OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 13 Apr 2024, 01:14


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2024, 05:29 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 10 Nov 2021, 22:44
Posts: 11
Location: London UK
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Xiom Vega Pro
It seems something is wrong with the bat, as I haven't seen this before. Tried 3 different rubbers, but none would stick to the bat in just the same place, about a quarter of the space of the bat's surface on one side only. It is always the same spot. And when I push on the rubber after it's been glued there is an air pocket present. I wonder if the bat may need re-lacquering. On touch, every part of the bat feels equal and when I look at it I can't see anything different. The old lacquer still seems present. The bat is Butterfly Viscaria about 5 years old. I am using the same latex glue that I've always used, normally two layers. I always remove any glue still on the blade then a quick light rub down to ensure the blade is clean. When replacing rubbers I remove any previous glue from the sponge.
One thing I haven't done yet, and somebody just told me as I've been writing this, is that I should lightly sand the bat and then clean it with white spirit. I guess that is the next step to try.


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2024, 22:51 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 10 Nov 2021, 22:44
Posts: 11
Location: London UK
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Xiom Vega Pro
Update: I sanded the bat lightly, cleaned it with white spirit and re-glued the rubber. I have to mention that I place the rubber while still wet, as it is already cut so I struggle with adjusting it in the right position if let dry, hence the reason. That has been working fine for me so far. I place two layers of glue on the rubber and one on the bat. I let the first layer of glue dry completely, then add a second layer (rubber). Then while still wet I place the rubber on the bat.
Immediately I noticed the air pocket again even though I used a rolling pin to press it. Anyway I have placed a few kilos of weight on the bat and will check on it tomorrow, once fully dried. Looks like a bit of mystery to me.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 22 Feb 2024, 23:22 
Online
Dark Knight
Dark Knight
User avatar

Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 12:34
Posts: 33347
Location: Adelaide, AU
Has thanked: 2748 times
Been thanked: 1548 times
Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I've encountered this once myself. In my case it was a fault in the blade, where the outer ply had come loose from the inner plies, forming a very slight bump on the surface. I did not notice it on the blade by itself, but once I attached a rubber it was quite obvious since the rubber surface is so shiny.
I thought I had a faulty rubber sheet, so I tried a completely new sheet, only to encounter exactly the same problem in the same spot. So when I removed the 2nd sheet I had a very close inspection of the blade, and noticed the feint bump on the surface of the blade. It was very hard to see.

Check the blade very carefully... I bet that's the issue.

_________________
OOAK Table Tennis Shop | Re-Impact Blades | Butterfly Table Tennis bats
Setup1: Re-Impact Smart, Viper OX, Victas VS 401 Setup2: Re-Impact Barath, Dtecs OX, TSP Triple Spin Chop 1.0mm Setup3: Re-Impact Dark Knight, Hellfire OX, 999 Turbo
Recent Articles: Butterfly Tenergy Alternatives | Tenergy Rubbers Compared | Re-Impact User Guide


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2024, 08:38 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 29 Mar 2015, 20:42
Posts: 174
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 35 times
The greatest thing I ever learned from these forums is the baking paper trick. You don't need to use wet glue.

Let the glue dry, then put a sheet of baking paper across the blade, maybe 1cm from the handle. Put the rubber with dry glue on top of it, align the top / sides properly by feeling with your fingers, while keeping the 1cm area of the rubber off the blade (if it touches don't worry). Once the rubber is aligned properly, you can then lay down the 1cm part onto the blade and press it to stick it. then hold up the other part of the rubber (that is on top of the baking paper), pull out the baking paper, then roll the rest of the rubber on as normal.

You may want to make the gap 2cm to make it a bit easier.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2024, 22:43 
Offline
New Member

Joined: 10 Nov 2021, 22:44
Posts: 11
Location: London UK
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 1 time
Blade: Tibhar Stratus Power Wood
FH: Xiom Vega Pro
BH: Xiom Vega Pro
Thanks for the replies guys! I will have to try the baking paper trick sometime. I examined the bat carefully, but couldn't see any difference, it appeared identical all around. So leaving it overnight to dry completely with about 30 kilos of weight equally pressing on the rubber seems to have done the trick. I tested the bat the following day and it was fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ca_saurabh and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2018 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group