OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:30

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 02:55 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Dr.Pivot wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
BRS wrote:

You don't play people who can loop backspin consistently? Or you have a killer long push.

His point is that with a good/decent long push, you don't have to fear openings even at the 2000 USATT level. Dropping the ball short in my experience causes more problems if you can't read spin as you keep giving the opponent put away opportunities over the table. I find it easier to make the opponent move with a deep/wide push and then defend the opener. Dropping the ball short only works if you read the serves really well.

Yes. In addition, most players at the local scene are not even trying to serve short. The level where the short push is really needed is local pro or semi-pro (2300+), which is unreachable for me unless I train full-time. And all my training now is shadow practice.

Yes. That is even more relevant and correct sorry. Even if someone is trying to serve short, if they serve spinny and it isn't backspin, almost all the serves will come long. And even if not long, they can usually be attacked over the table if they aren't backspin.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 07:52 

NextLevel wrote:
Like the matches. You move well and cover a lot of court and that bodes well for your game. Also like the fact that you seem to be able to dictate the pace of play and don't go for too much. I would encourage you to learn to take the ball earlier as an alternative. You are patient and mobile enough to take the ball late for sure, but taking the ball earlier would enable you to play closer to the table and make the opponent move a bit more and let you move a bit less. When playing a chopper, letting the ball drop a bit is fine. But when playing topspin, you do want to be able to redirect on the rise or play some strokes at the top of the bounce as opposed to being forced to wait for the ball before loading it. I suspect you will continue to improve massively regardless.

Thanks for the comments! It's a habit I picked up playing as a teenager in Germany. iirc, my coach at the time even encouraged it. he often said, "fallen lassen" which means "let it drop."

Dr. Pivot, my coaches at the TT school (and now you) commented that I hit the ball a bit late. I recently started trying to hit it earlier, but I am still in the beginning stages of learning this. That said I managed to hit 2 FH topspins vs block earlier than usual in a recent match which I lost 0:3 (I'll upload the two rallies later).

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 08:17 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Coaches many years ago taught to take the push late. Then a swedish player started to take the ball early and the coaching advice changed over time.
At my low level no one short pushes. It's not really needed. This gives me a big advantage as when I short push they are totally suprsed and are late to the ball. It usually pops up for me to attack.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 08:55 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

chopblock wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Like the matches. You move well and cover a lot of court and that bodes well for your game. Also like the fact that you seem to be able to dictate the pace of play and don't go for too much. I would encourage you to learn to take the ball earlier as an alternative. You are patient and mobile enough to take the ball late for sure, but taking the ball earlier would enable you to play closer to the table and make the opponent move a bit more and let you move a bit less. When playing a chopper, letting the ball drop a bit is fine. But when playing topspin, you do want to be able to redirect on the rise or play some strokes at the top of the bounce as opposed to being forced to wait for the ball before loading it. I suspect you will continue to improve massively regardless.

Thanks for the comments! It's a habit I picked up playing as a teenager in Germany. iirc, my coach at the time even encouraged it. he often said, "fallen lassen" which means "let it drop."

Dr. Pivot, my coaches at the TT school (and now you) commented that I hit the ball a bit late. I recently started trying to hit it earlier, but I am still in the beginning stages of learning this. That said I managed to hit 2 FH topspins vs block earlier than usual in a recent match which I lost 0:3 (I'll upload the two rallies later).

It is always good to have options IMO and being patient enough to take the ball later in its flight allows you to generate your own power with less fear. But playing that way all the time is limiting, especially when you play someone who will stay close to the table and move you around. I have never been truly mobile enough to consistently back off the table to loop. But even in your game, especially important since you use Chinese rubber, you block on the forehand when you probably should be more actively looping many more balls than you currently do, you would just have to learn to loop over the ball more often, not up on the ball like you currently do.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 09:34 

NextLevel wrote:
It is always good to have options IMO and being patient enough to take the ball later in its flight allows you to generate your own power with less fear. But playing that way all the time is limiting, especially when you play someone who will stay close to the table and move you around. I have never been truly mobile enough to consistently back off the table to loop. But even in your game, especially important since you use Chinese rubber, you block on the forehand when you probably should be more actively looping many more balls than you currently do, you would just have to learn to loop over the ball more often, not up on the ball like you currently do.

I agree that it doesn't hurt to have more options. Blocking on my FH has been my default since forever. I just recently started trying to counter on the FH side, but making changes is a step-by-step process and it takes a long time, especially reaching the final step of being able to perform certain shots in match conditions.

Here are the two rallies I mentioned before.

https://youtu.be/DLpI7ByEb7Y

The opponent mostly served long to my BH with topspin to get into a rally early. He was more consistent than me on won 3:0 (9,8,6). Being able to counter consistently with my BH and FH would make this matchup even imo.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2020, 21:31 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

chopblock wrote:
I agree that it doesn't hurt to have more options. Blocking on my FH has been my default since forever. I just recently started trying to counter on the FH side, but making changes is a step-by-step process and it takes a long time, especially reaching the final step of being able to perform certain shots in match conditions.

Here are the two rallies I mentioned before.

https://youtu.be/DLpI7ByEb7Y

The opponent mostly served long to my BH with topspin to get into a rally early. He was more consistent than me on won 3:0 (9,8,6). Being able to counter consistently with my BH and FH would make this matchup even imo.

The first stroke looked perfect. The second one was very good for a ball where you were jammed or where you needed to use your upper body to get the ball to a place that you felt was open and would likely win the point outright.

Practicing looping more like that will help your game a lot. As you rightly point out, it is a process. No easy shortcuts to improvement in table tennis. You may also find that you can still loop with a similar stroke when you want to even a few steps off the table if you don't let the ball drop so much. Nothing wrong with letting the ball drop so much (other than giving the opponent time), but as we agree, the options are valuable. The advantage of the alternative is that taking the ball at an earlier point also means you can likely give a lower arcing faster ball to the opponent. . Doesn't always work our that way but often does. Isn't always the best option but it all depends on the opponent.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2020, 01:47 

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
I haven't tried sticky on the backhand either. The flick and power is so hard to give up. I've thought about it a lot but just can't do it. The sticky on the forehand mostly is ideal for touch and return of serve - my forehand has never been that good.

I feel that sticky on the backhand may be the next trend.

Changing to a tacky backhand is probably the best thing I've done recently (changed at the start of the year). My backhand has improved drastically and I'm feeling more confident than ever with it!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2020, 06:05 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 01:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

What, people still play table tennis?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020, 22:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
BRS wrote:

You mean ping-pong?

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2020, 09:19 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Harimoto diving more now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTiSNSq75vU

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2020, 11:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

Harimoto Dive training below. It's encouraging to see him getting annoyed when missing during the most simple multiball. There is hope for me yet.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2020, 11:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

I can start again on Tuesday. There were 30 about cases of covid over the last 2 weeks and that caused all indoor sport to cease. There are now zero cases per day, so life goes back to normal in Adelaide.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2020, 11:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

People are still sending through video with their robots/partners at home. All members are always invited to do so.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2020, 14:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
BRS wrote:

I can start again on Tuesday. There were 30 about cases of covid over the last 2 weeks and that caused all indoor sport to cease. There are now zero cases per day, so life goes back to normal in Adelaide.

We officially have ~80 new cases every day in the city I live (population about 1 million). Unofficially probably a lot more. The local healthcare is overwhelmed and most doctors seem to get covid at some point. Yet there are tournaments and people are playing. Some events were canceled due to bad outbreaks, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 517, 518, 519, 520, 521, 522, 523 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!