OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 15:59 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

You can attack with p1r. Just not all the time. You need to pick your shots. Like you said it is possible with short mostly wrist shots. I find it most easy after I chop and they return with a bunt. I can roll the ball pretty much where ever I want. Looks like a topspin but it's pretty much a dead ball. More times than not they put it into the net. Takes time to learn this shot. Don't use it too much our they will get used to it. And it will not be as effective.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 28 May 2011, 17:21 

GrumpyJoe

thanks. Actually, I am rather a passive attacker. I dont normally attack as I chop far away from the table most of the time. Only attack if opponent try to play soft. I would says it prefer defensive play 90% of the time and only attack with LP if I am close to the table and opponent try to play soft.

Sing Guan

PostPosted: 31 May 2011, 06:10 
Super User

I have attacked many years with a variety of long pips rubbers and I have a few points :

My best attack shot is a backhand flick. I use it against backspin balls that are above net height. Your elbow is in, and there is very little arm motion, your wrist is down and loose. When you get the right ball (under spin above net height) slightly turn your waist for power and snap your wrist violently & directly into the ball forward- NOT over. You want to make contact squarely with the ball. The long pips will do the rest, reversing the spin creating topspin rotation.

Do not not think about blasting the ball through your opponent instead think about creating a hard dead shot that sinks his return into the bottom of the net. Remember your racket face must be mostly open maybe only tilted 15 degrees forward. You will have to fine tune for your particular paddle.

Hope this helps,

Ian

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2011, 12:19 

I attack quite a lot from my FH OX although my FH are mostly push blocks and chops to topspins. It accelarates from short and push motion in front of body, rather than a bigger motion for inverted plays.

Blade: Stiga rosewood7 FH: 563-1BH: TSP Spectol

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2011, 02:12 
Super User

I also have to realize some shots are just not worth attacking with long pips-slow spinney loops and powerful loop drives bring 2 of these. balls with under spin should be attacked (at least up to about 2200 USTTA rank-after that....maybe not so much). Watch Ruwen Filus he solves this problem by:

1) Running around to hit his forehand
2) Twiddling and attacking with his inverted
3) realize some long pips are just not very good attacking rubbers or maybe are mounted on blades that are too slow to mount a successful attack-except as an occasional surprise.

On my old Yasaka Cougar (one ply Cypress blade) Phantom 009 1.0mm red (that has Mark V sponge underneath) is an excellent attacking long pip. The blade and thin rubber was an excellent combo! Hard hit balls (fast loops or smashes) could be blocked and the return was extremely fast and weird! Backhand flicks (against chop or push) were brutally effective. It chopped pretty well as too until I got old, and it was too fast to handle.

With my Feint Long 3 on the slow side of my GD Kris-even if I hit the ball solidly its still moving at medium pace unless I really smack it in which case I miss too many. Further the Feint Long 3 really isn't for that. Now the Friendship 837 I have on an all around blade is very good.

Ian

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2011, 16:00 

I'm using dtecs ox and I could attack underspin balls, or no spin balls with it. Try multi ball training so you can find the right angle and timing. Also, hit the ball "on the rise".

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2011, 20:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
IMO there is a LLLLOOONNNNGGGG learning curve in attacking with LP. The OP talks of working on it for a week. I have been intermittently working on it for several years and am not "there yet."

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 05:44 
Super User

ian demagi wrote:
I have attacked many years with a variety of long pips rubbers and I have a few points :

My best attack shot is a backhand flick. I use it against backspin balls that are above net height. Your elbow is in, and there is very little arm motion, your wrist is down and loose. When you get the right ball (under spin above net height) slightly turn your waist for power and snap your wrist violently & directly into the ball forward- NOT over. You want to make contact squarely with the ball. The long pips will do the rest, reversing the spin creating topspin rotation.

Do not not think about blasting the ball through your opponent instead think about creating a hard dead shot that sinks his return into the bottom of the net. Remember your racket face must be mostly open maybe only tilted 15 degrees forward. You will have to fine tune for your particular paddle.
Ian

I often do the same but with LP OX on my FH! Mostly wait underspin return or serve and make FH flick what prospone underspin to my topspindrive fast to cach if opponent is near table or fast loosing hight if oponent is far from the table...sometimes I make wide sidemove if opponent ball has sidespin again prosponing/reversing the opponent spin...

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 05:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: BBC 400
FH: Victax VO > 102
BH: GD Attack Long
guan1966 wrote:
nathanso wrote:
I have TSP Curl P1R 1.0mm and it is not well suited for attack. I recommend two things for you:

1) Change your LP to either Giant Dragon Talon OX, Pogo OX, or Pogo 0.6mm. You want a stiff soft-faced blade for the OX LPs, and keep your LP clean at all times to maintain the grip and consistency that you need for #2..

2) Develop your BH LP topspin stroke that some call the roll stroke. All three of the LPs listed above can perform that stroke (but many less grippy LPs cannot), but it does take lots of practice as the timing is critical.

nathanso

Thanks. But I understand that OX is not really good for chopping away from table. Defense with chop is my main skill. I only go for attacking if opponent play soft and close to table.

Sing Guan
OX LP can chop away from the table just fine; just be sure to use a soft blade. I understand from my coach that OX LP was commonly used by pro choppers in the past, though the modern practice is to use thin sponge. I get significant backspin chopping with Giant Dragon Talon OX.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 10:31 

Hi everyone,

It been a long time since I last posted. Update on my attacking with LP.

Just changed to new set up about a month ago.

Dr N Barricade defence
Forehand: Xiom Omega IV Pro Max
Backhand: TSP Curl P1R

Found that the above give me more control and most importantly. I can perform a backhand flick, something like Ai Fukuhara backhand push. Can land it on table about 70% of the time and find it very useful. I lower my body, hold up my bat alomost 90 degree to the table. Hit at 3 o clock and follow thru closing my bat. (donno really how to describe it.) I dont use conventionally LP push but instead rely on this flick to kill most of on the table soft return.

Just to share out my new findings.

Sing Guan

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 12:34 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Good to see you again guan1966!

Do you use the p-1r with sponge, or in OX?

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 13:59 

haggisv wrote:
Good to see you again guan1966!

Do you use the p-1r with sponge, or in OX?

My P1R with 0.6mm sponge. Most of the time I am chopping, prefer the sponge to absorb some of the energy.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 17:02 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
I think the thin sponge makes that kind of attack easier... I used the p-1r for quite a while too... great chopping rubber!

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 17:24 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
haggisv wrote:
I think the thin sponge makes that kind of attack easier... I used the p-1r for quite a while too... great chopping rubber!

I finally got myself a Pogo with 0.6 sponge off Rob when I played the tourney last week, so I am soon going to test this theory Haggisv given Pogo Ox is the first pip I really started to attack with a lot. When I had a hit with my friends TaChi with Dtecs Ox on it I hit a couple of loop-drives with it on u/spin balls that went back like rockets (and landed). The control on that particular shot with the Dtecs was good, but the overall control was no where near what I get with Pogo Ox. I just don't get much power from the latter.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2011, 17:57 
Super User

RTTE, how does GD Talon compare with Pogo?