OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Review: XIOM Yanus DF
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 01:45 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
The XIOM Yanus DF is a oxymoron: an offensive defensive rubber.

Here's the marketing spiel from xiomtt.com:

YANUS DF

DOUBLE-FACED HYBRID RUBBER POWERED BY TENSOR.

A very special pimples-in rubber developed for modern hybrid/defensive players. TENSOR technology also created new paradigm for hybrid rubbers. Modern hybrid players should effectively combine cut defense and topspin attack. YANUS DF has extremely soft top sheet and sponge to provide extra control advantage. Stability and precision at cut defense are improved far over classic sticky defensive rubbers. On the contrary, the very high level of speed glue effect has been permanently incorporated in YANUS DF to make aggressive topspin attacks. YANUS DF can add the advantage of unexpected topspin attack without a help of speed glue to leverage your defensive game.

The real expert on this rubber is our forum member Greggy, who uses the 2.0 version, but here are some thoughts on the 1.5 version I used for about six months.

I've tried a lot of defensive inverted rubbers, but this one is in a category all its own. For a co-called defensive rubber it's extremely fast. Not sure about the specs, but it is very soft and grippy, providing good spin and control.

Like Greggy, I used it on a Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus blade, which due to the catapult makes the Yanus DF play faster than it would be on a normal defensive blade.

SERVING/SHORT GAME: Able to produce semi-spinny serves and pushing wasn't a problem, but this rubber is best when you're not over the table.

BLOCKING/COUNTERING: Easy to block back with precision or drive it hard. Very nice.

LOOPING: This is where I love this rubber. On the Firewall Plus it loops like a dream.

CHOPPING: Normally chopping rubbers are thin and slow. For me this lively rubber was not suited for chopping as I didn't think there was good control nor a lot of spin. (I generally don't go back further than about six feet so maybe things are different for long distance choppers.)

OVERALL IMPRESSION: A high quality all-around control rubber with some punch. I had it paired with the Phoenix 2.0 long pips which allowed me to keep the ball in play until I got one back I could rip with the Yanus. If you're a control player who wants to add an extra speed component to your game, the XIOM Yanus DF is a great way to do it.

Just don't try to chop.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 03:39 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

speedplay wrote:
How's the durability of it? Seeing how you have used it for 6 months, I'm wondering if it is still the original sheet or if you have replaced it?

I have it on two blades and I switched between them. I got the second one about three months after the first one. The original is showing signs of wear and tear, but still plays close enough to the newer one that I haven't seen a need to replace it yet. From what I understand, all XIOM products are very high quality. This certainly is.

These days I've pretty much switched to Tenergy though, so the original Yanus will probably last a loooooonnnng time. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 07:15 
Super Looper
Super Looper

Wery nice review. :thumleft:
Xiom rubbers are of realy great quality hopefuly it wil stay like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 08:12 
Pop and Swirl
Pop and Swirl

Hi MNNB, I get the impression that the Yanus DF is somewhat in the same category of rubbers Mathias was experimenting with (I think he's settled with F3 BigSlam)

Do you have comments on the differences of Yanus DF and Desto F3 BigSlam?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 10:22 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
A couple of choppers in my club are using this rubber. They chop over and at a distance of the table.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 10:41 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Yuzuki wrote:
Hi MNNB, I get the impression that the Yanus DF is somewhat in the same category of rubbers Mathias was experimenting with (I think he's settled with F3 BigSlam)

Yes, they are similar and I have played both. I think the Yanus is a little softer and clearly loops better on a Firewall Plus. It's also more springy and feels faster. If this is the slowest XIOM inverted rubber, I can't imagine the fast ones would be like.

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2008, 11:56 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
mynamenotbob wrote:
Yuzuki wrote:

Yes, they are similar and I have played both. I think the Yanus is a little softer and clearly loops better on a Firewall Plus. It's also more springy and feels faster. If this is the slowest XIOM inverted rubber, I can't imagine the fast ones would be like.

Yeah, I can't wait to find out! Omega II here I come lol. :twisted:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Dec 2008, 06:59 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

As someone you normally uses pips/anti/thin inverted on my backhand, this would be too fast for my taste. Don't mind fast on my forehand, but I like something to slow the game down on my other wing.

As a former Couga user, it might not seem so fast to you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

| My OOAK Interview

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 11:10 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Just an addendum to my above review. The Yanus DF is very much faster on a balsa blade with catapult effect, such as the Firewall Plus. I tried the Yanus DF 2.0 on a fast five-ply Butterfly VSG1000, and while still fast, it did not have the explosion off the bat at impact that it had off of the balsa blade.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 16:37 
Chop, Rock, & Roll

I thought it's good to add a supplement to this review as I've already tried Yanus on 2mm last training session on my Darker 7P-2A.DF. My initial impression is really good, but we all know how this goes for an EJ, don't we?

