OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Dr. Evil
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 04:52 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
:twisted: Tried Dr Evil today. :twisted:
I have it on a Galexy MC-1 That has been sealed lightly with one thin coat of Poly.
I will review the bat later.
About 35 years ago, I used to play with an anti that was REAL SLOW. I have tried most of the ones out there now and nothing comes close. Dr Evils speed is very close to that old anti. I would give it a speed of one or two.
The control is fantastic. By just holding the bat with no stroke, I could drop a hard loop so short that is would stay on the table or roll back to the net. It would send back chop if a loop was blocked short right off the bounce.
If I punch blocked, it would send back no spin or very light top.
If I chop blocked, it would send back quite a bit of chop.
Chopping away from the table was Soooo easy and I could again vary the spin.
If I chopped hard with lots of wrist, well, my partners first try to loop them went "under" the table!!!
I could also do a kind of punch chop, chop stroke with no wrist and going into the ball some as well as down, that would send very little chop or even a little top back.
I tried looping with it and it didn't work at all. What did work was a flat hit. They would go back straight as an arrow and fast. I was surprized how fast you could hit one with that slow rubber. For the most part, you could ignore spin when flat hitting. It just had to be high enough to have a straight line to the other side of the table.
Pushing is turned into a kids game. I never popped one up like I do sometimes with LP.
Didn't have time to try serve return yet.
Now I have to do some more playing with it to decide weather to use LP or Dr Evil in the tournament coming up. They both have their strong points but I think I may be switching to the Evil One.
I did try making REAL strong "Looking" chop serves and they were just no spin similar to what my LP does.
All in all, this is one cool rubber!!!! :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 08:43 

Hi Speedplay,
Why would it be banned? It has more grip than my LP. If you throw the ball at the bat at an angle and let it come down on the bat, it jumps with spin when it hits. My LP wont make any spin doing that. Also, if you block a real spinny loop with Evil, it sends back less chop than the Screw Soft. That says the Screw is more slippery than the Evil.
It is the slowest rubber I have tried. Hard to picture one slower.
Yep, I could vary the spin pretty easy blocking or chopping away from the table. My partner is good at the slow game but with this stuff, I could push all day. He would outpush me when I used LP. With Evil, I could keep it so low to the net, he could not flip.
The blade I have it on, Galexy MC-1 is a fairly fast blade but not as fast as I like. My next move is to put it on the W1. The W1 I have has been triple sealed with poly and is noticably faster than the MC-1. Don't know how the two bats would compare if they had both been sealed the same. ( I am judging the speed from the Energy on the primary side )
Both bats are Really nice. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 10:50 

I checked the hardbat approved rubbers and they said only one was likely to be banned from hardbat, 955? , not sure now, but that would be from being TOO spinny. Dr Evil is on the approved list. Would like to know before I spend too much time with Dr Evil or buy more. I like it!! :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 12:19 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Just watching, or rather reading about, Hookshot get off on this new experience is cool. I would not use this kind of rubber, but it is nice to see members enjoy this one. We always could use a new experience to mix up our lives.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 13:16 

One of the big advantages of Seemiller grip is I retain the Energy on back and forhand but with the ability to mix in another rubber anytime. The bigger the difference between the two rubbers, the more effective it is. Dr Evil is sure in contrast to Energy. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 13:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Nice review hookshot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 14:19 

Thanks Haggisv,
I thought about doing a review on the MC-1 and the Wood King but I have no way to weigh them. I will say they are both light compared to my Willpower. The MC-1 is slower than the W-1 but the W-1 has been sealed with 3 coats of poly. It is as fast or faster than my Willpower. It will probably become my new main weapon. The handle has a bigger flare than the Willpower and I like it for twiddling.
Haggisv, is there a way to find out what will be banned or likely to be? I looked on the ITTF site and they only list rubbers. Do you think they would answer a request for info? I have never delt with them. I really hate to spend time with something that might be outlawed. That is the reason I went to Energy, don't need glue. Might as well start now. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 16:35 

Hi Hookshot !
Very inspirering review of Dr Evil. I also have a sheet in OX, but I only tried it ones. Thought it was too slow for my style, but it might deserve a second chance if Haggis could get it with a 1,0 mm or 1,5 mm sponge.

