OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 08 May 2024, 04:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: TSP Curl P1R 1.5mm
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 09:57 
Super User

I have changed from TSP Curl P1R 0.5mm to 1.0mm and the change I liked!!!!

With 1.0 mm my game is more versatile (chops to mid distance, blocks, atacks).

What is your trought about TSP Curl P1R 1.5mm?

Post subject: Re: TSP Curl P1R 1.5mm
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2015, 16:07 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
The change from 0.5mm to 1.0mm will be quite a bit bigger than from 1.0mm to 1.5mm. For chopping you should be able to put a bit more backspin on the ball, and you should be able to put more backspin on the ball when chopping very fast loops (if you technique is good), but it will feel a little more bouncy in close.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2015, 10:40 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

I have been using P1r in 1.5 for a few years now and will not use anything else. In 1.5 I feel I get the max backspin in all my chops and also the ability to change the spin easier than with 1.0 or .5 but... that is me. Not all people can control that thickness. It can be a handful sometimes. Doesn't block very well. If you get caught close to the table it takes a very soft hand to get you out of trouble. My advice would be to move up slowly. Use the 1.0 for awhile and get good. Then move up to the next level. And practice, practice, practice.

USATT Rating: 1869

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2015, 05:05 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence II
FH: Tibhar Evolution MX-P 2.2
BH: TSP Curl P1r 0.5mm
GrumpyJoe wrote:
I have been using P1r in 1.5 for a few years now and will not use anything else. In 1.5 I feel I get the max backspin in all my chops and also the ability to change the spin easier than with 1.0 or .5 but... that is me. Not all people can control that thickness. It can be a handful sometimes. Doesn't block very well. If you get caught close to the table it takes a very soft hand to get you out of trouble. My advice would be to move up slowly. Use the 1.0 for awhile and get good. Then move up to the next level. And practice, practice, practice.

so if i can control 1.0 will i be able to control 1.5mm ?

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2016, 07:58 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

garbol wrote:
GrumpyJoe wrote:

so if i can control 1.0 will i be able to control 1.5mm ?

With practice you will be able to. The switch from .5 to 1.0 will be about the same as going from 1.0 to 1.5 I would say. The biggest problem you will have is when you get caught close to the table.

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2016, 01:36 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Blade: Victas Matsushita Off
FH: Tibhar EL-s 1.9
BH: Victas Curl P1V 1.0
I don't really agree that the thickness of the sponge has anything to do with 'level' or 'moving up'. You can say 'not all people can control 1.5', but you can just as easily say 'not all people can control OX'. Coming from inverted, 1.5 might be easier than OX. Also, apart from the world top, I've got the impression there are more high level players with OX than with sponge.

I tried Curl P1r in all thicknesses. I recently tried a 1.5 which I got from Lorre and even though chopping hard loops was easier/softer, I still preferred the 1.0 version in almost all areas. But that's very personal.

GrumpyJoe wrote:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 08:22 
Chop or I'll Shoot
Chop or I'll Shoot

Pipsy wrote:
I don't really agree that the thickness of the sponge has anything to do with 'level' or 'moving up'. You can say 'not all people can control 1.5', but you can just as easily say 'not all people can control OX'. Coming from inverted, 1.5 might be easier than OX. Also, apart from the world top, I've got the impression there are more high level players with OX than with sponge.

I tried Curl P1r in all thicknesses. I recently tried a 1.5 which I got from Lorre and even though chopping hard loops was easier/softer, I still preferred the 1.0 version in almost all areas. But that's very personal.

GrumpyJoe wrote:

Pipsy, I think I might have miss spoke on "moving up" Didn't mean levels. I was referring to sponge sizes. Sorry for the confusion.

MOLON LABE!!!

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 09:41 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

Ok, thanks Joe, it was probably just me misunderstanding it, I'm not native English...

GrumpyJoe wrote:
Pipsy wrote:

GrumpyJoe wrote:

Pipsy, I think I might have miss spoke on "moving up" Didn't mean levels. I was referring to sponge sizes. Sorry for the confusion.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 22:01 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
Pipsy wrote:

Yes and no. it depends on what kind of player you are. IMO more mobile = more capable of defending with OX. IMO wanting more control of the spin in rally = more sponge. But the latter is more required when going higher, because attackers become smarter and smarter. Unless you can keep up the running, you better go to at least 1.0mm sponge.

