OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: EJ Quandry
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2021, 05:20 
Super User

Hi,

Okay I'll start-off with a Disclaimer : I'm an incurable EJ... I tried to rehabilitate myself, and managed to stay away from buying and/or trying out new equipment, for a while, but alas - I've relapsed .. Now, I find myself starring @ 3 bare blades, pondering bout the age-old dilemma that's plagued TT EJs - What rubbers do I use with which blade ... So, it's complete [b]Paralysis by Over-Analysis, times 3

So, finally, I have decided to seek help from a support group .. namely The OOAK Forum..

Okay .. i'll cut the B.S, and get to main point ..

I have 3 blades, and am looking for suggestions on what rubbers to pair with which blade..

A brief insight into game-play & skill-level (For the umpteenth time, on this forum)

I switched to Long-pips, on one side, due to injuries..

• On FH - I use inverted .. though, not a prolific looper/top-spinner, I will do so, from time to time .. same with flat-hits .. Will block anything thats hit square into my FH
  • I'd like to think, I'm pretty good at the flat counter game, on both wings (with inverted)
  • On BH - I use Long Pips, and play a mix-style .. ie - blocking-game, close to the table, and also chopping, around mid-distance from the table.. I've been trying to attack with Long-pips, but failing at it, quite spectacularly.. I rely, mainly on placement, and varying the speed..
  • I will twiddle and play/attack with the inverted on my BH, or block/chop with the LP on my FH
  • All-in-all I'd sum-up my skill and level as... umm.. whats the term .. yeah... utter-crap

As mentioned, I have 3 blades, lying around, for quite some time now - VKMO, TSP Trinity Carbon, and Stiga Allround Carbon ..Furthermore, I also have a couple LPs lying around - D.tecs (ox), DG (OX), and FLIII (1mm)..I'm confused bout which LP to pair with what blade..

Furthermore, I also want some suggestions for light-weight, hard'ish inverted rubbers, to pair with the blades, especially the TSP Trinity Carbon.. The blade itself is quite unlike most other balsa-core blades, and is light-weight.. I don't want to pair it with the wrong inverted, and make it head-heavy or imbalanced.

Your support & suggestions in my time of difficulty, and self-struggle is most welcome.. :P

Post subject: Re: EJ Quandry
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2021, 11:20 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Hah hah, I like your style :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lightweight 'hardish' rubbers are going to be hard to find, because a harder sponge is what tends to make the rubber heavier.
What rubbers have you used in the past? A long pimple on 1 side should help reduce the head-heaviness.

The Trinity carbon would be my #1 pick, since I know that works well with LPs. I use it with Dtecs which works really well, but it's a little lively. DG works really well with this blade too and will be easier to use for placement.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2021, 16:56 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Hah hah, I like your style :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I guess, what my game lacks, I try to make-up by flashing new equipment, and fancy words....addictions are just a way to fill-up some void.. curiosity is just one of the gateways to addiction.. :P

haggisv wrote:
ightweight 'hardish' rubbers are going to be hard to find, because a harder sponge is what tends to make the rubber heavier.
What rubbers have you used in the past? A long pimple on 1 side should help reduce the head-heaviness.

Yep .. The primary reason for my switch to LP (around 2.5 years back) was to reduce the overall weight.. So, some seemingly lightweight rubbers I use or have used are..

• Xiom Euro Vega (Currently in use on one of my setups) - I'm on the fence wit this one... good for controlled loops..
  • Friendship Focus III Snipe 42° (Current) - Works decently on my 10mm Hinoki Balsa Carbon blade.. Awesome for flat-hits, and blocks.. Just bout average for loops/topspins .. I feel it lacks sufficient grip to lift backspin. I've noticed slippage
  • Palio AK47 Blue (Current) - Fairly good allround rubber.. decent speed too.. Once again, I find it lacking in ability to lift backspin..
  • Palio AK47 Red (Current) - One of my current favs.. I've paired it with a stiff, hard OFF+ish blade... Awesome at flat-hits, blocks, serves .. It can generate well above-average spin and speed.. Better than the rest, at lifting backspin..
  • Palio HK 1997 Gold - I started using this one, around 2 months back .. It's hard, and semi tacky.. I've paired this with my Defplay.. I think, this is the heaviest rubber, and setup, that I'm currently playing with .. I like this rubber for everything apart from looping, where I find it inconsistent.. also not good at lifting backspin .. One major caveat with this rubber is - when exposed to humidity, I find that it becomes unplayable .. Even while playing, I find that it develops, a thin foggy layer on the surface, pretty much like when you'd breathe on glass... very weird..
  • Mark V - I'll skip the brief, on this one..
  • Various Donic Rubbers - Especially from COPPA series..

