OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 15:01 

Well, I was a fan of Killerspin's Nitrz 5Z after trying many others, until I got Tenergy 64 and ditched the Nitrx 5Z. I've since installed Tenergy 64 on one blade, Tenergy 05 on another and was quite happy.

Then Killerspin made their new Fortissimo available. I just happened to remember that Tenergy was the only rubber that worked well enough for me to draw me away from Nitrx 5Z, so I figured I might as well see if the new Fortissimo would compare.

The Fortissimo comes in a heavy sealed plastic. When I opened the plastic the sheet almost rolled itself into a roll on its own. I had to carefully flatten it out to install on the blade, and use a wood press to keep it flat until the glue dried. I don't know why it did that or what it means.

I installed the new sheet on a Yasaka Yagyu III blade that was sitting around, due to having been replaced by a couple of Joola's MC1 Jpen blades in my bag: The MC1 is much faster and just as controllable. So outfitted with the Yagyu III and fresh 2.0 mm Fortissimo, I spent 4 hours playing tonight.

The Yagyu III is going back in my bag. The Fortissimo saved the Yagyu III from that bottom drawer in the garage cabinet. It's now fast, its controllable, and its even good for spinny serves.

The sound REALLY does remind you of "glued" rubber. It has a higher throw than Tenergy 64, more (or I would say "just like") Tenergy 05. Its spinnier than T64 when serving but its not tacky. It shines on aggressive drives and blocks (like T64) from a couple of feet from the table. Chops were not good (but I suck at chops anyway). Pushes required my total concentration or they'd go high.

Weight: I didn't weigh it, but my blade feels noticeably heavier than it did with the Nitrx 5Z, I'd say its closer in weight feel to T64 than T05 though. Durability: I have no clue, I'll know in a month.

Killerspin is not very popular, and not many outlets carry their line. I was done with their rubber after finding Tenergy, but I'm glad to say I will be using it again because of their new Fortissimo. It won't replace my Tenergy 64 and 05, but it will share playing time with them.

Keep in mind that I'm a Jpen player (single sided), my game is all attack loops and drives and I play a little off from the table. If your game differs, your results may also be different.

Hope somebody benefits from this small review on a seldom seen rubber :)

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 15:21 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

Excellent Thorpapa, and welcome aboard :lol:

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 17:44 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thanks for the review thorpapa!

Sounds like it's heavily factory tuned to me... It will be interesting to hear how long the effect lasts...

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 22:21 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Welcome to the forum! Please keep us updated on how it goes with this rubber over time, whether or not the performance lasts or dies out quickly.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 03 May 2009, 23:02 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Very nice "boutique" review the Thorpapa and welcome along to the forum. I also look forward to your further impressions of the rubber. Is it expensive like Tenergy, or is it in the range of most other SGE rubbers. My perception of Killerspin stuff is its on the expensive side, but I my be wrong.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 04 May 2009, 06:18 

Well, I must admit that the Fortissimo did cost $50 with shipping included (ok, $49.90, but I call that same as $50 :lol: )

That does put it in the same price range (very close anyway) as Tenergy. Is it worth it to pursue when Tenergy is already available for the same price? Maybe, if only to have an alternative, or just to see if there's something just a bit different that works in your favor (for me it was the "something different that works the same" route)

I'm kind of an "Underdog" person in some ways, and if I see something different than what everyone uses, I have a tedency to try it just to see. Yes, its one of my many character defects :D

I will keep track of its performance for the next month (playing about 8-10 hours a week) and report on any changes.

PostPosted: 07 May 2009, 11:40 
HE-LP on land or sea

Killerspin is an underrated company. They make a lot of great products. The Kido is one of the most interesting blades I've ever played with. I hope that its adopted by the mytt set so that they can do more R&D.

Yasaka YEO
FH : Nittaku H3 Neo
BH : VEGA PRO MAX
Go Chicago White Sox!

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 03:47 

After 5 days of playing with Fortissimo at aprox 4 hours each day:

No change in the feel of the rubber. It still feels much like T05, even if it doesn't physically look like it. I'm slightly more partial to T64 and the more I play with Fortissimo, the less I think it feels like T64 and more like T05.

After play I always just wipe down rubber with water and dry. I can see no wear or "hit spot" (same as the Tenergy for that matter).

I have next week off work,so I'll play several times then. If its going to show any deterioration, it should show it then. I'll post back after.

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 13:20 

Ok, something weird happened tonight: I stated earlier that when I took Fortissimo out of the package it tried to roll up. Well, tonight I hit a bad shot, looked at my blade (I always look at my blade when I hit a bad shot, because I figured it HAD to be the blades fault :lol: ) and the rubber had started to rise from the center, like it was "bubbling up" ; the edges were still sticking to the blade.

Never had THAT happen before. I've had rubber come loose at the edges, but never "bubble up" like a volcano and come loose in the center.

I stopped playing and peeled it off, washed residue off, laid down a layer of glue and put it in the press again. As of a few minutes ago it looks normal, but now I'm wondering what will happen when I play again this weekend.

Maybe this sheet of Fortissimo is haunted or possessed by spirits :twisted:

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 21:39 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Maybe your blade is rejecting it. :wink:

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 22:14 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I'd think its just the glue strength is quite good, so keeping the edges down, but not strong enough to resist the pressure of the rubber wanting to dome. If it does it again, I'd look for a bit stronger glue.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 08 May 2009, 23:54 

dwruck wrote:
Maybe your blade is rejecting it. :wink:

You mean like a cat puking up a hairball or like skin sizzling after coming into contact with Holy objects? :lol:

PostPosted: 09 May 2009, 03:29 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Heh heh heh, exactly. It's telling you "I can't believe you put a Killerspin rubber on me!" :lol:

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 04:07 

Well, over 20 more hours of playing have now been put on the Fortissimo, so its time for an update in case anyone is interested:

I find myself liking it more than I did. I've noticed it to be a little more forgiving than T05 for blocking and pushing, and almost as good as T64 for loopdrives.

I see no wear on it yet. I wash my rubbers with clear water after play, sometimes in the middle of a session, and there's no discernible "hit spot" (discoloration, wear, shiny area or rough area). The sound hasn't changed (its loud). The throw is still a midway thing between T05 and T64. It seems spinier for serving than it did at first, or maybe I'm hitting harder with it.

My final impression is that if T64 was no longer made, I'd be hard pressed to choose between Fortissimo and T05. It WILL NOT replace my T64 at this time, as I do play better with T64, but I'm glad to find something else that works for me and is different than what everyone else uses (except for possibly Biba Golic :lol: )

Hope this helped someone or added to the information base of some of the readers :D

PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 21:53 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Thanks for the update! Not many people use Killerspin rubbers, so it's good to hear about their new products.