OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 07:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 11 May 2022, 00:17 
Hard Justice

So I just play in some flat Converse shoes, and I see people with TT-branded shoes all the time. I'm just curious, is basically any athletic shoe with side support the same for the purposes of playing table tennis?

PostPosted: 14 May 2022, 18:22 

For TT it's essential to have low sole shoes. With too tall shoes, it's harder to do sideways movement as you need to lift your legs more. You also need the right amount of grip depending on the floor.

So while there is no need to buy specific TT shoes, it's usually a safe choice.

My blog

PostPosted: 16 May 2022, 05:22 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei Fextra 7
FH: PALIO AK47 Red
BH: Dr. Neubauer K.O. Pro 1.5
Inexpensive special TT should be more durable for specific table tennis activity (the higher your level the more important it is). Expensive shoes are more comfortable for your foot especially if you have overweight.

Volleyball, badminton, squash are also just fine for TT.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 20:23 

magnuseffect wrote:
For TT it's essential to have low sole shoes. With too tall shoes, it's harder to do sideways movement as you need to lift your legs more. You also need the right amount of grip depending on the floor.

So while there is no need to buy specific TT shoes, it's usually a safe choice.

Sports shoes that grip better than a standard sneaker? Definitely necessary if you're doing any kind of footwork.

What about table tennis shoes? It is not as important, as long as the shoes you choose have adequate grip for movement around the table and support your feet.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2022, 21:29 

Blade: Darker Imperial 2020
FH: Stiga Calibra LT 1.8
BH: Storkraft 1.6 Antispin
Before getting TT shoes, I came very close to seriously twisting my ankle a few times. I was using good runners, but they were heavy (like most) and had too much grip. Since using exclusively TT shoes for the past 5 years, I haven't had a single issue.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2022, 20:51 
Super User

It depends on the way you play TT. If you play TT in the beach club or in a cafe once in a while, then ''Table Tennis Shoes'' are not that important. Assuming here ''important'' is ''necessary''...
Otherwise for a committed TT player, they are %100 ''important''.
For me, getting the best table tennis shoes like Mizuno, Butterfly, Nittaku or Asics is a must. They are specially produced for table tennis playing, to support your movements and your feet, your body. Your legs, feet are your roots and you get power from the ground.
Use the best you can.

Last edited by deva sarjan on 30 Aug 2022, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2022, 17:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Depends on the floor. I quit using my table tennis shoes (I had some fake Butterflies, and those Chinese Tianuosi badminton shoes) because they didn't have that much grip on the ceramic tiles where I play, especially on hot, dry days. What DOES have grip are some nice lightweight hiking shoes I got at the local Bata store, so I wear those.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2022, 14:30 

for me is very important, depends on the cover of the floor.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2022, 14:54 

First it depends how seriously do you play, if you play just casually, probably doesn't make any difference. But if you play a lot, and will do a lot of lateral footwork, TT, badminton, volleyball, squash, even flat indoor soccer shoes will be much better. need shoes with good grip, low profile so it is not easy to twist the ankle, and some side support, as you don't want the front of your foot to be shifting left and right while you shoe is planted on the floor

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2022, 15:02 

deva sarjan wrote:
It depends on the way you play TT. If you play TT in the beach club or in a coffe once in a while, then ''Table Tennis Shoes'' are not that important. Assuming here ''important'' is ''necessary''...
Otherwise for a committed TT player, they are %100 ''important''.
For me, getting the best table tennis shoes like Mizuno, Butterfly, Nittaku or Asics is a must. They are specially produced for table tennis playing, to support your movements and your feet, your body. Your legs, feet are your roots and you get power from the ground.
Use the best you can.

Can't agree more. A Chinese coach once told me, when you do a loopdrive, the power starts from you toes, feet, legs, waist, upper body, arms, hand and wrist. So a firm footing is crucially important

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2022, 19:28 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
Yes, in my experience they are important - but they don't have to be dedicated "table tennis shoes".

To a degree it will depend on your ability, style and the floor you play on. From a personal point of view, I coach and used to play local league table tennis and have switched between badminton/squash/table tennis/handball/indoor training shoes during my time. Hi-Tec, Asics, Prince, Stiga (Wasp), Butterfly shoes are ones I've tried. Typically dedicated table tennis shoes will be a little "flatter" because of the lateral movement in table tennis. My current ones are Asic Gel Extent and I've had them for a few years and they are still fine. My favourties were Asics Gel Hunter 2's. I've moved more to zero drop shoes in general over the passed few years so my next shoes which I've already got and will use when my current ones wear out are Butterfly Lezoline Zero shoes which are more in keeping with my move to zero drop shoes. Whilst I've got butterfly, they come with a caveat - I've seen quite a few pairs of Buttefly shoes rip and wear badly very quickly. They might look smart but I'm not convinced about the reputation that Butterfly have for quality when it comes to their shoes. The only pair of shoes I've had to stop wearing were the Stiga Wasp shoes which gave me problems in my achilles and felt very hard underfoot - that was about 7 plus years ago that I had these and my feet are stronger now.

Out of interest, I did contact Asics Corporate Executives individually to offer some ideas about how they could market their shoes better towards the table tennis community which would have also tied in with their "consumers and communities" approach. They make very good "table tennis" shoes but don't market them as table tennis shoes. In fact, if you check their websites they tend to list shoes as "running" "trail running" "tennis" and "other sports" and table tennis doesn't even make it in to the list under "other sports". Considering their development plans involved moving in to the Chinese market and table tennis is huge there, it seemed crazy, especially as lots of table tennis players already use their shoes so it would have been a simple change in marketing strategy to open up a huge potential world wide market. I never even got the courtesy of an acknowledgment. Shame. Unfortunately just another example of the "perceived" image of table tennis as a niche, parlour game "sport". But that's another topic for another day.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2022, 00:45 

Because I have a wide foot. Most TT shoes don't fit well for me. Xiom had one that was wide, but too wide, and also fell apart too soon. Since then, I just stick with Mizuno, they have a Waver Kaiserburg series which is slightly wider and fits me well. Don't see any reason to try anything else. Price is decent. Cheaper than my other sneakers from Adidas and Nike.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2022, 22:51 

Blade: fox tt arctic
FH: Hurricane 3
BH: Yasaka Mark V
Tennis shoes with lateral support, outriggers, toe protectors, and flat, thick outsoles are vital pieces of equipment for players. These distinct features assure durability, comfort, and support, as well as injury avoidance. If the shoes are light, they will provide you with good grip and a thin sole, reducing the likelihood of you rolling your ankle as you move side to side. So the shoe are very important not for the table tennis also for the legs.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2022, 17:04 

I find tennis shoes soles to be too stiff, no flex at all, at least the ones I used to wear back in the day. For TT, for me anyway, I need the soles to flex a bit. But different people have different style of footwork. What is the same is, usually table tennis shoes are cheaper than tennis shoes, so if you are going out to get a pair of shoes just for table tennis purpose, might as well just get table tennis shoes, they don't get much cheaper