shove, while ML is a Diver – as is Harimoto (and Chen Meng too?). Brett later posts a video on 28 November of "Harimoto Dive training". I get the impression that Harimoto's BH must have evolved over time from a Shove to a Dive, but I could well be wrong here.

Have I got Shove/Dive definitions right, or is it the other way around? Which one is "better", or can they achieve the same result (quality, power, consistency), with the right player? In fact, does it really matter where one is on the "shove dive chart" (6 October)?

Brett also says (14 September): From close range, I think a dive is probably best but the difference between a shove and a dive is a long conversation. I'm trying to dive when I'm very close (often), and then Squat and Thrust from further back, or against backspin. The lines tend to get blurred.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2021, 00:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I actually got a headset recently and wonder if it is worth spending 19.99$ on the ping pong app there. But overall VR is an insanely immersive experience (Half-Life: Alyx and flightsims are what I tried so far), IMHO it is really the future. Agree that the TTEdge app in VR will take an enormous effort to develop, but maybe in the future technologies will allow making it a lot easier. Just imagine, maybe we will have a chance to spend hours watching (or even returning!) Fan Zhendong's serves on our own, with realistic perceptions of the physics of the process.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2021, 08:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

elbowed wrote:
Nice to see a posting on the forum. Dr Pivot's suggested VR extension of the ttEDGE app sounds great, although resource and expertise requirements might act as a brake.

Happy New Year to everyone. Let's hope for some TT in 2021.

Shove & Dive: I'm posting here to admit my ignorance of the detailed nature of these alternative BH topspins, and am not sure which one I do (probably neither!).

On 21 March 2020, Brett announced ttEDGE 2020 03 – BH "Shove" Topspin. Mickd then posted video (28 March), and I *think* his version was named, somewhere, the "Dive". Lots of postings at this time, which I've just gone back to re-read, including a blizzard video of BHs from Fan ZhenDong and Ma Long.

It would appear, from what Brett says about this video, that FZD does the Shove, while ML is a Diver – as is Harimoto (and Chen Meng too?). Brett later posts a video on 28 November of "Harimoto Dive training". I get the impression that Harimoto's BH must have evolved over time from a Shove to a Dive, but I could well be wrong here.

Have I got Shove/Dive definitions right, or is it the other way around? Which one is "better", or can they achieve the same result (quality, power, consistency), with the right player? In fact, does it really matter where one is on the "shove dive chart" (6 October)?

Brett also says (14 September): From close range, I think a dive is probably best but the difference between a shove and a dive is a long conversation. I'm trying to dive when I'm very close (often), and then Squat and Thrust from further back, or against backspin. The lines tend to get blurred.

Hey Lance,

I am going to make a video on the dive. I admit that I have been extremely lazy in this area and I'm working hard on myself. I have recently done a lot of filming and I have a mountain of video footage to get through. The player I filmed with has beautiful technique with a natural dive, which I've encouraged.

I have a good amount of new serving content too. My greatest coaching gains over the last year have been achieved in serving, which has surprised me a lot. I'll introduce you to the concept of "drift" and "anti-drift" on most serves, along with the stepping back and killing spiders. Anti drift is my way of stopping people from stuffing up serves and getting almost every serve optimal.

I have also recorded myself playing some matches and I'll put some of that on the site as well.

If I don't have a bunch of new videos on ttEDGE.com by the end of the month, then I completely suck. I have everything I need and it's on me. I've stopped private coaching and I have all the time in the world.

I'm playing a lot myself (Washed Up TT) and it has been an interesting ride. I've spent the last few months experimenting with a narrower focus on the ball and I'm liking the results. I'll talk more about this later.

Happy New Year to everyone!

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2021, 08:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
I actually got a headset recently and wonder if it is worth spending 19.99$ on the ping pong app there. But overall VR is an insanely immersive experience (Half-Life: Alyx and flightsims are what I tried so far), IMHO it is really the future. Agree that the TTEdge app in VR will take an enormous effort to develop, but maybe in the future technologies will allow making it a lot easier. Just imagine, maybe we will have a chance to spend hours watching (or even returning!) Fan Zhendong's serves on our own, with realistic perceptions of the physics of the process.

