OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 23 Feb 2024, 04:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2007, 10:31 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
I tried this rubber out on a number of blades from ALL to OFF + the very week this rubber hit the American market in Spring 2006. This rubber is a totally new kind of rubber using nano technology - where the scientists grind the stuff so small (like I will do to Speedplay) that you measure the particals on a nano scale, then they somehow reassemble the stuff into a topsheet. The sponge receives some high tech hybryd modifications as well, mostly synthetic stuff. The concept is like taking a VW beetle, roving the motor, and replacing it with a Porsche motor, then modifying the suspension and everything else to make the endstate something totally different and high performance over the former. I personally think they had Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles throw some Nittaku Midship (a Sriver like rubber) into a nuclear reactor and pull it out before it totally melted. This is the Six-Million Dollar Man of TT rubbers. (Old 70s American TV show where the government rebuilds a dying man using bioinic body parts to give him super human strength and speed) Please respond with your opinions.

Nittaku's marketing machine says:
HAMMOND X has greatly increased spin while maintaining excellent speed! Hammond X is a new generation based on the "integrated Energy (ID) rubber HAMMOND. Hammond X differs from Hammond in that the brand-new technology "nano-composite" is used when mixing the chemical component of Hammond X. In the "nano-composite", the chemical component ground up to nano level is compounded, so the characteristic of each component is emphasized. In particular, the sponge of Hammond X has 70% synthetic rubber to make the spring effect maximized as the result of the nano-composite. So, you will find that spin is greatly increased, while maintaining excellent speed!

Der_Echte's real No-Shit observations...
The marketing statement fails to tell you that you are participating in the largest secret government experiment of all history. The stuff does work like advertized, though.

Speed: Fast! Very Fast. A couple notches below Couga. Best noted on drives and fast loops.
Control: Surprisingly good on drives and passive shots. Loops close to the table take some getting used to. Mid distance loops are sweet - nice control.
Spin: Average on serves, excellent on drives sinking the ball to wood. Kreanga-like on mid distance loops with a full stroke.
Thickness: I used 2.2 Black
Tackiness: A little, not a lot. It is a grippy rubber.
Sponge: Medium stiff. Gives different properties with the type of stroke. Full explosion of catapult on full swing drives and powerloops.
Weight: Average
Price: Slightly expensive, kinda like saying you got slightly schloshed drinking Absolut Vodka
Throw Angle: Medium Low
Power: X-Men like on all shots using anything more than an moderate swing, kind of proportional increase.
Ball Feeling: Best on full swings, but great on pushes and receiving serves.

Who this rubber is for: Anyone wishing to benefit from a rubber that has astounding catapult effect and monster spin. A player with good drive and loop strokes will love this one. Aggressive mid distance loopers can powerloop all day to the bank. Hitters who use a tacky rubber for the other surface to setup 3rd ball smashes off the serve will absolutely crave Hammond X. A Blocker/Counterdriver can benefit as well. Choppers and classic defenders should look elsewhere.

Match Performance: You put the sheet on your favorite OFF blade and groan in anticipation of breaking it out at your club for the first time. You think " Man, am I gonna bust something out on these guys" and you do. You open up with warm up drills and right off the bat you feel how you get proportional increases in speed and spin, all with acceptable control. This rubber does take some getting used to, but which ones don't? You setup a hard drive and hit it. The ball seems to be moving at a different speed than your opponent! You fall back a meter to loop. You let it fly. The ball goes into the sponge enough and the loop goes fast and true with tremendous topspin to land it safely on medium and fast loops. You get into position and REALLY let loose your powerloop. All the opponent sees is a white or orange blur move at a supersonic pace from below the table to just over the net to near the endline - truly amazing what this does at high speeds. I truly can compare this increased effect of speed and spin to ever increasingly pushing down on the accellerator of a BMW 750i somewhere out on Autobahn 7 heading towards Ulm - nothing to stop you as you go to 120 km/h, then 140... 280... (that is nothing but opponents' superior skills and allround play!) Serves are par for the course and pushes/passive shots are predictable and controlable - the firmish sponge is consistant at low speeds. The speed of your drives seem like they will go off the table, but you produce more spin than you think and they land in. Driving at high speeds and aggressively looping the ball are the strongest points of this setup.

I know I have talked this one up a bit, but I couldn't help myself. This rubber is a unique offensive powerhouse.

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2007, 15:09 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Thanks for the review! I was thinking of giving this rubber a shot, but I'm trying to cut back on the obsessive EJing :lol: I do tend to chop on my fh occasionally, so I'm not sure this would be the rubber for me anyway.

