OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 08:53 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
yes I noticed that... not sure why... this 2nd page seems ok again...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 10:11 

speedplay wrote:
pongcrazy wrote:
But hey, we know who knows, as we have already been told :thumright:

Ah, finally some recognition! :wink:
I agree with everything said by pongcrazy. As I said, I usually don't wipe it all of, just a quick wipe the first time, then let it sit and clean the rubber properly the day after. Will do magic to your rubber!

Speedplay,
What do you use to properly clean the rubber the day after???

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 12:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Ok, I've done the test, here are the 4 cleaners I used:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 13:10 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I used a seperate cotton cloth to wipe the liquids in. In hindside something less absorbing and lint-free would have been better, but I don't think it will affect the results.

The results are not as conclusive as I had hoped... all seem to work quite well:

Nittuku rubber cleaning foam:
The foam makes it real easy to apply and does not spill easy so less chance of a mess. It gave a good clean, restoring some of it's grippiness but no real tack. It changed the look of the rubber very little.

Orange power:
Since it's a spray it's a little messy, but it smells so good I was tempted to just keep using it :D :lol: :D . It does soak into the cloth and/or evaporate real quick, so I had to spray a few more times so that I could really rub the complete surface before it dried. As with the foam, it gave a good clean, restoring some of it's grippiness but no real tack. It changed the look of the rubber very little. It let some orange stains on the cloth.

WD40:
Since it's a spray it's a little messy. It smells a little toxic, so it may well have some nasties in it. It does soak into the cloth and/or evaporate real quick, so I had to spray a few more times so that I could really rub the complete surface before it dried. As with the foam, it gave a good clean, restoring some of it's grippiness but no real tack. It changed the look of the rubber very little.

Olive oil:
Since I had to pour some drop onto the rubber, it got a little messy too. I spread it around covering it with a very light layer. It seem to absorb quite quite quickyl As it was dry in about half the surface, I wiped it around a little more with the cloth which was still oily to cover it some more. It soaked in after about 10mins. This was seemed slighly better, and actually made the surface look a little better too. It will need some applications to see what more it can do.

So from this I conclude that for easy of use, I recommend the foam as it gives a good clean as any, and is the least messy. The oil gives the best result, and further and more oil may will offer better results again, but it's obviously not as good for a quick clean. For most enjoyable experience, the orange power wins hands down, since it smells so delicious! :lol:

I will treat the whole rubber with a thicker layer of oil again, to see how much more I can do with it... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 14:21 
Do you feel lucky (young) punk?

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Haggisv,,,,
I am on the edge of my seat!!!!!! This is such a great test! Veggy is in the lead!!!
The WD 40 is used for soo many things other than what it is supposed to do, for example, Sturgeon fisherman spray the bait with it!! They use a trout about 10 inches long and even spray it inside. Who would ever guess that it would work for that?
Same with veggy oil I guess.
That orange stuff probably is made from the orange skin squeezings. There are many cleaners made that way. There are acids in there! One is made to remove the glue that holds carpet and tiles to concrete. :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 14:24 

Blade: Juic Hinoki One Ply
FH: Tibhar 5Q
BH: Scandal
Ease of use don't count, we are looking for results!!! :D

Backhand, Sriver FX Max

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 16:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Hah hah... you're not biassed in any way are you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes the Orange power is made from the orange peels. It was LawOCG suggestion, and he uses it for removing glue as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2007, 19:23 
Super User

Haggisv, from your description, all four products seem to clean the rubber and enhance the grippiness (presumably this is simply that dust and dirt is removed).

From what we have read from others, it seems that the vege oil is meant to actually condition the rubber, rather than just clean it. If that is so, might we not expect to see both grip and tack improvements from the olive oil? Did you notice that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 00:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Well after letting it soak into the complete rubber for a day or so, I'm quite happy with the results. It certainly does feel gripper, looks less worn... and possible slightly softer as well. So they winner is:

The olive Oil!!!

When this rubber is brand new, it does actually have a little tack... but this has not come back (didn't expect it would). However the only way I've ever found to return this, is to stick the plastic films back on....

So I've clamped the rubber in my bat clamp with a plastic sheet on... see if we can bring back the tack as well....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 00:55 

haggisv wrote:
Well after letting it soak into the complete rubber for a day or so, I'm quite happy with the results. It certainly does feel gripper, looks less worn... and possible slightly softer as well. So they winner is:

The olive Oil!!!

When this rubber is brand new, it does actually have a little tack... but this has not come back (didn't expect it would). However the only way I've ever found to return this, is to stick the plastic films back on....

So I've clamped the rubber in my bat clamp with a plastic sheet on... see if we can bring back the tack as well....

So I guess the question now is.......will you be adopting this as a regular rubber care procedure or will you be stopping at the experimental level?
I am interested to hear how you think the rubber plays 1) Compared to when it was in its more original newer condition, and 2) Compared to how it played just before it was retired and needed replacing. Please update after you've glued it up and hit with it, that will ultimately be the deciding factor as to whether you think its worth it.

pongcrazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 00:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I would continue to use the foam because I alrteady have it, and it's convenient. I personally will probably only use the oil when the rubber needs revival, not just a clean. For reviving the rubber I;m very impressed with the oil, and that would be my definite choice.

Yes I guess I'll try the rubber and will you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 14:07 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
The olive oil should be extra virgin first cold press. Anything else is an imposter and tastes terrible. :P Serious though... Cutting it with two parts lemon juice is also a killer rubber maintainer. Wipe/rub on and wipe off - a winner that works.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 14:16 
Super User

Do you mean one part oil, two parts lemon juice? Also, presumably its the acid in the lemon juice that does the trick - you could probably also use acetic acid (i.e. vinegar) - suggest white not brown though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 15:10 

Der_Echte wrote:
The olive oil should be extra virgin first cold press. Anything else is an imposter and tastes terrible. :P Serious though... Cutting it with two parts lemon juice is also a killer rubber maintainer. Wipe/rub on and wipe off - a winner that works.

I have also tried this on a salad, it makes for a good dressing! :D

I tried Olive Oil last night on a Globe 999, the results were impressive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Aug 2007, 15:20 
Super User

Thought I recognised the formula from somewhere :chef: Just add a little brown sugar and some soy sauce and it works a treat with wombok salad (recipe available). :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!