OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2013, 22:52 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I had a hit with 755 today, bit reluctant to put it in the long pimple section because it plays in that grey area between medium and long, 755-2 must play like a pure medium pip if this is anything to go by. The pips aren't all that long but they are thin like a normal long long pimple.

I found it fairly easy to use compared to something properly long like 388d1, its a very mild rubber, not fast and you can hit with it, chop with it etc. I found it "too easy" without any reversal so to speak and its able to generate a little bit of topspin on its own and a little bit of backspin against topspin. Too grippy and not dodgy enough for what I'm after and it didn't produce anymore sink than most medium pips or even Dr Evil. I can chop with more backspin against loop with Dr evil and really the 755 had no advantage over Dr Evil in anything I want to do so I don't I think I'll test this one further. I'll put it in the not slippery enough category.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 11:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Butterfly Timo Boll OFF
FH: Friendship 802-40 2.4mm
BH: Dawei388C-1 Medium pip ox
thanks for that info foam!

It does seem that 755 is a compromise rubber that is not deadly enough at anything to create a real following. That is also the case with Friendship's 804 ANTI, it is said to be "part anti."

Yet, some rubbers that don't get a big following work for some people. Like for me, the 799 is not commonly used compared to many SP, yet it really works for me.

Players can always benefit from input at this forum! Even if it shows them what they don't want!

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 11:37 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
755 is the first long pip I used. It's a great pip to use as an introductory long pip. It's fairly easy to use with good control. Some players do very well with it. They play a very active blocking/hitting style with it. Similar to a long pip, but in general a little more control and less power than a short pip. It's definitely not that "deceptive", but if you can block and hit very well you can win a lot of matches with it. I'm not a good blocker, preferring to go for more "reversal" on defense and more of a tricky action on hits.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 15:41 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

I guess it would be effective against some people when used by some styles but even myself when I've played against medium and mild long pips like this you can treat them just as if you are playing inverted they still hook up enough that you can overpower them with loops fairly easily. Low spin short pips and slippery long pips however both give me fits. Anyway my hitting partner at the moment has only been playing 6 months and he also said the 755 wasn't any problem so I may as well try dtecs on one blade (may as well go all the way on the long scale) Dr evil on another and 802-1 on my third defenders blade :). Narrow it down to those.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 16:33 
Super User

If it wasn't for this topic, I wouldn't even have realized that 755 was somewhere between a medium and long pip-explains why i use to pop it up on my toxic blades. I can't even tell just by looking at the pip length...can't see that small and I don't own one of those fancy magnifying lenses with a field of view or a vernier calipher ( hated those labs!).

I can tell you that 755 OX on a fast blade after you break it in (dont know how many hours), gives enough reversal to make opponents net the ball. My red sheet is about 4 years old and I have a newer sheet which is black and I have used it on my bomb blade...both of these setups gave decent reversal and movement.This is what other higher ranked guys at my club told me and they were surprised to see it was 755 OX...

That being said, another club guy, he's very creditable, said it's got to be used it a quick way, hitting then blocking, or else they'll kill those balls...

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 17:42 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

You can't really call a four year old sheet of something what it used to be. When its new and not worn out its pretty grippy. I guess technically you can use pips for years and they get more dodgy with age but its not going to help me in the long run, better to have consistency and start with a slippery one from new I reckon. With my eyes 755 looks to have 1.5mm pips on the other hand 388d1 looks to be 2mm or very close to it. Big difference, I thought all the long long pips where the same length as 388d1.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 19:49 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

388D-1 is a lot different than 755, it is a lot more grippy and can generally provide a lot more in the way of spin reversal/deception. But, it's probably more difficult to control as well. That's the classic trade-off, on one end of the scale you have a rubber like Pogo or 755 or 834 which are easy to control but not as tricky, then on the other end you have something like Grass D Tec S or dragon Talon, which are much more difficult for opponents to play against but also takes more skill to control.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 21:40 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Yes for sure 388D1 is harder to use but that's the first long pimple I ever used so for me that's how all long pimples feel and how hard they all are to use :). I didn't know some were pretty much no problem to use. Are you saying Pogo is easier to use than 388D1? because I imagined Pogo would be much more difficult, it seems just as dodgy as 388D1 for wobbly effects, maybe worse... How does dtecs and talon compare to 388D1 is controllability ? surely they are 10 times more difficult?.