About the thick P1-R: you might think otherwise in a couple of years, when your chopping progresses. I've experienced this myself.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2016, 23:54 
Reverse Psychologist
Reverse Psychologist

If I would only have to chop heavy loops, I might consider 1.5mm. But I found the 1.5 a little bouncier than 1.0 in the short game and had less 'feel'... Could of course be due to the fact that I'm used to 1.0. I'll give the 1.5 other chances in the future, maybe on a smaller blade cause the sheet I got is smaller then the regular JSH-size

Again, I don't think thickness of sponge has much to do with chopping experience (purely for chopping loops, I even found 1.5 a little easier ans softer than 1.0) but with two other things:
1) the opponents' game. At the second highest level of my region a large part of the players still play more allround (sometimes with anti or pips) then constantly looking for (power-)looping. Don't know if that's so much different for your region.
2) your own amount of looping. I'd say you are maybe 90% defender, I alter more between FH-attack and defense.

Have you already tried Neptune?

Lorre wrote:
Pipsy wrote:

Yes and no. it depends on what kind of player you are. IMO more mobile = more capable of defending with OX. IMO wanting more control of the spin in rally = more sponge. But the latter is more required when going higher, because attackers become smarter and smarter. Unless you can keep up the running, you better go to at least 1.0mm sponge.

About the thick P1-R: you might think otherwise in a couple of years, when your chopping progresses. I've experienced this myself.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 00:27 
Joo Too
Joo Too

IMO thickness certainly has to do with chopping experience. When i started as a chopper my first LP was C&F III 1.0. When I tried P1-R in the same thickness, I immediately felt a drop in disturbing effects and my technique couldn't cope with that drop. It's true the passive control is awesome, but if you don't have an active hand, you're shot practice for good loopers/hitters.
After a while I could cope with it, but that was after I started using DTecs 1.2 in league play. It took me two years to go to P1-R 1,5mm then. I started using it for a month in 2013, but it wasn't the right time (and I didn't have the right mindset: I was in doubt about who I was as a player). I tried it again in 2014 and although my level dropped a bit, I felt the potential it had (control, amount of spin,...). Now: well, my level is better than what I've ever achieved using DTecs, P1-R being one of the factors for that progress involved. So getting more active hands will direct you to thicker sponged LPs (at least 1mm). So unless you're a real acrobat, you'll need to go to thicker LPs.

It's a bit bouncier in the short game (unless you manipulate the spin more, in which case the ball lasts longer in the pips), but IMO it has more feel than the 1.0mm version.

If I give advise to a beginning chopper, I always tell them to use 0,5mm P1-R and go from there.

I think our regions are alike, but even then I prefer the thicker P1-R because of manipulation options this thing can give you against more allrounded players.

You have a point there looping more frequently lowers the thickness you need in your LP, because you don't have time to make a full chopping movement when transitioning.

Nope, haven't tried the Neptune yet. I worked on my skills instead, because I found them to be lagging the last couple of weeks (especially defense).

Pipsy wrote:
If I would only have to chop heavy loops, I might consider 1.5mm. But I found the 1.5 a little bouncier than 1.0 in the short game and had less 'feel'... Could of course be due to the fact that I'm used to 1.0. I'll give the 1.5 other chances in the future, maybe on a smaller blade cause the sheet I got is smaller then the regular JSH-size

Again, I don't think thickness of sponge has much to do with chopping experience (purely for chopping loops, I even found 1.5 a little easier ans softer than 1.0) but with two other things:
1) the opponents' game. At the second highest level of my region a large part of the players still play more allround (sometimes with anti or pips) then constantly looking for (power-)looping. Don't know if that's so much different for your region.
2) your own amount of looping. I'd say you are maybe 90% defender, I alter more between FH-attack and defense.

Have you already tried Neptune?

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 11:28 
Chop the Ball not the Beard!

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
hey guys, I am trying the curl p1r in 1.5 version...
I will post some more details after some more chopping...

But some initial impressions:
_ easy to attack
_ need to chopp under the ball, not in the back of it like the 1.0
_ the control is really good for a thick sponge
_ i could chopp a lot more heavy with the 1.0 sponge, but i think its because i am used to the 1.0 version...

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 20:15 
Joo Too
Joo Too

manofan wrote:
hey guys, I am trying the curl p1r in 1.5 version...
I will post some more details after some more chopping...

But some initial impressions:
_ easy to attack
_ need to chopp under the ball, not in the back of it like the 1.0
_ the control is really good for a thick sponge
_ i could chopp a lot more heavy with the 1.0 sponge, but i think its because i am used to the 1.0 version...

I found you get the best chop when you start your chop from behind and end up in front of the ball.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 22:13 

Blade: Victas Matsushita
FH: hybrid k1 euro
BH: Curl p1r 1.0
Lorre wrote:
I found you get the best chop when you start your chop from behind and end up in front of the ball.

Ok, thanks lorre i will try this way...

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2016, 21:43 
Super User

Would I be right in thinking that with a thicker sponge P1-R, it will allow you to create more spin on a float serve or no spin ball? Would this be better in the thicker sponges rather than the 0.5mm for example?