OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: My anti journey
PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 16:27 

Blade: SDC Viscaria
FH: Rakza Z EH max
BH: ABS 3 Spinlab Pink Sponge
Hi guys,

I started playing table tennis again 2 years ago after a 25 year hiatus. I was pretty serious as a kid.

I wanted transition to play frictionless anti last summer. I fell in love with the youtube clips of Luca and Andrea. Bought myself a matador texa carbon and a dr.neubauers abs 2 evo. But ... couldn´t get into it at all. So i put the blade in the closet and played out my first regular season with 2 inverted rubbers.

I probably played the best season i will ever play. I played a 75 % win rate across 70 matches and gained about 500 elo points. My goal was to play lowest national rank in belgium in 3 season and i´m well on my way. I bumped from D6 to C4 (belgian ranking system). I´m still not there. But i had a good start.

But my heart still tells me to try the anti style. Almost noone does it over here. As soon as season ended i try the abs 2 pro and have been training 2 times a week with it.

It´s a difficult transition and i am looking for tips and tricks.

The main issue for me right now is creating danger with it. It is a great tool to do some crazy blocks and get revearsal ( still working on it) but it´s hard for me to put pressure on my opponent with Bh. (With inverted it feels much easier to do that).

I try to get my opponents in a bad position and attack the next ball with fh. A very good strategy but easy to counter.

How do you guys put pressure on your opponents with the anti? Feels like my agressive pushes are not deep enough or fast enough. I sometimes try to twiddle do heavy backspin pushes or attack the ball. But that´s difficult and a lot to process :).

Another problem: wrong reflexes. When they hit a fast topspin to bh and reflexes kick in i always have wrong blade angle. Also a lot of pushes pop up because to open angel.

Any tips and tricks?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: My anti journey
PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 17:30 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Blade: Matador
FH: Tibhar K1 Euro
BH: SuperGlanti
Keep practicing the basic strokes and it will come to you!
When doing agressive pushing against back spin, also do them slow and short, that can cause lots of problems. Go with very agressive push to trick opponnet, like when you do a BH serve. And also do a quick lift with very short contact time.

Practice blocking so you do not use any movement of the bat at all, keep it still at ball contact, beside a small movement towards or from the ball if you need to change the length of the block.

Pracice placement in depth a lot. You must be able to place the ball short or long and when you want. This is important to keep your opponent on his/her toes all the time.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 18:18 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Another thing, block the ball early and learn to keep the block low. It is not always the best to block the ball as close to the bounce as possible, sometimes you can wait for the ball to be in net height or slightly above and then block the ball slightly downwards, this way you can make the block very low on opponent's side.

If you do not get any spin from your opponent to work with, twiddle and push with inverted, or just keep working with taking the ball early and move opponent around the table, sooner or later there will be spin on the ball :).

Your own serving is very important. Try ordinary FH pendulun serve with lots of side spin and go agressive on the return with your anti, aiming at opponents cross over point. Vary long and short, hard and loose attacks. Then do the same with a BH serve with lots of side spin. This will confuse opponent since most people forget that side spin stays in the ball even better than top spin/back spin.

PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 18:27 

Thanks for the tips.

I have a good sidespin pendulum so i will try that.

I try the close to the bounce blocking.

I almost always do the agrresive push thing. Coz balls easily pop up when regular pushes. It´s like i´m bh serving the whole time :)

When i try keeping pushes short, they are usually to short :)

PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 20:11 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

Here you may find some tips on blocking: https://youtu.be/MHHcggrxoeM

PostPosted: 20 May 2022, 21:53 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
When using the anti, be sure to hit the ball as soon as possible off the bounce. You will want to ensure that you are getting solid contact as well. Your wrist should be steady, very little "sliding" of the anti against the ball. Just work on different blade angles and find out what works for the best consistency. Always better to aim a little higher to ensure you get it over the net.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 22 May 2022, 11:08 

Blade: Darker Imperial 2020
FH: Stiga Calibra LT 1.8
BH: Storkraft 1.6 Antispin
dwruck wrote:
When using the anti, be sure to hit the ball as soon as possible off the bounce. You will want to ensure that you are getting solid contact as well. Your wrist should be steady, very little "sliding" of the anti against the ball. Just work on different blade angles and find out what works for the best consistency. Always better to aim a little higher to ensure you get it over the net.