I had a lot of plans for the Table Tennis Edge app, but the truth is, I'm going to leave it where it is. I'm happy that we made it etc, though it's just not something I can continue to do because of the business mistakes I made around it. I involved too may partners who had little purpose except for collecting the small profits. That all said, I think the app is amazing and it's worth the cost of a Big Mac meal. It's a finished product, without flaws.

Here's a free unsolicited business lesson for everyone - If you want people to do something for you, just pay them a fair fee. Never make them an equal partner. The reason is, you'll end up doing all of the work and the partners will take the majority of the money.

I hope someone makes some quality VR content. I'll be the first customer.

I have done a lot of video LTT110 over the last few months. I have even downloaded a Google Chrome Extension called "YouTube Video Flipper", so I can sit behind left or right handed players. The extension allows you to flip the image with a single click. This is my VR training and I think it's extremely valuable.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2021, 09:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
Since we are all stuck inside, has anyone tried table tennis in Virtual Reality? IMHO bringing TTEdge App to VR would be the next level.

It's interesting stuff for sure.

I do, however, wonder if it will sell more that 3D TV? VR still hasn't become mainstream, even though it has come a very long way. Will people really sit there with headsets on? I've never seen someone at the park with a VR headset. Or will it only become mainstream when Elon Musk introduces Neurolink type technology?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2021, 11:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Dr.Pivot wrote:

It's interesting stuff for sure.

I do, however, wonder if it will sell more that 3D TV? VR still hasn't become mainstream, even though it has come a very long way. Will people really sit there with headsets on? I've never seen someone at the park with a VR headset. Or will it only become mainstream when Elon Musk introduces Neurolink type technology?

VR is still niche, partially because for many headsets usability sucks, which only makes them available to stubborn technology enthusiasts. Plus they require very powerful PCs to run complex stuff, and even the top ones are not powerful enough (yet). And headsets are not usable outside (yet). But IMHO VR is the future. It is just amazing how it can trick your brain into feeling something that is not actually happening with your body.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2021, 11:50 

Quote:
I have done a lot of video LTT110 over the last few months. I have even downloaded a Google Chrome Extension called "YouTube Video Flipper", so I can sit behind left or right handed players. The extension allows you to flip the image with a single click. This is my VR training and I think it's extremely valuable.

Hi Brett, what are the chances of dropping a few links on the forum to let newbies to LT110 get access to suitable footage?

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2021, 09:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I watch lots of matches providing the camera angle is correct. Almost all ITTF camera angles are usable, except for the new WTT angle. This is an example of a useable camera angle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpQmOotrh4A

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021, 13:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
I watch lots of matches providing the camera angle is correct. Almost all ITTF camera angles are usable, except for the new WTT angle. This is an example of a useable camera angle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpQmOotrh4A

I really like the WTT side view angle. That's what a great seat at a tournament looks like. Maybe it's rubbish for your training purposes, but imo as a spectator it's great. Too often other channels don't pick a diagonal and it's ten minutes looking at someone's back with their arm waving around, and no view of the table or ball.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2021, 23:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Here is an example of the angle I don't like. This is a match I would love to see. But from here why bother?

https://youtu.be/5oq6yGsZLME

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2021, 22:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

My favorite angle

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 11:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Dr.Pivot wrote:
My favorite angle

That's the angle I choose to watch from at live tournaments.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2021, 11:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Welp I got sick for like a month and finally played today. Lots and lots of training stays. My timing is a little off but wasn't really that bad. I'm super excited to get past this covid stuff now that I'm mostly work from home. Covid is going to transform my life for the better. Yeah so i need some training videos to get me going again too...

Ttedge videos even rehashed really get me excited to practice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 519, 520, 521, 522, 523, 524, 525 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!