OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 12 Nov 2019, 04:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 May 2008, 22:03 
Super User

Just come back from training after trying my new blade and rubber. I enjoyed playing with this setup so much I never swapped for my old blade.

I find the Instinct blade very versatile. Serving was a real pleasure. It has lots of precision and control. The handle is a little thin, but I like it that way.

I used the Inspirt Quattro rubber on my FH with Milky Way 955 on my BH.
Both rubbers play well with the blade. The Insprit Quattro is a very good quality rubber. It has good control, and can generate a lot of mechanical spin. (The topsheet is non-tacky, but rather grippy.) It loops nicely away from the table and chops well too. I found it a little slow in the first gear, but it smashes very well.

I would highly recommend the Instinct blade and Insprit Quattro rubber for a beginner/intermediate player. It is forgiving and offers *plenty* of room to improve with.

Even though I felt the rubber was a bit slow in the first gear, *it keeps the ball on the table*, which is a big plus in order to stay in the rally.

I will stick with this setup for another few training sessions and see where it leads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 May 2008, 23:41 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Sounds like it's working well for you! How are you getting used to the 955? I've tried the 955 0.5mm in the instinct, and it does play quite well I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 May 2008, 23:49 
Super User

haggisv wrote:
Sounds like it's working well for you! How are you getting used to the 955? I've tried the 955 0.5mm in the instinct, and it does play quite well I agree.

I was focusing more on my FH today with the Insprit Quattro. I use the 955 on my BH OX. I like it. I still need a lot more practice with it though. It does allow me to hit through the ball pretty hard and still stay on the table, and simple pushes can be deceptive for the opponent. I will give it more of a run at the next training session.

Very happy with the blade though :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 May 2008, 04:04 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
What hardness is the IQ Ben? I have been a fan of IQ for a while. I have a sheet of 39%. It does smash and loop very well. It did well for me on the K3. I have just changed it off my HK in favour of trying Joola Tango there. But it may go back on yet. I also have a 35% sheet of plain Inspirit. Not bad, but a bit on the slow side. Smashes don't feel they have quite enough ooomph. Looping isn't bad, but again a bit slow. The 39% IQ I find looping is good but lowish throw and you have to be careful not to overshoot the table if you don't get quite enough topspin.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 May 2008, 08:40 

Instinct with IQ is an odd combo: very slow blade with very fast rubber. As long as it averages out I guess..

I've never really like the Instinct; so slow and vibrates like crazy. But the flex is good so brush loops are just as fast as when using my Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, which was surprising, I thought it would be slower. This could make for a great combination play though, control on flat contact and speed on brush loops for attack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 May 2008, 11:45 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

PPG, I see your point and don't like such a setup anymore. I like harder IQ on a stiff, fast composite blade. I think Ben's point about his setup being forgiving a bit and a good feel for him carry a lot of value to him though.

I used to like a soft version of IQ on a wood blade, so I suppose it is not such a bad setup for beginner/intermediate level players. IQ is a really cool rubber. Great durability as well. I observed everthing he said in my first month using it. It helped me appreciate the tactical value of keeping it on the table until it was time to violently end the point, if I could manage initiate the aggressiveness first. Yeah, such a setup won't blaze by anyone, but is fast enough to win the point anyway.

Hit us up on FB or the Forum

Janitor at Nexy USA
http://www.NexyUSA.com
http://www.facebook.com/Nexyusa/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 May 2008, 16:34 
Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
What hardness is the IQ Ben? I have been a fan of IQ for a while. I have a sheet of 39%. It does smash and loop very well. It did well for me on the K3. I have just changed it off my HK in favour of trying Joola Tango there. But it may go back on yet. I also have a 35% sheet of plain Inspirit. Not bad, but a bit on the slow side. Smashes don't feel they have quite enough ooomph. Looping isn't bad, but again a bit slow. The 39% IQ I find looping is good but lowish throw and you have to be careful not to overshoot the table if you don't get quite enough topspin.

I think it is 35%. I understand why you are a fan. It is an excellent quality rubber. (You can tell by just looking at it, and I love the logo :-)
Actually I bought the rubber on your suggestion. Thanks!
Some of the loops were amazingly loaded. I was surprised because it is not a tacky rubber, so I thought I wouldn't be able to generate a lot of spin. The spin on serves wasn't bad either, but not as good as H2, which is a lot more tacky.
Actually I will probably stick the H2 or FocusII on the blade just to compare the difference with IQ in a few weeks time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 May 2008, 16:45 
Super User

ppgear wrote:
Instinct with IQ is an odd combo: very slow blade with very fast rubber. As long as it averages out I guess..

Yep :-)

I really like the feel of the blade in my hand, and find it very agile. (i.e. easy to switch from FH to BH.)

I will stick some rubbers I am use to such as H2 or Focus II on it in a couple weeks so I will be able to see what affect the blade really has.

Quote:
I've never really like the Instinct; so slow and vibrates like crazy. But the flex is good so brush loops are just as fast as when using my Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, which was surprising, I thought it would be slower.

I didn't notice the vibration.
Once thing I liked about it is the precision of the serves. I have been training on my serves to try and give the ball a lot of backspin and land it just past the net , bounce 3 times and then roll back into the net. I found this very hard to do with my other blades, but with the Instinct I couldn't miss. It just felt so natural and easy to accomplish.

I agree about the brush loops. Not super fast, but very loaded. That is all I need to initialise the attack. The problem is that when I start driving more it is a bit slow, but that might be due to the blade. (On the other hand the balls stay on the table.)

Quote:
This could make for a great combination play though, control on flat contact and speed on brush loops for attack.

Absolutely. And I also use a LP on my BH which gets even more confusing for the opponent :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 May 2008, 21:50 
Super User

used this balde again at training and really like the Instinct / IQ combination. The loops are very well controlled and have lots of spin, even though I wish the rubber was a little faster.
I am getting better at using the Milky Way 955 as well. I have noticed to achieve the best reverse spin effect is to push the bat forward and kind of twist your wrist (A bit like when you use a key to open a door.).
Still have a lot to learn on how to use LPs though.