I can use 388D1 to hit with, just.. it's difficult for me but I would go to about that level of difficulty in a chopping + hitting pip, I wouldn't go further than that. I would still expect more dodgy effects for the same control in a more premium rubber. If I was going to use a long pimple I couldn't see myself using anything less dodgy than 388D1 that is for sure, not at the same cost of control.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 21:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
I have found 755 in all permutations (OX, sponge and 755-2) to play entirely like a pure LP and not close to any medium pip I have ever tried.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 21:49 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

It plays a lot more like 388C1 than 388D1 :)? for me it does, I actually found the TSP P-2 more long pipish than 755.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 23:36 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Pogo is a lot easier to use, from a control standpoint. It gives opponents off-speed balls, some guys adjust and some don't. But when I tried using it against 1700 and above USATT players they didn't have much trouble with it. And it's not fast enough to hit with. At least with 755 if you're going to play aggressive blocking and hitting, it's a little more effective for getting winners off quick hits. I don't know that I can give a percentage of how much more difficult Talon and Grass D Tec S are to play with, but it does take more experience and skill to control. If you started with 388 D-1, you started with a pip that is in my mind similar to Talon, not quite as tricky and a little easier to control, but still grippy enough to give you possibilities to vary spin and attack. If you like that one and want something a little more tricky, give Talon or Grass D Tec S a try. If you want more control, 755 or something like Stiga Destroyer would be good choices. It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to block and hit, 755 or Destroyer would be good choices. If you want to chop and vary spin, you'll want to stick with something like 388 D-1, Talon or Grass D Tec S.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 23:41 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

Thanks that's good info, in my mind if I were to use lp I'd like to hit at the table and chop from distance. I can use 388d1 in that way sort of but it doesn't give me the crisp direct feeling I'd like to have. I still win with more margin using 388d1 against my hitting partner than with any other lp or with inverted so its not that bad. I feel like the "cooked" harder rubber is what I like but I don't know if any lp are firm like that and still hit and chop well.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2013, 23:53 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
The term chop well is relative. If u want heavy chops then softer pips that are grippy will do so. Firm long pips block great but the chops aren't as heavy. At higher levels the heavy chop is normal and doesn't win points outright like it does at lower levels. It's the variation in the chops that wins. I was talking to a guy who played against Chen weixing in Baltimore. He told me his chops were very heavy but he said the fact that some were dead and some were in the middle made him lose more points than the heavier chops.

I find 388d1 in ox good for chop blocking hitting and chopping.
I am not as skillful in chopping but it does give heavy chops. I don't think you could go wrong with this long pip but if u like dr evil I found that banana flips can be executed vs most any spin with that rubber if the shot is short. Plus if you can chop and block with it enough it's good.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 00:03 
Freak of Nature!
Freak of Nature!

That's the thing Dr Evil pretty much does everything other than strong reversal, I can chop heavy enough with Dr Evil for it to cause big problems..So I'm finding it hard to find a lp more useful, I can't generate enough spin with it to get any real curve on a banana return though but if you say its possible I'll give it some practice.

Did you ever try Dr Evil on thin sponge? I wonder about this.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 01:41 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
I dont really get tons of spin to curve off of a banana flip either with dr evil but it does make returning serves easy as well as the reverse of a banana flip kinda side swipe with the wrist following through the opposite way.

I find the returns come back faster than with lp and it is easy to control placement. The problem I encounter with evil is if I'm forced too far off the table. I'm probably just not as good a chopper though. I find hellfire a good lp on most of my blades including the off - one I'm using now... It has gotten better since I've switched it on 5 blades by now and it's got no glue sheet and is worn a bit.

Back to 755. Easy to use but not much different than the doc evil other than speed.