OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Donic F3 Big Slam
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 07:22 
Super User

Several player here are now using this rubber in 2.0, this rubber firstly has great sound it sounds like it is glued up but no matter what glue you use it always sounds great. It is very shiny and has a very nice arc to the return balls. It is OK fast but very reliable, the harder you hit it the better it works for big shots. So far I have seen it used on Donic Epox topspeed ( just OK results ) Juic Balsa Max ( super results ) Avalox Ma Wenge ( super super results ) plus some other blades so if you put it on fast soft blade it it special.

I think this is and underrated rubber if you are a looper who is looking for a high percentage game with nice arc and super spin this is the one.

Gregg

PS Thanks Alex for supplying this to us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 09:16 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Thank you Gregg!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 11:05 
I am Legend
I am Legend

I've used it half a dozen times and also had feedback from around 10 players at my club.

It's hardly a super spin rubber. Main critisism I get is that it's not spinny enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 11:38 
Super User

F3 Big slam is a bit blade fussy, it works best on balsa blades, need to brush the ball not slap it and I felt it got good spin.

What do you think spins more with a good arc, also F3 does kick off the table well.

It is not as fast as others especailly if you put it on a slow blade.

Gregg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Aug 2008, 13:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I think it has a lot to do with technique as well, probably suits a brush loop more than a euro loop, since I get massive spin out of it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2008, 23:18 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

It is a good rubber. Super spinny - I think the blade is a big issue. Perhaps it is with a softer blade.

I take Silver's point against the new wave tensors (Pryde and I'm told BTY new one is spinnier) Big Slam doesn't generate that amount of spin. Pryde can produce heaps of spin, if BTY new stuff gives more .. I'm astonished.

Big Slam is a spinny rubber though, gives lots of control (unlike new generation tensors), low throw (for me at least), resistant to incoming spin (not brilliant at counter looping as a consequence), and readily allows a floated return.

Basically it is a good choice for a spin based game because you can take off the incoming spin and return spin/ no spin stroke depending and you are really looking for ball control and placement. Plus in 2mm you can (sidespin) loop attack - a real chopper though would use a thinner sponge.

I like it because someone will see the pips come into play and think 'prepare for problem' but they'll see the inverted and think 'predictable return'.

Some people seem to go crazy over it - I just think its a good rubber but its a tall claim to say it is a really great rubber (1mm Phoenix is though).

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2008, 21:03 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Ok I'll concede a bit. BigSlam is spinny in the sense of sling shots. The soft sponge allows large dwell time.

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2008, 21:11 
Devil may cry
Devil may cry

I seem too agree with the F3 big slam being not as spiney...

I feel the same with my F2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2008, 22:18 
I am Legend
I am Legend

imo the problem with f3BS is due to the not-so-grippy topsheet combined with the super soft sponge.

For low speed stuff it's fine - but when you start trying to put more spin on it, you can either brush it more or try and sink the ball into the sponge and rip it out faster.

The former doesn't work as the topsheet grip gives up and the ball drops off. The latter works to some extent, but once you hit it just that little bit too hard, the ball sinks through the sponge, taps the wood and you're back to square one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2008, 22:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes that makes sense. I get massive spin for slow spinny loops, perhaps not that spinny for faster loops as it bottoms out... Still the bottoming out works great for blocking or counter hitting... makes it so insensitive to spin....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2008, 07:39 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Haggisv has a point. Bottoming out can be useful.

I don't think its a loopers rubber but it is good. It also depends on the strokes, holding the ball on the rubber (sidespin) can be useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 06:20 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Better mention that for a pip player slowing the game down is all part of the game plan. In this sense BigSlam is ok because the opponent can't use your spin and speed against you so bottoming out and looping into a fast ball is much less of an issue.

In summary its not a counter looping rubber. Apart for that though its a good rubber.

For counter looping something with much harder sponge is needed and to be really quick a tacky (Chinese) topsheet is my preference.

Mod can we shift this into the 'equipment' section? Noticed the post came up on Google under BigSlam Donic search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 06:29 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

What Greggy is saying makes sense.

A balsa blade flexes alot when looping and is a good blade to sling shot.
What I suspect is happening is that the flex in the blade is preventing the sponge from bottoming out and results in huge spinny shots.

Basically once a ball "sinks" into the rubber the blade flexes you get huge dwell time, which I get doing away from the table side spin loops.

Hmmm.... switching to a balsa blade.... hmmm...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 07:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Good idea, topic moved! I doubt there is a lot of flex in the thick balsa blades (there would be plenty in the thinner ones I'm sure), but the soft and springy feels gives it good dwell time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 09:07 

Granted I'm not used to thicker sponge invert (using 2.0mm), only played with it for one full session, and am just a beginning (should drop to around 1200 after last tour.) player,

but paired on a Clipper (on BH) I thought it was mostly fast yet had fantastic control, surprisingly so especially with the bump in sponge, really made me wonder why I was using thinner before. Didn't seem like I could load up a ton of spin, which makes me think the blade is just too hard / not enough dwell. Close/med loop drives felt good though.

Going to stick with the setup awhile but have a feeling I will drop to a softer 7-ply sometime down the road, maybe like the Joola R. Viva mentioned in that soft 7 / hard 5 article.. Hmm..

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!