OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2022, 19:51 

Blade: Yasaka Sweden
FH: NI
BH: NI
Hello all,

I need help finding a setup for my dad. I do not understand anything about TT thus came here.

Here is what I googled and found but I need someone who has experience have a say.

His current bat is GKI Euro Jumbo which he liked.

His new bet requirement is: He dont mind slow games but not super slow. He plays defensive and loves to spin. He also praised someones bat with pimple.

I researched and came with this bat - Yasaka Sweden Extra
I need help with what rubbers to buy for each side and their width. I heard Victas Ventus Extra is good for spin but please advice setup.

I will be buying from TT11/UK.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2022, 09:47 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

By "defensive" do you mean he chops? From far behind the table, or does he push? Or does he just block balls back? Or lob?

Consider Chinese rubber. Something like Yinhe Mercury II or Yinhe 9000. Of if you want something a little slower, LKT Super XT. You'll save a LOT of money.

By the way, you should have posted this under "Equipment (All)" - this is the penhold section. (Moderators might move it there.)

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2022, 20:08 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
The main question is whether your father wants to use pimples on one side. You can certainly play as a defensive player with two inverted rubbers, but it's a rare style these days. However, to do so one would like an allround or maybe slightly slower than allround blade, and control-oriented, spinny rubbers.

Something like the Yasaka Sweden Defensive would be a good blade. For rubbers, I would opt for something not too thick, and not too expensive. Juic Spin Spiel is very good, and can be had in 1.5mm, Spinlord Marder would be another option - spinny, controlled, thin-ish, and and inexpensive. 1.5-1.8 thickness, would be my recommendation.

Then it's just down to whether to get two of them of one of them. For that you would need to know whether your father wants pimples, If he does, we could offer some advice on that, but if he doesn't, then 2 x inverted, thinish, spinny, not too fast rubbers on an allround or even slightly slower blade would be perfect.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2022, 14:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suppose that's one problem with Chinese rubbers - few are available with thin sponge. The only one that comes immediately to mind is LKT Super XT "Green Dragon" - the sponge comes down to 1.5mm.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2022, 11:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Most of the 729 range comes in a range of sponge thicknesses. The old 729 FX comes in a thickness as low as 1.0mm.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2022, 10:18 
Super User

Palio CJ8000 also comes in 1.5mm sponge thickness. I use 36-38 degrees sponge in max thickness (slightly tacky Chinese topsheet with soft Japanese sponge). Pairs well with OX pips on my BH. A quality rubber that performs very well. Very cheap too! :up:

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 03:55 
Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
TTbuddy wrote:
Palio CJ8000 also comes in 1.5mm sponge thickness. I use 36-38 degrees sponge in max thickness (slightly tacky Chinese topsheet with soft Japanese sponge). Pairs well with OX pips on my BH. A quality rubber that performs very well. Very cheap too! :up:

Very good advice :clap: but is it still on the LARC? Also been told durability is an issue, isn't it?

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 11:13 
Super User

Good point Char Def. I haven't really checked whether it is still on the authorised LARC list. :o Regards durability, still early days for me as haven't been using it for long. Hopefully it will last me a while given my casual approach to playing once a week only. Nevertheless, I find it a good do-it-all rubber ;)

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2022, 18:34 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Since the original poster mentioned a desire to buy from TT11, I didn't steer them towards rubbers I knew they couldn't get from TT11. However on looking back I see they also said "or UK".

In which case, Custom Tabletennis can be recommended, and will have a range of things. The owner is also an experienced player and gives good advice and customer service.

https://www.customtabletennis.co.uk/pro ... is-rubber/

This would do all you need, for instance. Available in thin versions.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2022, 18:31 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I just checked. CJ8000 is most definitely still listed in the LARC. Problem is there have been, over the years, many, many variations of CJ8000, the one you remember playing with might not be sold any more.. :lol: From what I recall, most variants did not have thin sponge options.

https://equipment.ittf.com/#/equipment_ ... rings/2641

Interesting changes to the LARC web pages... go have a look. They now show sponge colors - barring some change to the rules that I haven't heard about, I didn't think sponge colors were regulated in any way, other than not changing the color of the red topsheet to the point where it doesn't meet specs when used under it.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2022, 19:59 
Super User

CJ8000 with 36-38 degree soft sponge is available in 1.5mm thickness.