OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:21

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 00:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I own a number of blades suitable for use with LP in OX, but they are died in dark colours, for instance blue (Tibhar Defene Plus) or black (Friendship Black Whirlwind). How to deal with this if you want to use a red OX LP? Most of those are transparant, some extremely so, which means the dark colour shines through the rubber which is forbidden according to ITTF rules, as far as I know. I have found that if I glue a sheet of white paper as used in copying machines onto the blade, using rubber cement, I can then glue the OX LP onto the paper, and this makes the colour right and practically doesn't change the properties of the LP compared to glueing it to the wood directly. Would this be allowed? Are there better, legit solutions?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 07:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
You might have seen one of my recent topics of trying to find opaque glue sheets? That was for the same reasons as I'm searching for the best solution too.

To answer your question, technically only an adhesive layer of not more than 0.1mm is allowed between rubber and blade, so paper would not be legal. An opaque glue sheet would be legal, but they are rare (I had some from the old brand Se7en which don't exist anymore), and I've not been able to locate a source for them.

The other option is to paint the blade (white or red), which may technically also not be legal, but since most blades have some graphics printed on them anyway, it's obviously widely accepted as being legal.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 07:26 
Super User

Couldnt paper be considered a really thin layer of wood? i mean technically they are the same material. I think that could work, and I doubt unless playing at an extremely high level will an umpire ever question it. I think an umpire would prefer the paper to not, seeing as the paper is to make the bat easier for the opponent.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 07:30 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

townhousecrackers wrote:
Couldnt paper be considered a really thin layer of wood? i mean technically they are the same material. I think that could work, and I doubt unless playing at an extremely high level will an umpire ever question it. I think an umpire would prefer the paper to not, seeing as the paper is to make the bat easier for the opponent.

You're right of course... the problem is that you would be completely at their mercy, as their interpretation becomes law at a tournament. Some umpires/referees see things very black & white... :( :( :(

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 16:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
townhousecrackers wrote:

You're right of course... the problem is that you would be completely at their mercy, as their interpretation becomes law at a tournament. Some umpires/referees see things very black & white... :( :( :(

black & red... for if seeing it white, how could the paper be a problem? :angel:

It is strange that there are no opaque glue-sheets. Maybe someone with connections to manufacturers could suggest production of it? There should be a fairly large market for it.

How about opaque glue?

edit: online I found white double-sided glue-sheets of A4 format. I doubt if it will be 0.1 mm or less in thickness, but the difference will likely be immeasurable for practical purposes, therefore not really a problem. I'll post about it if it seems useful.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 16:42 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I'm also not sure if the sheets of double sided adhesive you find at a stationary store will be strong enough... the adhesion of most TT glue sheets is very strong.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 16:49 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
As I recall, Hallmark Original came attached to a white gluesheet.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 18:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
As I recall, Hallmark Original came attached to a white gluesheet.

I wonder if they have the stuff still. I can't find it on their website. I'll contact them about it. It might help just a bit to arouse their interest in the matter if more of us did so.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 18:26 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

I don't remember them ever selling glue-sheets seperately.

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 18:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote:
I don't remember them ever selling glue-sheets seperately.

I emailed them nonetheless. Can't do harm... and I like doing no harm... :)

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 19:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

haggisv wrote
Quote:
The other option is to paint the blade (white or red), which may technically also not be legal, but since most blades have some graphics printed on them anyway, it's obviously widely accepted as being legal.

On reflection, that could be difficult. White paint doesn't cover dark colours unless it is put on very thick, which you wouldn't want. The alternative would be to sand the dark colour off, and leave it like that, but as the dye has soaked the wood, I doubt if that would work without removing too much of the outer ply.
It seems a bit daft to design a blade for defensive purposes, therefore likely to be used with LP, and then give it a dark colour...

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 19:18 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Good point...perhaps red paint would be easier...

PS The dark colours I was referring to are part of the grain of the wood... not easy to sand that off. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 20:12 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
You could always change to black pips, red inverted. 8)

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 21:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mynamenotbob wrote:
You could always change to black pips, red inverted. 8)

not if I want max reversal, which I do

PostPosted: 09 Nov 2013, 21:06 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

And MAX spin with my inverted, which I do... :lol: