OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:32

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2010, 02:51 

Quite by chance I discovered that this rubber is just what I'm looking for. For background info, I'm a 1700 level player, using Donic Cayman, TSP Real FH and P-1R backhand. I mostly attack on both sides. I was looking for a LP to do these things:
Generate its own spin, so that I could roll/drive underspin balls
Chop block
Chop back from table
Generate underspin on push

Amazingly, p1 can do all of these and well. It shines in topspin/drive attack. It hits better than other OX rubbers (Meteorite, Feint 2, Akkadi L2, even TSP P3). In rally's with players 1700 - 2000 I could exchange BH drives and quickly step back and chop a heavy underspin ball which would normally land in the net. Everyone knows this rubber is excellent for chopping; the surprise for me was how effective it was for chopblocking, hitting, and regular blocking as if it were an inverted rubber.

I think it's the flexible, grippy long pips which allow so much versatility. Most OX LP are unreliable, IME, for attacking, but with this LP I rarely miss a BH.

Chopblocking was also quite good. The trick was to keep the forearm parallel with table (see Haruna Fukuoaka) and quickly drop it (or more like, allow your arm to drop, you need to be relaxed) straight down when a ball comes. I loosened the grip completely on the blade upon ball impact and voila, a consistent chop block. The only suboptimal aspect I found, as is true with all grippy LPs, is the spin reversal is not the best.

OTH, you can quite easily do an inverted or short pip type block and send back and no spin or unpredictably spinning ball, which is what I generally do when a fast loop comes and I don't have time to set anything else up.

Another very effective shot is the side-swipe on oncoming pushes. I could push the ball quickly and reliably and it would most often drop at the baseline, turning into a topspin ball.

I just wanted to post this review, since I haven't heard of this rubber being used for close to the table attack playing. It might be that the rubber just performs very well with the Cayman. At any rate, would be happy to hear others' experiences.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 18:02 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Only used this pip once briefly to try over a year ago. It seemed a nice soft feel and I felt it would be something I could use, but not so different to the Meteor 8512 0.5 I was using that it would make much difference is my recollection. Now I am using Pogo and to me its a far superior pip in almost every aspect. Its hard to compare to something I used briefly long ago, but I feel Pogo is superior to P1-r (at least for me) for attacking.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.