OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2021, 04:56 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
After a few months of training with Scandal 1.2 I decided to do some testing. I recently purchased thin sponge (0.8 and 0.9) sheets of Scandal and Storkraft. I gave them a try this weekend on my same blade (DMS Deluxe Carbon) and here are my early impressions.

Scandal 0.8: As you would expect, the thin sponge Scandal is noticeably faster than the 1.2. Reversal is similar, maybe slightly higher in my estimation, but not a significant amount. The area that I noticed the biggest difference was in attacking. Attacking with the thin sponge was fast and low - a real bullet. Pushes right off the bounce could really jam an opponent as well. On the downside, it was obviously more difficult to drop serve returns short, which has become a solid part of my strategy. I'll have to try this out a little more, but my initial thought is the 1.2 is better for my style of play.

Storkraft 0.9: This felt like a totally different beast than Scandal. Could definitely feel how much softer the sponge was, even in the thin version. The funny thing is, it felt at least as slow as the Scandal in 1.2, if not slower. I was having some issues with blade angles. The hardness of the rubber sheet and softer sponge was giving me some real issues. Some balls I'd pop up, and others I'd dump into the bottom of the net. That spin reversal though...unbelievable. I thought Scandal had crazy good reversal. I felt like Storkraft took it to another level. It did feel less forgiving than Scandal when it comes to blade angle. I need more practice with it to determine if I want to keep moving forward with Scandal or learn to make the adjustments for Storkraft.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2021, 17:49 
Super User

Blade: Nblades 1 ply hinoki
FH: Rallys Redmonkey
BH: Slick antispin
Next step is to try Barna Super Glanti ? It has even more spin reversal than Störkraft imo

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2021, 22:58 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

What's the best site to purchase that from? Coming from primarily using the 1.2 Scandal, would 1.2 sponge be best for that one as well?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 06:50 
Super User

https://www.barnaoriginal.com/index.php?language=en

Super Glanti in 1.2 is faster than Scandal in than Scandal in 1.2. I'd suggest 1.6mm or 1.2mm. 0.8mm is very fast

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 07:23 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
I would not go with 1.6 unless you have a very fast blade. The throw is high. I went from Reflection 0.9 on Deluxe Carbon to 0.8 SuperGlanti without much trouble.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2021, 22:43 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Thanks for the advice guys!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2021, 01:15 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Had a training session with my coach last night and worked a lot with the Storkraft 0.9 mm sponge. While it does require some changes in comparison to using the Scandal, I'm going to give this one a good long look. As I noted earlier, even with the 0.9 sponge, on my fast blade it was still quite slow. Slower than the 1.2 Scandal. When returning most shots, even top spin shots, it required a firm upward "bump" or it would dump into the net. But my coach noted, the spin reversal was (in his words) "100% more" than the Scandal. Which is saying a lot. I can't imagine playing the thick sponge version of this rubber and how slow that would be.
I really like the 1.2 Scandal, and in the end I may go back to that. But for now, I'm going to be full time testing the use of the Storkraft. Will let you all know how it goes.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 23:07 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Latest update, on Saturday I played a lot of matches with players who I have been playing with for many years. After some early difficulties with the Storkraft due to the differences between it and Scandal, I started getting pretty comfortable with it. By the end of the day, they all said that I needed to stick with the Storkraft, that it gave an unbelievable amount of spin reversal and slowness. I would still say it's more sensitive to blade angle than Scandal, but with time and practice I'll get better at that. It will be worth it for the improved effect that they said it gave me. One of the other players has an almost 2000 USATT rating using inverted on his forehand and DMS Reflection on his backhand, and I won a match against him, something I haven't done for a while.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2021, 20:51 

dwruck, how heavy is the storkraft in 0.8 compared to a sheet of OX LP? Thanks!

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2021, 23:10 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

In my estimation it is only slightly heavier because the sponge is so soft. While the rubber sheet itself is very hard, it is not heavy.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 20:12 

So I finally bought a sheet of Storkraft. This is my first sheet of anti and the directions included are confusing me. I don't want to mess this up so maybe someone can clarify. If I'm reading it correctly, it states to apply the included glue sheet to the sponge, then peel the paper off the opposite side of the glue sheet and apply glue on it, then press on to the glued racket. Why would you apply glue to the glue sheet? Isn't the point of the glue sheet to stick the rubber to the racket?

This got me thinking something else: Has anyone applied the glue sheet to the sponge and not removed the opposite paper on the other side, then applying glue to the paper and gluing to racket? Wouldn't this make it easier to remove when changing to other rackets?

Thanks for any thoughts!

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 20:40 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

gaijinjoe wrote:
So I finally bought a sheet of Storkraft. This is my first sheet of anti and the directions included are confusing me. I don't want to mess this up so maybe someone can clarify. If I'm reading it correctly, it states to apply the included glue sheet to the sponge, then peel the paper off the opposite side of the glue sheet and apply glue on it, then press on to the glued racket. Why would you apply glue to the glue sheet? Isn't the point of the glue sheet to stick the rubber to the racket?

This got me thinking something else: Has anyone applied the glue sheet to the sponge and not removed the opposite paper on the other side, then applying glue to the paper and gluing to racket? Wouldn't this make it easier to remove when changing to other rackets?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Tge glue sheet is to keep the rubber amd sponge stretched and protect the sensitive sponge from glue. To use glue between the blade and gluesheet is to protect the blade, since the gluesheet may stick too hard to the blade otherwise. You should have the blade sealed before using gluesheet.

But glue sheet is also optional. I use it sometimes, sometimes not. The set up.can feel a little faster with glue sheet. But Störkraft has a sponge that is very sensitive and it is not very good glued to the top sheet, it easily seperates compared to SuperGlanto or Reflection. So for that reason I would recommend you to use glue sheet and use glue at least on the blade. This way you csn remove the rubber carefully from the blade without wrecking it (use an un-sharp knife and lift the rubber from the blade without bending the rubber).

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 22:49 

How about not peeling the paper off the other side of the glue sheet after attaching to sponge and just using glue to attach to racket? That would make it easier to remove later, right?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 23:41 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

gaijinjoe wrote:
How about not peeling the paper off the other side of the glue sheet after attaching to sponge and just using glue to attach to racket? That would make it easier to remove later, right?
You should always peel of the protection sheets from both sides of the glue sheet.

A normal glue sheet has one side that is normal sticky and one that is very sticky. If you attach the very sticky one to an unsealed blade you may hurt the blade when removing.the glue sheet. So seal the blade. And use waterbased glue with the gluesheet, then it will be easier to remove.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 03:20 
Super User

You can watch this tutorial to glue the glanti: https://youtu.be/qoMPlxqDMJQ

Be careful to glue it on the right blade. Because once it is glued, it is very difficult to remove it without damaging the rubber, especially when you haven't done it before.

BH - Slick antispin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next