OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:35

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Re: TSP Curl P1R 1.5mm
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 22:39 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
ridderz65 wrote:
Would I be right in thinking that with a thicker sponge P1-R, it will allow you to create more spin on a float serve or no spin ball? Would this be better in the thicker sponges rather than the 0.5mm for example?

Yes, but you need to be really wristy and whippy to get enough out of it for it to matter. Otherwise, you send back low spin which a looper treats like a no-spin. Above my level, that's an easy ball for most attackers. For me, it's difficult.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 23:05 
Super User

Japsican wrote:
ridderz65 wrote:
Would I be right in thinking that with a thicker sponge P1-R, it will allow you to create more spin on a float serve or no spin ball? Would this be better in the thicker sponges rather than the 0.5mm for example?

Yes, but you need to be really wristy and whippy to get enough out of it for it to matter. Otherwise, you send back low spin which a looper treats like a no-spin. Above my level, that's an easy ball for most attackers. For me, it's difficult.

See this is what I have wondered. Many pros use the P1-R so how do they deal with no spin serves and float balls with P1-R? As it doesn't create too much of its own spin like Feint 3/Spike P2/Curl P4...

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 01:40 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
ridderz65 wrote:
See this is what I have wondered. Many pros use the P1-R so how do they deal with no spin serves and float balls with P1-R? As it doesn't create too much of its own spin like Feint 3/Spike P2/Curl P4...

I've been wondering the same thing again lately. I've been advised by leatherback that your own spin doesn't matter, but placement (height/lenght) does. I agree to a great degree, but if you watch Joo for example: I've seen him pushing in two ways. One is a fast agressive push creating topspin; the other one is influencing the spin a lot like in this video:

Every time he does a push on this video he really manipulates the ball. You can see the ball is slowing down in the air. I wonder if this is a no spin or backspin push.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 02:01 

I'm almost positive that I get decent underspin on pushes vs. no-spin if I start on the back of the ball and end underneath it, and really move my wrist on the follow through. You have to really brush it though, which can be risky.

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 02:05 

Another thing for me is, I twiddle a lot. So if I really want spin on a push, likely I'll be twiddling.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2016, 05:46 

I like chopping with my curl p1e in .5 i get a lot of counter spin. It is hard to control at times but I'm learning. One thing that is hard for me is returning deep fast flat serves to my pips . does that get easier with thicker sponge? Also does getting thicker sponge mean serve returns may be less easy when it comes to having to read spin and sensitivity.

Also does getting thicker sponge allow for better attacks. Right now I can only hit balls with my pips that are high and close to net and no spin or backspin. If it's deep then I can't. But I see other people do it with their long pips.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 00:44 
Super User

Blade: Diode V ST
FH: V>22 Max
BH: Curl P1V 1.0
benc6190 wrote:
I like chopping with my curl p1e in .5 i get a lot of counter spin. It is hard to control at times but I'm learning. One thing that is hard for me is returning deep fast flat serves to my pips . does that get easier with thicker sponge? Also does getting thicker sponge mean serve returns may be less easy when it comes to having to read spin and sensitivity.

Also does getting thicker sponge allow for better attacks. Right now I can only hit balls with my pips that are high and close to net and no spin or backspin. If it's deep then I can't. But I see other people do it with their long pips.

P1r 0.5 is a great do-it-all LP... Thicker sponge won't help you return serves -better skill will :)
Stay with what you have for a year and then you will know what you need.
My observation has been that until one reaches usatt of say 1700 .. IMHO any popular inverted + any common 0.5 LP would work just fine.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 03:35 

I used someone's paddle which had bty feint long 2 yesterday and I was able to chop well and attack hitting the ball very hard even though it was my first time using it. It was 1.3'll sponge. I am wondering if tsp curl p1r will allow me to do the same in thicker sponge, have better attacking shots.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2019, 03:34 

Blade: Hallmark combi
FH: Hurricane 2 red side
BH: Curl P1 r .5. black side
I've p1r in .05mm. like it. Like it alot. Its a bit away from hardbat styling. Nice n clonkey, feely, controled. I'm kinda thinking, that higher you go, a bigger sponge would be better, in that yes, more uumpf in chopping and spin etc etc. Never tried 1.5 in Lps, as I've always presumed Lps good in ox or small sponge variations for max control. However sps for example play better in thicker sponges say 1.5 or 1.8mm. then, chop and hit possible. In modern defence in current era, I believe essential for a powerful attack so anything to add to that power game, like thicker sponges a good thing.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2020, 17:48 

Blade: Waldner allplay
FH: Dvd pf4 new
BH: Yasaka antipower
Tsp integrated to victas....curl p1 r.i.p....:(

Tapatalkkal küldve az én SM-G965F eszközömről

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2020, 23:29 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Zolko1979 wrote:
Tsp integrated to victas....curl p1 r.i.p....:(

Tapatalkkal küldve az én SM-G965F eszközömről

Victas and TSP were always related and indeed, it seems to be the case. However, I highly doubt they'd abandoned one of their most successful lines of rubbers. It seems they continue to exist.

https://www.victas.com/en_gb/tsp/rubber/curl/curl-p1r

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that