I didn't use a tensor before this one, and I need to say this is close to glue effect and it even clicks like there's no tomorrow. The soft topsheet paired with the really soft tensor sponge does wonderfully well in all situations and I need to point out that, lead by MNNB's review I was expecting a much faster and harder to control rubber. I had time to try it chopping away from the table and it gave me heaps of control, more than I could get with Gewo MegaFlex Control, Globe 999 on GP3/AVX-A or Palio CJ8000 on GP3/DW Cannon. Specifying a bit more, I got an accurate depth control that was still there even near the table when pushing (soft brush = spinny ball near the table, contact = long push with more spin). In terms of spin, it's not near globe when pushing near the table, but it's got more on it than CJ8000, both on chops and loops.

Control wise, I said something about depth control and it's there on loops too, soft brush and I got an high arc spiny topspin, close the angle a little and I've got the needed speed. It's like if I was driving a two geared car and got into a Ferrari in terms of speed and spin control.

Regarding away from the table chops, it's as Greggy says, later later softer softer, this rubber tames the wildest tops with a soft touch and the ball goes gently to the other side, but I've found it also works well with aggressive chopping at different bat angles.

I'm going to use this for the summer training sessions and test the durability, if this can last the rythm to the beginning of the season then I got a winner for my inverted side, at 22€ per sheet it isn't so expensive.

More to come!

PD: Tat, I finally glued your Long A to a 0,7 sponge with regular glue so it won't come off as easily :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009, 20:53 
Chop, Rock, & Roll

Ok, durability on this one is HORRIBLE, only five training sessions (two hours each one) and the rubber got a slice near the handle, not even near the sides of the blade where I usually hit the table... it's under my finger! I heard from 3G tensors being fragile, but this surpass me no limits, and I don't punish my rubbers so hard to have this.

The feeling is exceptional but my wallet isn't so full of cash, I can't afford buying a sheet of rubber each month!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 00:12 
For your Long A's Only
For your Long A's Only

Blade: BBC Doubl Diamond
FH: Prasidha Tokyo Max
BH: RITC 755 OX
NiTTaKu wrote:

PD: Tat, I finally glued your Long A to a 0,7 sponge with regular glue so it won't come off as easily :lol:

You are so patient, may be that's why you are a defender. How many months you had with this rubber of mine ? However, this good thing will last longer than any of your long pip rubbers, I had mine for almost 1.5 years now, with the way I hit the balls, there is absolutely no pimple lost so far, simply amazing. So, NiTTaKu, you are set for life on your backhand, great for your pocket.

NiTTaKu wrote:
Ok, durability on this one is HORRIBLE, only five training sessions (two hours each one) and the rubber got a slice near the handle, not even near the sides of the blade where I usually hit the table... it's under my finger! I heard from 3G tensors being fragile, but this surpass me no limits, and I don't punish my rubbers so hard to have this.

As always, sometimes, good things never last long, yesterday, my Outlaw also suffered a small chip for no reason at all while playing, but I had a 8 straight days of play out of this rubber, around 24 hours, not too bad, but still too soon.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 00:39 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

NiTTaKu wrote:

The feeling is exceptional but my wallet isn't so full of cash, I can't afford buying a sheet of rubber each month!

I wonder if you just got a bad one? I never experienced any problems like this.

| My OOAK Interview

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 08:18 
Super User

I have been using Yanus Df for nearly 3 years as my only forehand rubber and I still love it.

I have found it is very durable and only get chunks out of it if I hit the table ( which I do ).

It is still fast and spiny even after 6 months of 4 days a week hard use, it is expensive I do admit that but I still think it is worth it.

As somebody said later later softer softer and you can return most super loops, because it does have a high catapult effect you must be soft while chopping, but for looping and counter hitting it is like a super fast power rubber.

I did try try the 1.5mm version I thought it played very different to the 2mm version, not as spiny strangely enough not as spiny, feels like a different rubber, just get a 2mm and learn to work it.

I have tried F3 big slam, nice rubber I think I did a review at some point, nice kick of table, high ache with loops, good spin and control but not good at chopping or blocking OK at counter hitting. If you are a mid distance looper who comes in to the table for a big spiny loop/hit then it is great, not a defenders rubber IMHO. My son ( who is a looper ) uses F3 BS 2.0mm on Avalox Ma Wenge, excellent combo.

Gregg

Gregg

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009, 16:06 
Chop, Rock, & Roll

Then I just got a bad batch or something, because that crack just on top of the handle is not something you see all days on a rubber. I'll pray so it just don't fall apart from that crack...