OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 17:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 08:42 

Hello, I would like to introduce myself, apologizing in advance for the extensiveness of this post :?:

I live in Chile, I am 46 years old, and about 20 years ago, I stopped playing due to a motorcycle accident. I have several injuries, including osteoarthritis of the hip and knee. For now I live well, some regular pain, but nothing extraordinary, I can move and play relatively normal. The doctor suggested me to do some sport activity, and I remembered table tennis.

I never had any formal training, but I played quite a bit in college, even winning a couple of amateur tournaments. About 2 or 3 months ago, I found a club in the city where I live, and I am taking up my game again, as well as taking my children to learn.

The club has a very nice coach, he seems to know quite a bit, but I feel he has a pretty standardized system of teaching. For my kids it might be ok, if they get to like it enough, they can develop their full potential with good coaching. The thing is, he works the same way with me.

As I mentioned, I never had formal training, and now I have fun at it. But the thing is, because of my age and especially my physical issues, I won't be able to develop the same style of play as the younger guys, even if I wanted to.

So, now that I've been watching pro matches, training videos and so on, I've been very attracted to the defensive game, and therefore I'm forming some conviction that it might be the best option for me. I have always had a good backhand game, and an acceptable forehand. As I was telling you, because of my joint problems, I will lose mobility faster than other men of my age, so I think a game close to the table, with long pimps blocking on the backhand. As a goal, I believe that if I train conscientiously this style, in 3 or 4 years, I can start to fight in master 50+ tournaments (at least as a personal challenge) 8)

And this is where I am looking for help from the Long Pimple rubbers forum. Maybe I'm asking too much, but would it be possible to ask you for a development guide for my defensive game?

I mean, if you can give me recommendations and advice. Not from scratch as a player, but from a defensive style point of view.

For example, I don't have my own paddle yet (I play with a beginners paddle that is in the club). So, which one should I start with? A cheap one (Yinhe 980, Palio Chopper, Sanwei Alpha, Tibhar Defense Plus, etc), to start with, and then upgrade as I improve? Or do I start with a more expensive one from the beginning (I can't buy one too expensive yet either). Moreover, should I use a defensive blade necessarily? I see some of you use Viscaria and other very offensive woods with ox pips, so I get quite confused... sorry :/

As in the blade, what type of rubber? With or without sponge? What thickness? Should I try a few options first?
Some last longer than others?

That's a lot of questions, I know. But it would help me a lot if you can give me a hand.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 18:39 
Super User

Blade: Matador
FH: Dignics09C
BH: Scandal
JuanFra wrote:
Hello, I would like to introduce myself, apologizing in advance for the extensiveness of this post :?:

I live in Chile, I am 46 years old, and about 20 years ago, I stopped playing due to a motorcycle accident. I have several injuries, including osteoarthritis of the hip and knee. For now I live well, some regular pain, but nothing extraordinary, I can move and play relatively normal. The doctor suggested me to do some sport activity, and I remembered table tennis.

I never had any formal training, but I played quite a bit in college, even winning a couple of amateur tournaments. About 2 or 3 months ago, I found a club in the city where I live, and I am taking up my game again, as well as taking my children to learn.

The club has a very nice coach, he seems to know quite a bit, but I feel he has a pretty standardized system of teaching. For my kids it might be ok, if they get to like it enough, they can develop their full potential with good coaching. The thing is, he works the same way with me.

As I mentioned, I never had formal training, and now I have fun at it. But the thing is, because of my age and especially my physical issues, I won't be able to develop the same style of play as the younger guys, even if I wanted to.

So, now that I've been watching pro matches, training videos and so on, I've been very attracted to the defensive game, and therefore I'm forming some conviction that it might be the best option for me. I have always had a good backhand game, and an acceptable forehand. As I was telling you, because of my joint problems, I will lose mobility faster than other men of my age, so I think a game close to the table, with long pimps blocking on the backhand. As a goal, I believe that if I train conscientiously this style, in 3 or 4 years, I can start to fight in master 50+ tournaments (at least as a personal challenge) 8)

And this is where I am looking for help from the Long Pimple rubbers forum. Maybe I'm asking too much, but would it be possible to ask you for a development guide for my defensive game?

I mean, if you can give me recommendations and advice. Not from scratch as a player, but from a defensive style point of view.

For example, I don't have my own paddle yet (I play with a beginners paddle that is in the club). So, which one should I start with? A cheap one (Yinhe 980, Palio Chopper, Sanwei Alpha, Tibhar Defense Plus, etc), to start with, and then upgrade as I improve? Or do I start with a more expensive one from the beginning (I can't buy one too expensive yet either). Moreover, should I use a defensive blade necessarily? I see some of you use Viscaria and other very offensive woods with ox pips, so I get quite confused... sorry :/

As in the blade, what type of rubber? With or without sponge? What thickness? Should I try a few options first?
Some last longer than others?

That's a lot of questions, I know. But it would help me a lot if you can give me a hand.

Have you ever thought about trying out anti, or you definitely want to stick to the long pimples?

Blade: Dr. Neubauer Matador (flared handle, 7-ply, allwood, OFF-)
Forehand Rubber: Butterfly Dignics09C (2.1 mm, black, hybrid)
Backhand Rubber: Der Materialspezialist Scandal (1.2 mm, red, frictionless)
Playing Style: Modern Defender

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 23:20 

Hi, I play a close to the table defensive style mainly blocking and aggresive pushing
on the backhand with a good forehand hit.
For my style I have settled on Tibhar D-Techs red ox on the backhand and a Tibhar defence plus 1mm rubber
on the forehand.
I started usuing a Tibhar defence plus blade and after spending LOTS of money came back to it.
The blade is a reasonable price.
D-Techs rubber is dear but for my game and good reversal IMHO its the best.
The downside its not to easy to hit with and I mainly block and push.
You could off course chop with it but at my advanced years I no longer do this.
If you want to hit there is lots of LP rubbers which are fairly cheap but reversal not as good.
Meteor 8512 is very cheap and I found it ok.
All the best.
George.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 23:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Tibhar Force Pro SE
FH: Razka XX max, black
BH: LP OX, Monkey/SavigaV
Here are my recommendations. I am sure not all will agree with me. I do think a good discussion with the club coach is the best place to start and to pick some equipment and stay with it.

Blade: I have the best success with a 7 ply wood blade that is fairly offensive (yasaka falck W7). I started originally with a 7 ply wood, went to defensive blade and did 5 ply blades, but I like the linearity of a 7 ply wood. You will see people using all kinds of blades. I am not sure what expensive is in your situation, my wood blade is 59 US dollars at the most expensive place I buy from.
I strongly prefer a straight blade so I can flip it (twiddle) during a point.

For close to the table play the consensus will be LP with out sponge (OX), but for me, I just cannot play that way and use 1.0-1.2 sponge. It allows me to push underspin balls and to occasionally to back off the table and chop.

Don't chase the holy grail of the "best LP" that is a recipe for delayed development. Coaching and good training is how we improve. IMO. Good luck!

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2023, 23:45 

GregorTT425 wrote:
Have you ever thought about trying out anti, or you definitely want to stick to the long pimples?

Any recommendation will be welcome :up: