OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 16:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Net serve vs Edge serve
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2021, 03:15 

Blade: Falck Carbon
FH: o5
BH: Bluestorm
I never understood this. Maybe you can clarify.

If a serve hits the edge, it is legal & play continues but if a serve hits the net and otherwise legal, it is a let. Why is that ?

It is so annoying because it has happened to all of us when the receiver calls a net let on one of your best serves, especially at deuce.

I read somewhere that they just copied this over from tennis rules but to me it makes no sense in tennis either

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2021, 03:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

No idea why it got started but I'd observe that, with practice, you could produce net serves at will. And they'd result in a point for you most of the time, especially if you use it as a surprise. Whereas edge serves would be very, very difficult to produce at will.

What is "o5", by the way? :lol: Oh.. T05.. :lol: :lol: These are getting more and more cryptic.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2021, 19:36 
CTRL_ALT_Loop
CTRL_ALT_Loop

For the "tennis rule carryover":
In tennis, hitting the edge of a line will have little or no impact on bounce, and does not make any telltale/disturbing sound. Hitting the edge of the net will usually change the trajectory significantly, and be clearly audible.

To me, it does make perfect sense in tennis. It also "feels right" in table tennis, but probably more due to habit than the difference Iskandar submits. I reckon he is right, though.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2021, 16:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Apparently in volleyball (not the beach sort, the regular sort), net serves count.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!