OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 22 Jan 2020, 18:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Juic Leggy OX
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2007, 09:36 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Ok there's been a bit of chatter on this forum about Juic Leggy.

To summarize I got the defence version with 2mm soft sponge - it was awful, 2mm hard sponge might have been ok, but the soft sponge just made it like spinny short pips. It was worse than that because this is a sticky rubber (for European/ Japan pip standards) with a smooth tip that looks very frictionless. Anyway spin in, inverse spin straight out - whats the point in that?

I pulled the sponge off and the pip that emergeny was an interesting OX. I play a fair few OX rubbers and this interested me. It turns out to be a medium hard pip - really a soft pip but its on the border line in my opinion; compared to Cloud and Fog III its a hard pip - but thats ultra soft (topsheet not sponge). The topsheet is less hard than Allegator soft which is the softest frictionless pip I've played. If I spin the ball on inverted, twiddle and bounce it on the pips then all the spin disappears and becomes a float - on OX :shock: So doesn't appear to reverse spin on blocking, but if you let the ball pull with the inverse spin you get a little reverse spin. Of course a flick of the wrist and you get alot of reverse spin, in fact a small flick of the wrist gives a fair amount of reverse spin. So far not bad. If you bounce the ball up on it than the pips deviate the path slightly.

Gave it a few knocks and it looked good. The stickiness allowed real attacks to take place, secondly it was fast on OX incredibly fast for OX - its on an OFF blade though (Septear). Not only could I hit with confidence I could manipulate the spin on the vertical stroke, i.e. loop - yeah you could loop with it, or lift (float return) and you didn't have to be careful either about getting the ball on the other side of the court the stickiness took care of that. On OX the shift was obvious - apart from the difference in speed - because a float/lift went 'clonk' and a loop went 'ping'. The loop returned very mild inverse spin. In addition a quick flick of the wrist would deliver good reverse spin and in actually fact a block also gave inverse spin in contrast to my tests (obviously not as heavy as frictionless). You could swipe wobble with it, do reverse spin drop shots in fact great control on many strokes, particularly attacking strokes. OX the rubber is weighted towards reverse spin in normal play, a little hard to get a straight float from a block and will do mild inverse spin on brush stroke shots. With a little sponge under the pips (and there are many of them - small and packed) will gobble the ball and start shifting rapidly to inverse spin.

I liked it. I'll need to play a good player though to check out precisely how effective it is, but the ability to just 'welly' the ball at the opponent and place within the last 6'' - 1 foot of the end of the table is a tribute to the control it delivers and is bound to course problems against any player partic. when the next shot is twiddle / inverted loop. Manipulating float to mild inverse spin is hardly point winning but mild inverse and good reverse certainly is.

Anyway I've put 1mm sponge under my previous pip Donic Allegator soft and will check out how this performs. In the meantime I'm sticking with Leggy OX - the range of spins is impressive and ease of attacking to the extent of manipulating the spin on the attack isn't bad. You can't manipulate the spin on any frictionless attack (although I've not checked out Inferno or Monster - but I seriously doubt it).

I can begin to see what Carl Prean was getting up to. Leggy OX is not available in shops, but its perfectly legal....... at least for now :shock:

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jan 2007, 09:51 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Excellent review Mathias! I'm more and more intrigued how my 1mm version will work.

I think OX is available, but perhaps no-one ever tried it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 07:45 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Anyway Haggisv let me know what you think when you try yours.

Tighter pip structure do you think it is effected by the 40mm ruling (discussion on DTTW)?

Frictionless strokes | Attacking pip strokes | Greggy's advice | Bollsbrother | Sebastian Sauer . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jan 2007, 08:15 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Mathias wrote:
Anyway Haggisv let me know what you think when you try yours.

Tighter pip structure do you think it is effected by the 40mm ruling (discussion on DTTW)?

Sure thing!

Well I don't think the bigger dimension makes any difference, but the extra weight would make it dig in a little more, which I'm sure would be noticable. It would also bend the pips more easily so no doubt it would make some difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 22:13 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Got my Leggy defence 1mm finally!

Here is a pic:
This is my take from inspection (Mathias has already mentioned some of this):

Pips are quite stiff/rigid, and they are fairly small but thin and tall. The closest chinese one I have seen would be the Globe 979, but the pips on the 979 are much softer. The surface looks quite rough.

I can feel a little friction on the surface, but since the pips don't bend much untill you hit it harder, it should have decent spin reversal. Personally I doubt the ITTF would ban this rubber...enough grip...

The sponge looks like good quality, and very soft...

I will glue it up tomorrow and give it a good workout either tomorrow night against the ball machine, or Sat at practice.[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 08:18 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Great please let us know how it performs and what pips it plays like.

When I first took this rubber from the sleeve it was like examining a pip from another planet. I think TT forums have caused a surge in Leggy buying, it not too expensive either (compared to Hallmark Frustration).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 22:55 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Just had a brief hit against the ball machine with this rubber.

First impressions:

- It plays like a grippy pip
- Feel a little fast on chopping but good feel and some grip
- excellent on counterhitting or attacking backspin.
- Flat blocks takes the spin off against topspin, not that much reversal
- excellent for chop block or sidespin blocks
- dropshots are tough since it feels a little springy.

Seems like it's got good potential... I hope to try it against some real players tomorrow.

The ball machine never seems good for testing wobble balls, nor does it show the unintential variation in spin, so I'll have to test that in practice as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007, 01:16 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Yeah I'd agree with all of the above.

I think its designed for the punch block IMO. A straight (float) punch block can be played at speed because when its carrying underspin too much speed and it will not land on the table. Twist the punch block with topspin to introduce the variation.

I hope thats understandable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007, 07:17 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Yes I see what you mean, and I'll try that today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007, 07:25 
Rotatus Maximus
Rotatus Maximus

Quote:
Twist the punch block with topspin

Do you mean simply add topspin to the punch?

Prean did this, and somehow disguised how much top spin he was adding. Perhaps by rolling his wrist just before he made contact some of the time? Would that change from topspin to float in a significant enough way to be meaningful?

Member of Anastasia's Fan Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007, 07:35 
Sir He-LP-alot
Sir He-LP-alot

Thats it! By throwing a punch block and twisting the wrist at the final part of the stroke if you hit the ball early its a punch block if its late its a topspin stroke. In the Hallmark video Prean says he did it by solidly hitting the ball but with the bat angled as a topspin stroke - but I think he achieves this via twisting the wrist.

The upshot is that by looping with long pips punch block / topspin variation and twiddle and inverted loop it creates a lot of variation.