OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:36

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2021, 08:35 

I don’t use treated pips. However, a rebellious part of me says that stupid rules should be defied. As it was pointed out, it was no more than a business dispute and, as such, shouldn’t affect anyone else...

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2021, 09:52 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
nachalnik wrote:
I don’t use treated pips. However, a rebellious part of me says that stupid rules should be defied. As it was pointed out, it was no more than a business dispute and, as such, shouldn’t affect anyone else...

Even If you treat the pips ,you will reach a level of , let's say, 7 / 7.5 out of 10,which is really good.With this plastic ball you will hit a plateau very soon and when you get beaten over and over again you will realise that ,with these current rules and this plastic ball ,the key is the speed to mess up with the opponent's timing .It is really a waste of time - and money at that -to treat pips and even worse to buy them from professional sources .

Try to find a decent level close to the table blocker in the men's pro tour list...... tick-tock,tick-tock,tick-tock.................. now, please tell me their rating ,.....

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 08:46 
Super User

The following video is an example of what the ITTF hates : a player thrashing an opponent by using FL pips as they call this strategy the anti pinpong ..... the moral of the story seems to be : the more you ban and hate , the more fl pips you create :lol: .....

The following is the real disturbance we dream of and no current pip will ever replicate again :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxwW74h5AVY

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2021, 13:36 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
charmander defender wrote:
The following video is an example of what the ITTF hates : a player thrashing an opponent by using FL pips as they call this strategy the anti pinpong ..... the moral of the story seems to be : the more you ban and hate , the more fl pips you create :lol: .....

The following is the real disturbance we dream of and no current pip will ever replicate again :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxwW74h5AVY

I doubt that this is an example of what the ITTF hates. This is a highly skilled player who has great movement, touch and reflexes, not to mention a great forehand. I think what the ITTF might be more concerned about is some old granny with frictionless long pips making athletic but idiotic CHO!-ing looper kids look stupid and making the game look amateurish as a result. Or else, the ITTF might be concerned with personal grudges of the sort that informed the frictionless ban in the first place.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2021, 01:41 
Super User

I agree,however, I doubt that player could have had the same results without fl pips.That was the idea I wanted to convey. I think our game is based on the pips, then, the rest of the strategy comes along .Why do you think the defenders with a great fh want FL pips as well ?

Of course, the topic of the granny and the kids is another can of worms ; so it means because of not watching that disgraceful comic game, the rest of the world must be punished and not allowed to use Fl pips??? I don't think this is a fair , right argument to ban FL pips,... and my theory is : the more you ban , the more people will want to break the law,...... in life any time you ban, there appears a guy to outsmart you,...this seems to be the human condition ,....

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2021, 02:50 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

I agree,however, I doubt that player could have had the same results without fl pips.That was the idea I wanted to convey. I think our game is based on the pips, then, the rest of the strategy comes along .Why do you think the defenders with a great fh want FL pips as well ?

I think it's really only at lower levels that frictionless pips will give you a big advantage without accompanying disadvantages, because your lower-level opponents won't be able to take advantage of the obvious weaknesses of such pips or will simply make basic
errors against them. At a higher level, like the level of the guy in the video, frictionless pips have as many advantages as disadvantages. The frictionless pips are totally predictable, in that the offensive player knows exactly what he's getting back, whereas with friction pips, there is more variation and unpredictability possible. In addition, with frictionless pips, because he's not going to be getting any sort of underspin if he tries to push in response to a push, making him vulnerable to a flat kill, that means he needs to attack, twiddle or rely on very good placement. With the way this guy moves, he could be playing like a chopper with friction pips, and then he'd have a different set of strengths and weaknesses. It's all a tradeoff. That's part of why I'm saying that I don't think the ITTF is that concerned about someone like the guy in the video.

Of course, the topic of the granny and the kids is another can of worms ; so it means because of not watching that disgraceful comic game, the rest of the world must be punished and not allowed to use Fl pips??? I don't think this is a fair , right argument to ban FL pips,... and my theory is : the more you ban , the more people will want to break the law,...... in life any time you ban, there appears a guy to outsmart you,...this seems to be the human condition ,....

I completely agree with you. I don't even think the game of the frictionless pips granny vs. the looper kid is "disgraceful" or "comic[al]." I see it as a good lesson for the kid, teaching him to engage his brain a bit, something that he's going to have to learn to do anyway if he has any hope of getting beyond a basic playing level.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2021, 23:08 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I completely agree with Tradesman. This game is supposed to be a mental, as much as physical, challenge. There really isn't a lot of mystery to playing against any type of rubber...you just need to understand the rules and think, rather than mindlessly top spinning.

Additionally, I really think it's unfair to constantly take away the type of equipment that older players are able to use and have fun competing with. These are folks who are trying to stay active, physically and mentally, and stay engaged with the sport. What good does it do to, for the sake of making it easier for some little kid, to drive those people away from the sport? This all just makes me mad.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 10:02 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
Additionally, I really think it's unfair to constantly take away the type of equipment that older players are able to use and have fun competing with. These are folks who are trying to stay active, physically and mentally, and stay engaged with the sport. What good does it do to, for the sake of making it easier for some little kid, to drive those people away from the sport? This all just makes me mad.

