OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:24

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: Meteor 845: Review
PostPosted: 24 Nov 2012, 23:55 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
treetop wrote:
Even tho my opponents have extreme difficulty returning my shots generated with the Aurora/Curl they unanimously agree that the 845 and the Neptune are harder to play against. It's a complete disconnect from what I observe. I think the difference is that I can load up more spin with the 845 and the Neptune and they remember that. In contrast the shots, whether blocks or chops, generated by my Curl look relatively benign and harmless. They see me chop with the Curl and misread the amount of spin (because there isn't quite as much) Or blocks appear to them coming back to them kind of floaty and slow. (they are but they are also dropping abruptly). The shots don't "appear" to be a problem to my opponent but they have far more difficulty with the Curl. They chalk it up to a "mishit"

I'm also discovering with the Curl that with the right ball (and proper technique) I can send back chops with enormous amounts of backspin and chops that are dead. I just need to stay closer to the table. So I guess what I'm finding out is that for me, playing a "doing a little bit of everything" kind of style with the Aurora/Curl, might be the answer. I'll keep a chopping rig in the bag for fun (and education) and keep the Aurora.

Tonight I'm going to try Feint II on my Appelgren Allplay....just for fun.

You are saying there isn't as much spin coming from Curl, so people misread it (and make the ball go long?). That is strange because Curl is known to be a chopping machine, with heavy backspin returned on (heavy) loops when chopping the right way. Maybe they misread the spin when you chop/push on low spin balls or backspin balls? Last night, I played against a CurlP1 (with sponge!) blocker, who took the ball extremely fast after the bounce and stood very close to the table all the time. He didn't attack, chop, loop, nothing. I had the impression that he didn't do other strokes because he couldn't control them... And I felt a bit helpless too cause I was forced to play the same game as he did. I won that match but it must have been terrible to watch... Maybe one day you should try Palio OX on Aurora, which is great and disturbing when you choose to play a mainly blocking/pushing game.

I'm curious about your findings with Feint II (with sponge?) cause that will be my first sponged pip (I have a 1.1~1.3 version in red in my closet) to try next year. More for fun, cause I'm really happy with my current set-up.

keme wrote:
Pipsy wrote:
Keme, indeed attacking isn't easy with Palio OX, but it is possible ...

Nice to know. My current setup is sponged CK531a, but I just got a sheet of OX, so I will try out some variants. Thanks for excellent input!

I don't have experience with sponged pips/Palio, but for me the red Palio in OX chops really great away from the table with the Victas blade that has a quite low throw. Blocking is safe too when you take the ball very fast after the bounce. Good passive reversal. Good pushing. Great control. What blade are you using? And what kind of game do you play?

And important, take the yellow packed palio, that one is better then the other. And give it some time to break in, 'cause in the beginning the pips feel stiff and moderate. I found the red one softer and nicer feel (though this could be due to the blade as well...)

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2012, 00:53 
Super User

To clarify I play with Curl P3@R OX.

It's the best rubber I've found to compliment the Aurora.

I did use the Palio for a while but I couldn't control it very well on that blade. But, in fairness, Palio was one of the first LP I tried so maybe I'll revisit it. In fact I've got 4 or 5 different sheets of Palio...2 are still in the original packages untouched.

I hate to say this but I've concluded that I've developed (what little) game I have around the Curl/Aurora combo. It's very effective. Last night I beat a guy waaaaaaaaaay above my pay grade.

I got lucky and found a blade/rubber combination that suits my disposition and physical abilities.

I wanted to chop more and I am. Just closer to the table. The P3@ chops very well but I have to be more selective in what balls I choose to chop.

But what frightens me is the game I'm developing does not translate well to sponged rubber. I just get killed when I play with even the thinnest rubber.

This game is so much fun!

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2012, 20:03 

With M 845 and Neptun you are able to generate much underspin against spinnTS. So far so good.
On a higher level the opponents can do their first strike very fast and spinnless. Then the joy ends quickly.
For survive you then need Curl P1r or DTecs with much as possible sponge.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2012, 21:29 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
Antidefender wrote:
With M 845 and Neptun you are able to generate much underspin against spinnTS. So far so good.
On a higher level the opponents can do their first strike very fast and spinnless. Then the joy ends quickly.
For survive you then need Curl P1r or DTecs with much as possible sponge.

True if you are a pure chopper that steps back immediately. As I've said before, survival on high levels also depends on your playing style. There have been allround OX-players that made it to the world's top 100. They didn't use Curl nor D'tecs.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2022, 22:07 

Hi Everyone
Where can I buy a sheet of Meteor 845 Red ox Long Pimples?

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2023, 21:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

SUBSTANDARD PRODUCT.
Just ordered from aliexpress in blue. Heh, looks fraudulence substandard product non standard chromatical scheme. Deviant from Ittf colour regulation, dark blue is a prohibited coloration by Ittf, sorry.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!