Flemming

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 17:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

speedplay wrote:
I'm not the expert when it comes to judging what will be banned and what will survive, so I might be wrong. I just have some distant memory that I read some where that the Dr Evil would get banned. Might be me who is getting old and mixing it up with another rubber...

Tom from Zeropong posted on About.com and said the ony 729 rubbers that would be banned are 755 Faster and 799-1 (a short pip). Dr. Evil is fine.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 17:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

hookshot wrote:
Thanks Haggisv,
I thought about doing a review on the MC-1 and the Wood King but I have no way to weigh them. I will say they are both light compared to my Willpower. The MC-1 is slower than the W-1 but the W-1 has been sealed with 3 coats of poly. It is as fast or faster than my Willpower. It will probably become my new main weapon. The handle has a bigger flare than the Willpower and I like it for twiddling.
Haggisv, is there a way to find out what will be banned or likely to be? I looked on the ITTF site and they only list rubbers. Do you think they would answer a request for info? I have never delt with them. I really hate to spend time with something that might be outlawed. That is the reason I went to Energy, don't need glue. Might as well start now. :D

I've got some MC-1 blades...They seem to weight around 85g. The feel is quite hard, but you're right they're not that fast, prob OFF to lower end of OFF+.

Regarding the pips, all the manufacturers have been notified and told which of theirs did not pass the test. Not sure if the results are final or not. I don't think there is a list out there as yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 18:10 

Thanks agooding,,,
Now I will buy a couple more!!!
I had both bats out tonight and hand pulled the ball across the rubber. On the Screw Soft, it had more drag than the Evil especially when pushing harder. You could feel the pips bend even with light pressure and pop back up. The evil, with light pressure had little drag and a smoother feel.
It is strange the Screw will reverse spin more when blocking a loop, (send back chop) but the Evil puts more chop on the ball when chopping hard away from the table. Strange rubbers!!!!
Can't wait to hit with them again. Don't know about my partner though,, he he, Got his mind going good, trying to keep track of everything. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2007, 21:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

As Haggisv said, the manufacturers were notified and Zeropong (the U.S. distributor) shared the results for the 729 rubbers. Dr. Evil isn't banned.

-- Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 08:56 

Had another hit with Dr Evil today! I moved it onto the W-1. This might be my new blade. It is fast with lots of control.
Yesterday, I tried alot of different things and one was flat hitting. Most tended to go in the net. Today I had my partner feed me till I got it right. Man, it fires bullets. Found I had to use it like a flyswatter, with a flat blade. Yesterday I kept trying to close the blade some and go over the ball some. Flat blade, ignore the spin within reason and kill it. Leaves a contrail. LOL
A couple years ago, I played a 1980 rated hardbat player. I got 3 of 7 games. That was my shakehand year. I think I would get him with Seemiller and LP or Evil. He is a classic away from the table chopper. At first, I tried to loop him to death. Can't do it. He gets to everything. Then I started dropping some to draw him in and killing the next one. With shakehands, I had 999 on both sides and could not drop a ball short enough that it would not go off the end after the bounce. He could get in to get it on the table but that is when i started to win.
With Evil, I can drop REAL short where it would double bounce. Hope I can get to play him again.
He also had a flat hit that I could not believe how fast it was. Even if I got the bat on it, it was hard to get back because of no spin on it. Now I understand how he did it. As slow as the Evil is, when you flat hit with it, it is GONE!!!! It goes as straight as an arrow so the only requirement is a straight line to the other side of the table. My partner is still trying to take it all in.
Just a quick note about the W-1, it is faster than the Willpower but with more touch on the slow stuff.
:D :D :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 09:25 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes flat hits are very effective, but the margin for error is much higher...so what do you do if your hardbat friend keep putting it deep and low? You'd either chop it, or hit it slower to make it drop, as a fast flat hit would be a low % shot, wouldn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2007, 14:02 

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Hookshot, I played a Chinese gent your age who used Dr Evil on FH when I was on the east coast. That guy just pulverized anything I pushed high with the SPs. I had to move him around unexpected like to get any opportunity to attack, which was precious little. That old man could cover most of the table with evil, which put me into management mode, instead of search and destroy mode.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!