My looping/top-spin action is quite big, and I, more often-than-not, tend to contact the bottom part of the ball, no matter what the incoming spin is.. Even before my injury, I felt hardish tacky chinese-style rubbers worked best for me, especially on my BH..

I like the above-mentioned Palios, and have used more than one sheet of almost all variants (Including AK-47 Yellow) .. I feel there are manufacturing inconsistencies, and durability issues..

Anyway, let's for a minute, put aside my personal preferences/prejudices, and talk about what inverted rubbers, in general, work best with Trinity Carbon & LP on one side..bearing in mind that the overall setup should not feel head-heavy or imbalanced.

I'm not hellbent on Ultra Light-weight rubbers. On a scale of 1-10, I could probably tolerate upto a 6, so long as it does not mess with the overall weight distribution.

haggisv wrote:
The Trinity carbon would be my #1 pick, since I know that works well with LPs. I use it with Dtecs which works really well, but it's a little lively. DG works really well with this blade too and will be easier to use for placement.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards DG + Trinity, Stiga + D.Tecs, and VKMO + FLIII (???)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2021, 19:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
That Stiga is faster than I expected after reading reviews,or at least my 86g copy is.
Gustav Erikson used T05/ Dornenglanz on it at one time.
Is the carbon next to the core on the trinity?

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2021, 20:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
dazzler wrote:

The carbon layer is around the core, so it's not that close to the surface, it's more like an inner-carbon blade.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2021, 20:34 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
That Stiga is faster than I expected after reading reviews,or at least my 86g copy is.
Gustav Erikson used T05/ Dornenglanz on it at one time.

The Stiga I'm talking about here, is the Allround Classic.. I'm not sure if Gustav Erikson ever used Allround Classic, but I know for sure, he used Stiga Clipper, with DG ..Clipper is quite a bit faster than Allround. Hence, DG (being slow'ish) would pair well with it.. However, i'm not sure how a slow blade such as Allround Classic would pair with a slow'ish LP like DG..

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2021, 02:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
I meant Stiga allround classic carbon not allround classic! I remember Gustav was using it around 4 or 5 years back which made me decide to get it at the time then he changed to Clipper CR

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2021, 03:37 
Super User

dazzler wrote:
I meant Stiga allround classic carbon not allround classic! I remember Gustav was using it around 4 or 5 years back which made me decide to get it at the time then he changed to Clipper CR

Wasn't aware of this..

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2021, 03:39 
Super User

Any suggestion to my original questions.. especially, on the inverted rubbers ?

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2021, 05:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
Razka Z (maybe in 2.0 rather than max) maybe the ticket. Or even Razka Z hard (which I have not used). But I have not played with those blades.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2021, 16:18 
Super User

vanjr wrote:
Razka Z (maybe in 2.0 rather than max) maybe the ticket. Or even Razka Z hard (which I have not used). But I have not played with those blades.

Thanks .. Yes.. Rakza 7 did cross my mind... I've tried it a couple of times, and it seemed decent enough. However, I'm not sure of the weight .. Tried it on a TBALC, & Xiom Stradivarius - The setup did not seem light.. Ofcourse, I'm aware that the blade may contribute to the overall weight ..

For me, availability of anything other than max, is difficult

I'm also considering Xiom Omega Pro , Rasanter 45/47 ..

What about all those you are (were) using the trinity carbon blade ?

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2021, 16:18 

Blade: Innerforce Layer ALC
FH: Rozena
BH: Tenergy 64 FX
Off topic, and hello forum! I think the condensation forming on the rubber you speak of may be off-gassing of strong manufacturing chemicals.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2021, 17:14 
Super User

wheelbuilder wrote:
Off topic, and hello forum! I think the condensation forming on the rubber you speak of may be off-gassing of strong manufacturing chemicals.

Nope .. I'm pretty sure its the humidity causing it

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 03:00 
Super User

Still looking for suggestions ..

What about rubbers like..

Victas (Some Number)
Nittaku Fastarc S-1 or C-1
Donic Coppa X1 Turbo Platin

I'm okay with a rubber around 45° sponge, and weighing around 40gms when cut.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2021, 15:40 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

ootbs wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:

Nope .. I'm pretty sure its the humidity causing it

Yeah, it's the humidity. And MOST rubbers are prone to it, when humidity gets really bad.

The only "immune" ones are the various 999s. If you can still get them, make up one racket with 999 on it, just for emergencies. Wrap it in a plastic bag, though - after 2-3 years the 999 topsheet will turn into a sticky liquid and will ruin any bats in contact with it, or any racket case you happen to have it in.

Iskandar