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2007, 15:42 

Some offensive rubber with a flexible topsheet and/or soft sponge facilitates the chops, which I by the way do NOT do. My favorite Reforma is also used by some of my LP partners. Has great offensive potential and the ability to hit almost every kind of shot with control. Juic 999 Elite Soft Verson still has great offense, while being able to produce tacky chops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2007, 01:15 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
yeah, I'm still debating over whether or not I want a tacky rubber on the fh...the juci 999 elite ultima sv looks pretty good though. You said it played well unglued, was it also treated with EEII?

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2007, 04:22 

I tested it unglued. I saw a pic of the regular 999 Elite Ultima w/E II treatment - It domed and curled up like a dead leaf - amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 10:30 

i've just started using hammond about 3 weeks ago and everything was good except it can't really create spin on chop pushes, and it was too bouncy for me.

so i was wondering if hammond x can create more spin on chops, and if it has a lower bounce on hammond x?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 13:48 

@X, I don't chop and I don't think Hammond X is set up to faciltate the ease of chops. Hammond X does a lot of things well, particularly loop drive with devastating speed and spin (great power on hits as well). I guess anyone with the right technique can do any shot, but I don't think it is easy to do conventional chops with Hammond X (the sponge is not so softish and the topsheet is not tacky at all), maybe chop blocks though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 16:45 
Super User

How much money did pay Nittaku for this ? Because that was real poetry :lol:

Just kidding man , but I didn't see a review like this, I think I will buy a sheet ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2007, 17:04 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Yes Der_Echte's No-Shit reviews are absolute classics... brutally honest and very entertaining! :thumright:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 00:39 

I have just tried 2.2mm red on a wavestone blade, AMAZING, so much spin and control, and speed, not that I have noticed the speed, everything just goes on!!. My mid range loops have an absurd amount of top and side spin on and i still have the touch to push and place short touch shots. It took ten mins to get used to the new blade and hammond X, now it feels like i can do any thing, and can even topspinning/looping over the table!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2007, 19:04 

Agree with Der Echte masterpiece. Really Sir, you should apply for a job as an professional rewier. I've played few weeks with Hx max Fh and 2.0 Bh on acoustic unglued. Was very good indeed. However I didn't find it as speedy as you. It's fast ok and controllable as well, but my F1 2.0 gives me as much speed as Hx 2.3 with a lower weight and a better feeling. Since Acoustic is in the 90g range, I didn't want to add some weight with a max rubber. Alltogether Hx is like a swiss knife, does all well. I would say it's a modern super sriver that I also recommend to any allround attackants. Now with glue, it's a deadly weapon faster than glued bryce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 07:42 

Jolan, Thanks for the positive feedback on my lack of skills (I got zero humor too, thx everyone for going along) and WELCOME to the jungle, oops, I mean this forum. Great to see some ole DTTW/Wotaners around! When I used this rubber, I was in Iraq and had no TT glue, but had some bicycle repair glue, which is awesome speed glue that I didn't know about at the time. (Used one coat) So, I think the performance was a little better than it should have been unglued.

I do not limit myself to pimping Nittaku, I also pimp BTY and Juic products that are worth it, especially 999 elite series and EE II.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 10:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You don't have to be a top player to have a good feel for rubbers... I think you have the 'nack'.... you might have caught it off Silver :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 11:12 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Photino for now
FH: Haifu Blue Whale for now
BH: Donic Bluefire for now
I would agree. Der has a talent for this side of EJ'ing. I have tried a few blades, and rubbers. I can play with them, and I can see the results personally, but I'm not sure I can express them correctly within a full review. I'm always excited to read Der's reviews. Keep em coming man!

I for one hope that you have a sheet of Elite Nano already on the way, and soon to writing a review of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007, 13:23 

Elite Nano? Delivered to my house? The cost? You all know what my wife would do to it? She would treat it like a Korean cat. If anyone has been there (Poor Knight can testify to this) you hear stories about people who occasionally eat dog. Well you see dogs there, but mighty few cats. 99 percent of them think they are the devils animal and when you see one stopped somewhere, Koreans seem to be authorized to get the right to do what you do in soccor after someone fouls you - you get a free kick!

I would have to fix someone's computer there and charge them a sheet of Nano for it and write the review from Iraq out of sight from the wife!

I might start building up a small stock of a few Euro like inexpensive Chinese rubbers and wood blades to hold me over there for a while. I can write reviews then.