OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 07:44

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Sauer & Troeger Monkey
PostPosted: 02 May 2023, 06:03 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
https://sauer-troeger.com/en/monkey/

Came across this rubber today. First, the picture cracked me up. And that English translation "monkey-horny long pimple" is totally cracking me up. :rofl:

On a more serious note, the description is pretty much identical to Hellfire X, and the ratings on their site are almost identical.
I absolutely LOVE the Hellfire X ox on my Stiga Cybershape blade. It's an amazing combination. I'm just wondering, what is the difference between Monkey and Hellfire X is. If anybody has tried this or knows more, I'd like to know.

I just don't want to be "monkey-horny" :rofl:

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 03 May 2023, 07:24 

Blade: BTY innerforce Layer ZLF
FH: Nittaku Fastarc G1 max
BH: Xiom Vega Europe max
dwruck wrote:
https://sauer-troeger.com/en/monkey/

Came across this rubber today. First, the picture cracked me up. And that English translation "monkey-horny long pimple" is totally cracking me up. :rofl:

On a more serious note, the description is pretty much identical to Hellfire X, and the ratings on their site are almost identical.
I absolutely LOVE the Hellfire X ox on my Stiga Cybershape blade. It's an amazing combination. I'm just wondering, what is the difference between Monkey and Hellfire X is. If anybody has tried this or knows more, I'd like to know.

I just don't want to be "monkey-horny" :rofl:

I have a monkey OX, blue, on the way for testing. When it arrives I'll post my perceptions.

could you do me something about the cybershap carbon stiga? how is the control with hellfire? And on the forehand, too fast or do you have control? how does it compare to the speed of the dr neubauer matador texa carbon?

Thank you very much in advance.

PostPosted: 03 May 2023, 21:54 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
I will be looking forward to your review!

I love the Cybershape with the Hellfire X. There's something about the combination of that stiff blade with the grippy Hellfire X that gives a lot of spin reversal. It did take some adjustment to get used to the speed at first. For many years I used long pips on defensive to allround blades, then more recently, frictionless antispin rubbers with the stiff carbon blades. So at first, I was too open with my blade angle and everything was going long. Once I adjusted my blade angle, I was doing much better. Obviously, against a hard loop I can't drop the ball short like a frictionless anti or a slower defensive blade can. However, as we all know, spin reversal using long pips with the plastic ball is much less than in the old days. However, with this combination, I have had many players surprised by the amount of reversal a passive block can get, including my coach, who is very skilled at long pips. There's got to be something about the low dwell time of the blade with the grip of the pips that make it that way. I tested out a couple of other long pips on that blade. I didn't like the Dr Neubauer Punch on it at all. Also tried the DMS Spectre, which had good control but nowhere near the spin reversal.

On the forehand, it was a big adjustment, coming from the DMS Carbon Deluxe, and before that, the Dr N Matador (regular version). With the DMS Carbon I was using MX-P and having good success. But on the Cybershape it was not controllable for me. Also tried the Stiga DNA Platinum, and that was a little better. But things really started going well for me when my coach recommended Tenergy 19. I feel like, for me, it has enough grip so that it doesn't just fly off the blade and gives me control with power and spin. After a few months of training, a lot of players I've known for years have told me that my forehand is better than it's ever been.

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2023, 02:09 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

Blade: Nittaku Shake Defense
FH: Tibhar EvolutionELP 1.9mm
BH: Saviga Super Block OX
Here is an official test video from Sauer & Troeger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgnWxou ... r%E2%84%A2

The trajectory of blocks looks to be super low. Unfortunately, he doesn't show any passive blocking, only chop-blocks.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2023, 19:36 
Super User

Blade: D. M. S. The Wall Def-
FH: S&T Secret Flow Chop
BH: Spectre OX
No passive blocking because is a long pips designed to play active.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2023, 03:56 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

merlin el mago wrote:
No passive blocking because is a long pips designed to play active.

Well, they're all designed to play actively nowadays because you can't win against good attackers with pure passive blocking, but I still would've liked to have seen the trajectory of the ball and the level of spin reversal on passive blocks because the reality is that when you're playing, you don't always have time to chop-block and, in fact, sometimes it's good to throw passive blocks in there to create a different trajectory and different spin level to keep the attacker off balance.

IV. Sauer & Troger Firestarter; FH: Spinlord Waran 1.8mm; BH: Giant Dragon Snowflake OX

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2023, 23:17 
Super User

I disagree, not all long pips are made to play active.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2023, 02:20 
Chopoleon Bonaparte

merlin el mago wrote:

I guess what I'm saying is that there are NO long pips anymore which you can just block with passively and expect to win too regularly above a U.S. 1900 level or so. It's too easy for a good looper to blow right through your blocks. You need to chop-block and use passive blocks as variations. But, as I said, I would've liked to see what a passive block with this rubber looks like.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2023, 02:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
Passive blocking ? DG,definitely on a stiff blade , better def / all for consistency ,imo

Use one sheet for training,the other one for competition due to the infamous poor durability .

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2023, 06:30 
Super User

Blade: Xiom Michelangelo
FH: andro Rasanter R48
BH: Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2023, 07:05 
Super User

Appears to be a good and effective blade and long pip rubber combo demonstrated by a long pips legend! :)

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2023, 23:10 
Super User

TraditionalTradesman wrote:
merlin el mago wrote:

I guess what I'm saying is that there are NO long pips anymore which you can just block with passively and expect to win too regularly above a U.S. 1900 level or so. It's too easy for a good looper to blow right through your blocks. You need to chop-block and use passive blocks as variations. But, as I said, I would've liked to see what a passive block with this rubber looks like.

I guess we are speaking of material, about skills or technical level is other story.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2023, 10:12 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
I actually quite like Monkey. It's slow, has super control, a low trajectory, blocks short and chop blocks well, takes hard hits well, and attacks pretty well. Disruption is minimal, but I can stay close and distribute the ball around the table with great control, which fits my game.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2023, 16:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Grubba all Plus
FH: Spinfire 1.5
BH: Bomb Talent OX
mynamenotbob wrote:
I actually quite like Monkey. It's slow, has super control, a low trajectory, blocks short and chop blocks well, takes hard hits well, and attacks pretty well. Disruption is minimal, but I can stay close and distribute the ball around the table with great control, which fits my game.

+1 .One of the reasons for choosing Monkey in ox is the slowness with decent reversal.This slowness helps consistency a lot .I did find out that DMS the Wall gives WAY more effect than TSP balsa 2.5,thus,enhancing the effectiveness of the pip a lot .

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2023, 15:11 
Modern Chiseler.
Modern Chiseler.

Blade: WRM Gokushu2
FH: S&T Secret Flow 1mm
BH: S&T Monkey ox
charmander defender wrote:
+1 .One of the reasons for choosing Monkey in ox is the slowness with decent reversal.This slowness helps consistency a lot .I did find out that DMS the Wall gives WAY more effect than TSP balsa 2.5,thus,enhancing the effectiveness of the pip a lot .

I need to update my profile. I've actually been using the shakehand version of the WRM Gokushu 2 as seen in this video. It's tops.

The MNNB Blog has had some pretty amazing stuff lately. Just click this text to check it out.
| My OOAK Interview
Table Tennis Video Links: itTV | laola1.tv | ttbl | fftt | Challenger Series | mnnb-tv

My whole set-up costs less than a sheet of Butterfly Dignics