Well said!

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021, 22:19 
Super User

I see a lot , lot, lot fewer and fewer old people thrashing kids with FL pips.They are not so effective as in the celuloid ball era , the kids have better coaches, the ball makes disruption less and less dangerous.

Keeping the ban is not logical.I have seen many good LP blockers decrease their level a lot.Sometimes to the point they became too vulnerable because they lack plan B or C or D or E,...... this ban forces the LP blocker to reinvent themselves,.... to look for a different strategy,.... to improve other skills,....,which is good ,......

On the other hand,some people have given up on the sport because the equipment does not work any more or their injuries do not let them improve other skills necessary to compensate the inefficiency of pips.Others have become Hitomi Satos because they are still fit enough, even in their 50s or 60s and stopped playing with a blocking style for good .Some players have opted for the anti route despite not liking to stop playing with pips .

LP blockers are becoming dinosaurs.They are going to become extinct.One day I tried counting the LP blockers in a tournament. It was only me!! ,....now, that I come to think of it, it is a very good thing people get bored with playing with a blocking style , the fewer, the better,..those who stay faithful to the style will benefit from the fact that opponents will be less and less used to this style ..... won't they?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2021, 22:12 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
It's possible that as the style becomes more unique, it could become an advantage for you, being the only person at an event playing that style. I think it's a shame, playing against a good long pips blocker is always fun.
For someone who wants to or needs to stay close to the table and block, I see a couple of options if they find that the long pips are no longer effective. First, go to the anti spin rubbers. Second, start using short pips. The anti spin will give the speed reduction and spin reversal. The short pips will give fast returns against loops. Long pips close to the table in the current game can be very good for control, but if you're against a decent looper they are not as disturbing and can keep looping. With short pips the block will come back at them faster and perhaps disturb their rhythm. It's also perfectly fine to keep using long pips, the player just needs to be aware that placement and the ability to counter attack are very important.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2021, 01:52 
Super User

dwruck wrote:
It's possible that as the style becomes more unique, it could become an advantage for you, being the only person at an event playing that style. I think it's a shame, playing against a good long pips blocker is always fun.
For someone who wants to or needs to stay close to the table and block, I see a couple of options if they find that the long pips are no longer effective. First, go to the anti spin rubbers. Second, start using short pips. The anti spin will give the speed reduction and spin reversal. The short pips will give fast returns against loops. Long pips close to the table in the current game can be very good for control, but if you're against a decent looper they are not as disturbing and can keep looping. With short pips the block will come back at them faster and perhaps disturb their rhythm. It's also perfectly fine to keep using long pips, the player just needs to be aware that placement and the ability to counter attack are very important.

I did try the antispin route.I had no time to adjust because we got promoted to a better league .I was impressed by the spin reversal but more impressed by the hefty prices :lol: .It was a time for testing many blades and rubbers.It was fun but very pricey and little time to make the transition.However,I still enjoy pips more even though they are much less effective for a close to the table game.

I tested short pips for a while but I did not like them.I even tried without sponge.Now, I have chosen a fast pip to play more active against loopers-Spinlord Feuerstich-it is a very good rubber to play more aggresssively and it does bother opponents by making them lose their timing .

I am considering to move away from the table and become a chopper a la Hitomi Sato because I am still very fit but then, I would have to spend some months before competing again.Who knows? .The blades I am using now are also very good for chopping- Lion Def and Donier Def -,which would make the transition easier.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2021, 06:28 
Super User

Well I’ve now had a few weeks of testing dtechs ox and bomb talent ox both on a Dr N Titan blade. The dtechs is so difficult to control. Hits difficult. The Bomb Talent caused more problems for my opponents and hits were more consistent. The comparison wasn’t even close Bomb Talent was a clear winner. I’m just surprised everyone says dtechs is the most disturbing long pip available I just cannot agree unless I’m playing it wrong but I’m now sticking with Bomb Talent.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2021, 08:52 
Super User

Couldn't agree more about BT although I have never played D.TecS. Dawei 388D looks and plays similar to BT (slower for sure) but I find BT far better overall. :D

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2021, 21:13 
Super User

TTbuddy wrote:
Couldn't agree more about BT although I have never played D.TecS. Dawei 388D looks and plays similar to BT (slower for sure) but I find BT far better overall. :D

BT out of the LARC from September 21??.It means our discussions will be over.It is something similar to what happened to Scylla, a very good cheap rubber that is not allowed for competitions any more.However, Sword has come out with a new version of Scylla which is in the LARC now,...mmmmm, I wonder if the same thing will happen to a new version of BT :^)

All my Scyllas into the dustbin, all your BTs into the dustbin too :lol: ...... unless you play for fun at the club , of course where Dr. Neubauer Superblock is the never ending king :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 01:10 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

I saw on the German pips forum that it seems like BT and all Bomb rubbers being off the approved list as of September might be a temporary issue due to the manufacturer falling behind on fees due to the pandemic, etc., so they may be able to fix the problem and get back on the list before they're removed.