OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2020, 00:59 

Blade: Joola Chen Defender (low)
FH: Donic Bluefire M3
BH: Giant Dragon Talon 0.9MM
This was part of another thread I started, but I thought it would be a worthwhile post on its own.

The problem: I'm offensive on FH, and LP defensive on my BH. I'm trying to negotiate those polar opposites - be as slow and "LP weird" on my BH as possible, and as spinny offensive on my FH as possible. I LOVE the slow down, tempo disruption of 0X (Grass Dtecs) on my BH with a defensive blade (Nittaku Endless), but the FH is relatively weak; whereas, if I use a fast blade, I love my FH, but I can't control my BH worth a snit; the ball flies off the table more often than not, and against my opponents' weak balls, not just their drives.

The solution?: Instead of slowing down and controlling my 0X pips by using a defensive blade, thereby weakening my FH, can I slow my BH LP down and get better control by putting a sponged LP on a fast, offensive blade, to the same degree or similar as I can by using a slow, defensive blade and 0X? Is it a similar effect and feel to 0X on a defensive blade? Can you compare and contrast? Does anyone else do this for the same reasons?

Are there brands of LP whose sponge is specifically meant for this task: to dampen and slow the speed of the ball for control's sake? Which are they? Does it work the opposite of inverted sponge, i.e., the thicker the sponge, the more defensive the rubber/sponge combo?

Suggestions?

Thanks!

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2020, 02:49 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Omega VII Euro 2mm
BH: Spinlord Orkan 1.5mm
Coming from attacking with SP& MP I prefer the opposite and find most LP too slow. and when I recently bought a sheet of Dr Neubauer ARP 2 with 1.0mm sponge after using an old sheet of DTecs S with 1.2 sponge I found it was far too slow due to the dampening sponge and soft pimples. Removed the top sheet and have attached it to 729 HRS sponge in 1.0mm. The sponge on the new hellfire X is also supposed to have a dampening effect.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2020, 06:13 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
The thing with Grass D.TecS is that it's way faster than pretty much anything else on the market no matter if you use it with sponge or OX. Any other rubber in OX will be more controllable but you will loose the benefits of Grass (insensitive to spin, speed, passive "reversal" etc''). Some other rubbers comes close but they will most likely just frustrate you unless you're willing to give 3-9 months on learning how to use a new rubber properly.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2020, 07:20 
Super User

An option: going from Nittaku Endless to Butterfly Hadrawshield with Grass DTecs ox and using a fast rubber with max. thickness like Tibhar MX-p, Dignics 64 or one of this caliber of rubbers on fh... This Hadrawshield Blade is just a lil'bit faster than Endless and supports better if you need power for attack...

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2020, 16:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tsp Black Balsa 3.0
FH: t05 1.9 boosted
BH: 388d ox black
Options
1.try a faster rubber on Endless f/h
2.Boost your current rubber on Endless
3.Try a slower ox lp on a faster blade(lp with disruption and more control than de tecs)
Dampening Sponge will kill ox lp effects,even ultra thin 0.3mm thick

Last edited by dazzler on 02 Oct 2020, 06:45, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2020, 02:11 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
I use OX LP for BH, tried a lot of dampening sponges no one satisfied my target, if you want really to low the speed of your LP let it dry to the sun.