OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:57

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 19:54 
Super User

Hi guys,

I have just bought the Feint Long 3 to use on my joo saehyuk blade. I got it in OX in red.

Any reviews on this rubber and how it might play on this blade?

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 19:59 

As far as i know it's a grippy one. So if you are a seasoned LP user you might struggle at the serve returns. I play with P4 which supposedly similar. Easy to hit and push backspin though.

Rasant Powergrip black 2.1

On the dark side since April 2015. Rating 1500 Australia

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015, 23:21 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
ridderz65 wrote:
Hi guys,

I have just bought the Feint Long 3 to use on my joo saehyuk blade. I got it in OX in red.

There are reviews of the sponged version on here if you search (don't forget to search), but I have never heard anyone use it in OX. In sponge, it's grippy...as in.. you can loop with it. I played the sponge version for about 3 months and decided that I wanted something with a little more reversal...which was pretty much all LPs.

In OX, i'd imagine it's a lot less grippy as the sponge really matters a lot. However, I do recall the top sheet is pretty grippy when you brush the ball. You will not get much passive reversal and only active strokes will work to get you underspin. It should be a great chopping rubber and a terrible push blocking rubber.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 00:03 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:
Hi guys,

There are reviews of the sponged version on here if you search (don't forget to search), but I have never heard anyone use it in OX. In sponge, it's grippy...as in.. you can loop with it. I played the sponge version for about 3 months and decided that I wanted something with a little more reversal...which was pretty much all LPs.

In OX, i'd imagine it's a lot less grippy as the sponge really matters a lot. However, I do recall the top sheet is pretty grippy when you brush the ball. You will not get much passive reversal and only active strokes will work to get you underspin. It should be a great chopping rubber and a terrible push blocking rubber.

Thank you :)

If I mostly chop with my LP and I want maximum reversal on the JSH blade, should I be using OX pips or a very thin sponge (0.5mm)? I want to get spin reversal to try to set up a forehand attack.
Can you suggest any rubbers I should try to suit the above? And should I be using OX?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 00:06 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
more spin reversal u will have on OX pips, but more backspin on chops u will have with 0.5mm

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 00:45 
Super User

garbol wrote:
more spin reversal u will have on OX pips, but more backspin on chops u will have with 0.5mm

Perhaps 0.5mm could be worth a try on the JSH blade. What rubbers do you suggest that have the best properties for this?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 01:06 

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
ridderz65 wrote:
If I mostly chop with my LP and I want maximum reversal on the JSH blade, should I be using OX pips or a very thin sponge (0.5mm)? I want to get spin reversal to try to set up a forehand attack.
Can you suggest any rubbers I should try to suit the above? And should I be using OX?

Garbol is correct above. If you want more PASSIVE reversal (ie, continuing the topspin from your opponent) then you want less sponge. If you want to add spin or vary the spin, you should use more sponge. More sponge always means more grip. I capitalized PASSIVE because it’s an important distinction to understand. Both ACTIVE reversal and PASSIVE reversal send back underspin from topsin, but passive reversal implies you are keeping the paddle still and you still send back underspin. Active reversal (ie Chopping/Chopblocking) relies on the speed of your paddle to create underspin (or add underspin). With those, if you cannot chop fast enough, you might not be able to send back the underspin you desire.

I will add one additional qualifier… that the LP topsheets themselves are sometimes grippier and slipperier. The grippier they are, the more you can change or add spin when you chop. The slipperier, the less you can add or change spin to incoming topspin. Therefore the LPs with be the grippiest topsheets on the thickest sponges (and FL3 in a 1.0mm sponge is arguably the grippiest of them all) can vary the spin the most.

So, from all of your questions so far (this and other posts) you should now have a decent idea of which LPs are grippy and slippery. Add to that the fact that more sponge means more grip, and you can make a decision.

I say, stick with the FL3 Ox since you already purchased it, and see if you like it or not. Give it at least 2 months, then you can better formulate an opinion about it, and we can advise from there. It sounds like you are still trying to find yourself style-wise anyways and you may find you aren't as much of a chopper but more of a blocker. I think FL3 Ox is a good first choice if you want to be a chopper, it's slower than most LPs and should do nicely on the JSH.

Stick with what you've got.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 01:11 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:

Garbol is correct above. If you want more PASSIVE reversal (ie, continuing the topspin from your opponent) then you want less sponge. If you want to add spin or vary the spin, you should use more sponge. More sponge always means more grip. I capitalized PASSIVE because it’s an important distinction to understand. Both ACTIVE reversal and PASSIVE reversal send back underspin from topsin, but passive reversal implies you are keeping the paddle still and you still send back underspin. Active reversal (ie Chopping/Chopblocking) relies on the speed of your paddle to create underspin (or add underspin). With those, if you cannot chop fast enough, you might not be able to send back the underspin you desire.

I will add one additional qualifier… that the LP topsheets themselves are sometimes grippier and slipperier. The grippier they are, the more you can change or add spin when you chop. The slipperier, the less you can add or change spin to incoming topspin. Therefore the LPs with be the grippiest topsheets on the thickest sponges (and FL3 in a 1.0mm sponge is arguably the grippiest of them all) can vary the spin the most.

So, from all of your questions so far (this and other posts) you should now have a decent idea of which LPs are grippy and slippery. Add to that the fact that more sponge means more grip, and you can make a decision.

I say, stick with the FL3 Ox since you already purchased it, and see if you like it or not. Give it at least 2 months, then you can better formulate an opinion about it, and we can advise from there. It sounds like you are still trying to find yourself style-wise anyways and you may find you aren't as much of a chopper but more of a blocker. I think FL3 Ox is a good first choice if you want to be a chopper, it's slower than most LPs and should do nicely on the JSH.

Stick with what you've got.

Thank you for all of your help. I will see how this goes!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2015, 05:13 
Super User

I used FL3 with 0.5mm sponge for a few years and really liked it. It was my first LP and I had previously chopped with inverted, so it was not too big a change for me. I found immediately more control of course, but I have since moved to P1-r with 1.0mm sponge and am having even more success with that. FL3 is a good starting point for grippy LP's though, so I say you give it a try.

You may find yourself wanting some sponge to get a little more dwell/control. The FL3 sponge does a lot of dampening against hard shots. I'm not sure you will get this benefit with OX on a fast defensive blade like yours.

USATT Rating: 2013

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 18:24 
Super User

Blade: BTY Viscaria
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Tibhar D.TecS
Sorry for waking up an old thread but I have one question regarding FL3 and spin reversal.

Will FL3 act like an inverted rubber when pushing a backspin push coming from an opponent using inverted? I.e. will FL3 return backspin?

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 20:21 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
mart1nandersson wrote:
Sorry for waking up an old thread but I have one question regarding FL3 and spin reversal.

Will FL3 act like an inverted rubber when pushing a backspin push coming from an opponent using inverted? I.e. will FL3 return backspin?

Light backspin with .5 sponge.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!