Great suggestions! At a tournament this weekend, I had someone give me one more piece of advice after watching me play. I have been trying to take all serves right after the bounce, but he suggested I wait just a split second. When I did this, it helped immensely to have a more controlled return and be able to properly place it wherever I wanted. The one exception to this (for me) would be if I want to quickly drop it really short and try to catch the opponent a little flatfooted. Then I think it would be best to get it immediately off of the bounce. Is this true? That one tip I received about the brief delay is going to really have a positive impact on my serve returns.

PostPosted: 22 May 2022, 12:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

RUSSIAN kNOWHOW FOR FREE.

I would gladly suggest you should try this style of forceful agressive pushing . LP and Anti rubbers either will do to effect those strokes.. Few people ever heared of this wonderful style. "Sideway hand motion" is a knowhow by a Russian female-trainer, and you can greatly benefit by this for free. ;-O :)

Be happy.

PostPosted: 22 May 2022, 21:17 
Iron Pips
Iron Pips

igorponger wrote:
RUSSIAN kNOWHOW FOR FREE.

I would gladly suggest you should try this style of forceful agressive pushing . LP and Anti rubbers either will do to effect those strokes.. Few people ever heared of this wonderful style. "Sideway hand motion" is a knowhow by a Russian female-trainer, and you can greatly benefit by this for free. ;-O :)

Be happy.
This is a sort of sidesweep but in the other direction. Carlos Muhlbach and Amelie Solja do this sometimes but not in this extreme way - very knteresting! Thanks Igor!

PostPosted: 23 May 2022, 14:55 

What kind of monster did they create :)

PostPosted: 24 May 2022, 21:42 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
PushSmasher, you are correct, if you want to drop it short you definitely need to catch it as quickly as possible. I can see the benefit of a split second delay on some shots to get better control. How I like to look at it is, if I can get a good read of the spin and am in position, take it quickly. If not, as you were told, give just a slight amount of time to get into proper position and hit a more conservative ball.

Igor, thanks for the video, that was pretty fun to watch! I wonder what kind of rubber the kid was using. I wouldn't think that style would work well with the frictionless anti, but with long pips or traditional anti it could be devastating.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 29 May 2022, 04:40 

I´ve also been trying an Diabolic ES on my viscaria blade and for me it´s much easier to control.

Agressive pushes are better and blocking is a blast.

You guys know why?

Also the topsheet of the diabolic does not seem so durable as the abs ones. You guys have experience with it?

Cheers
Pieter

PostPosted: 29 May 2022, 18:19 
Super User

Blade: Nblades 1 ply hinoki
FH: Rallys Redmonkey
BH: Slick antispin
Unfortunately the older glanti from DMS aren't very durable.

BH - Slick antispin

PostPosted: 30 May 2022, 13:08 

You guys think it´s because of the blade it´s easier to control? I´m playing texa carbon with the ABS. I´m also having difficulty´s with FH loops.

Or is it just me being inexpierenced and the diabolic being easier to play with?

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2022, 22:54 

Ok guys, i did some more training and have having good results with ABS 2 pro. It took me a while to get into it and is more difficult to use then the diabolic es, but blocks are more dangerous and it gives me more effective ways to set up my own offense. I´m also more used to the low throw of the texa carbonblade in my FH. So my shots are better with it.

Yesterday i played against a national player for my club and even took some set wins. So that´s a good start after 3 weeks of training.

I´ve been doing some twiddling drills and the mechanics are coming along more or less. The major difficulty with twiddling seems shot selection and making sure I don´t end playing a FH loop with my anti.
How do you guys work on this?

Also need to work on not overplaying with my anti and staying in the attacking mind set.

All tips are welcome