OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Jul 2024, 15:49

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2024, 23:38 

rokphish2 wrote:
Don’t forget the end results are due to the sum of the whole blade designs (composition, dimension, balance, weight, etc), and not just the top ply.

Applying this to Defplay Senso does my thinking align as to why it can give such a massive kick compared to other blades?

Composition: thin all wood 5 ply
Dimension: slightly oversized compared to attacking blades, more compact compared to typical modern defensive blades
Balance: head heavy due to empty senso V3 cavity
Weight: 80-85g

Marketing can only trick the average consumer so far, the simplification of using only wood plies should give a good indication on the playing properties to be expected. My theory is TT companies expressly push the manufacture of composite blades for the reason they can pull more PR spin that ultimately allows them to charge crazy amounts of money.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2024, 14:08 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Baracuda
BH: Grass Dtecs OX
Wanted to contribute some anecdotes since I've played the Defplay Senso for 5+ years now (always come back to it) and have also played the blades listed below for a dedicated 3 month run each before moving on:

The Stratus Power Defense is also an oversized blade with the same outer ply as the Defplay Senso (Anigre), but I can confirm it definitely does not produce the same levels of spin on chops or kick on loops. That said, I think the trade off of losing the Defplay Senso's extra spin for more stability in the stiffer Stratus Power Defense would be appreciated by those who incorporate smashes/flat hits, blocks, over the table stuff, etc..

The Koji Matsushita Offensive does not create as much spin on chops or slow spinny loops as the Defplay Senso. I think the blade really wants a player with the athleticism to get into position fast enough to murder a weak ball with a loop kill (lower trajectory). I don't think it is meant for playing loops that are focused on friction over force.

The original Koji Matsushita never felt great to me. I don't like the soft mushy feeling, so my assessment might be a bit biased. I could definitely get strong topspin but was never was able to reproduce that crisp heavy kick from the Defplay Senso that wowed my opponents. Also, can confirm that I clearly got less reversal with the ox pips on the Matsushita Original compared to the blades with harder outer plies.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2024, 14:13 

Blade: Defplay Senso
FH: Baracuda
BH: Grass Dtecs OX
I really appreciate this thread!

I would love to hear if anyone could directly compare the kick of the Defplay Senso's slow super spinny loops to that of the Koji Matsushita Special's.

How close in spin between the two head to head are we talking? I read the KMSS is quite stiff.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2024, 10:39 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I wonder how much the rubber contributes to this 'kick'. When both a rubber and a blade have a lot of catapult, I can imagine that when combined the effect can either with or against each other. So some rubbers may enhance the catapult, while some may cancel out some of the effect. Just a theory that may or may not be plausible.